Anybody got any tips for a new guy?

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Anybody got any tips for a new guy?

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:23 pm

I have been huntin all my life and just started duckin a couple years ago. Me and my cousin mostly float on creeks and ponds around middle Ky but we want to try different things and was thinkin about heading to Ballard county and maybe peabodies some this year. Is there Much ducks over there and what all do we need? We got a canoe and some decoys and a few calls. Thanks for any help pointin us in the right direction. Jduck
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Re: Anybody got any tips for a new guy?

Postby mmayes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:40 pm

I can't speak for Ballard County, but Peabody has some ducks (not a ton) but for consistant shooting you will need to get way off the beaton path. The place is rather large so scouting will be essential.
Wite CIty/Joseph Faye Britt tract of peabody the main slough can have excellent shooting during the week with minimal pressure but come the weekend it is crowded. The best time to hunt it would be just as it starts to lock up. there is also a large slough on the opposite side of pond river from the boat ramp on the river that also can provide good shooting. or float hunting pond river jump shooting.

Remember if you go to Peabody you have to purchase the user permit.

As far as what you will need. ideal for white city slough would be a mud motor set up, but a canoe will work well. should you choose to hunt other places the canoe and will be fine.

Good Luck

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Thank you sir. What kind of ducks are on the pond river for floating? We general blast wood ducks but lat year my cousin shot a greenhead duck and I got one that he was a hen but I looked it up and think it was a black mallard. We might go to slews too heard it was good up anround jennys hole or the bottoms or some place like that. It sounds like a whole different duck huntin world from what we do here.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby mmayes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:17 pm

JamieDuck1993 wrote:Thank you sir. What kind of ducks are on the pond river for floating? We general blast wood ducks but lat year my cousin shot a greenhead duck and I got one that he was a hen but I looked it up and think it was a black mallard. We might go to slews too heard it was good up anround jennys hole or the bottoms or some place like that. It sounds like a whole different duck huntin world from what we do here.

Mallards, Black Ducks, Wood Ducks, and Teal can be found up and down the river. I am not a fan of the Sloughs for hunting, but it all depends on what blind you get. jenny hole ca have good shooting, but once again you have to contend with the crowds. If you plan on hunting those places I would hunt them during the week.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks. Do you hunt the river? Is it lots of currents and stuff? And I have a friend that said down there you can go about anywhere you want as long as it touches the river. He said what you said about lots of ducks there too. I'm definatley gonna give that a try and on the map it doesn't look as far as paducha and all the places down there.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:41 pm

JamieDuck1993 wrote:Thanks. Do you hunt the river? Is it lots of currents and stuff? And I have a friend that said down there you can go about anywhere you want as long as it touches the river. He said what you said about lots of ducks there too. I'm definatley gonna give that a try and on the map it doesn't look as far as paducha and all the places down there.

When you're a celebrity like mmayes you don't have to hunt public. Invitations usually roll in about 6 PM the night before.

All kidding aside, I've had some awesome years at White City and some terrible years. I would hunt it Monday through Friday during my college Christmas break then let the weekend warriors have it Saturday and Sunday. Take a spot light and some boxing gloves if you hunt it on the weekend and don't show up past 4:30.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mmayes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:47 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:
JamieDuck1993 wrote:Thanks. Do you hunt the river? Is it lots of currents and stuff? And I have a friend that said down there you can go about anywhere you want as long as it touches the river. He said what you said about lots of ducks there too. I'm definatley gonna give that a try and on the map it doesn't look as far as paducha and all the places down there.

When you're a celebrity like mmayes you don't have to hunt public. Invitations usually roll in about 6 PM the night before.

All kidding aside, I've had some awesome years at White City and some terrible years. I would hunt it Monday through Friday during my college Christmas break then let the weekend warriors have it Saturday and Sunday. Take a spot light and some boxing gloves if you hunt it on the weekend and don't show up past 4:30.

I was waiting to see if you would chime in as you have hunted that area before as well. At least you backed up what I have told him. as for the don't show up after 4:30, I think they changed the rules to no one can put in before 4am so that should make things interesting down there on Turkey day.

BTW- you are the celeb here. You have the new hot spot down on the Creek right next to the legend BM himself. :bow:

But you are correct I don't hunt public much. But when i do its always a couple of secret honey holes that are very hard to get too.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby mmayes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Depending on how high the water is dictates the currents. If it is low not bad at all if up the water is whiping up and down through there. Be careful on taking the if it is on the river its fair game. There is some private land down through there and a couple of the landowners will prove otherwise on trespassing.

Like i said before there are ducks there but alot of pressure. Yes the place is at least an hr and a half closer than Ballard and 45 closer than hendo and the Sloughs. There is also a Motel about a mile from White City and a truck stop as well. Madisonville is only about 6 miles away with some decent places to eat and it is wet.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:17 am

It's by madisonville? i thought peabody was over by uncle lees. anyway do they have a blind draw for the white city-peabodys place or is it just free lance do your own thing? I like to explore and find all the places where nobody puts out enough to get to so I can get away from the crowd and bust the ducks.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 am

White City/ Faye Britt is by Madisonville. No blind draw for White City, it's basically a big slough. Pond River isn't too far down the road and has some good spots if the water is up. As long as you have your permit, you're free to hunt if you can get a spot.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:28 pm

How expensive is the permits? Do I need a big boat or is my canoe ok? I can hook a trolling motor to it and go a long ways. Is there anywhere to camp out I have a big wall tent and it'll save me the $$ from going to a motel. And where is Aintry ? I looked on a map and couldn't find it is it near white city or on the other side of peabodys? you guys have been real helpful so far and I don't want to be nosin in on your spots but I just want to bust some ducks .
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:51 pm

You seem to be a youngster...main thing is to be safe and when operating a boat wear a life vest!!!
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm not that young. Where is Aintry?
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:04 pm

I jog past it everyday. Not too far up the road from you.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?um=1& ... 0561936867
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kydrake » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:21 pm

The most important tip out there is be careful whether in a boat or not!! It doesnt take very deep water to get in bad shape when its real cold out. :thumbsup:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:28 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:I jog past it everyday. Not too far up the road from you.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?um=1& ... 0561936867

ducks near lexington?
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Tates Creek has ducks all over the place, you just need to know where to look.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:04 am

you should of put in for the blind drawings and quota hunts. make sure and do that next year. i dont know ne thing about the places they are talking about right now but I do kno i wouldnt get in no canoe on a swift river.

do some internet scouting and you will find some places. you may find some guys closer to your area that you could hunt with. try kentuckyhunting.net just as many guys on that site as well as here.

good luck. if you venture this far west i could help direct you to some decent areas
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 am

how do you internet scout?
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 am

Looks like I missed the blind drawings but I got a chance to go to missouri with some guys from here. They don't know how to call and I'm a real good caller so I get to go on a lot of hunts like that. Missouri should be great. I'm so excited I love bustin ducks!

jduck
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:39 am

whats internet scouting you ask.... well your already doing it and you dont even know. look at the topic iternet scouting 101.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:37 pm

I read all of that and it looks like just checking stuff out. I'm glad I'm a great caller because it helps me get into some places that most normal guys wouldn't get invited to . They like to bring me along because they know if the ducks get close enough to hear my custom built call that I can bring 'em right in and then we can bust em.

So I am not really trying to bum or mooch off of anyone ..I just kind of trade my services for a chance to hunt some new areas. It's really kind of simple and I help a lot of guys that don't have much callin skills.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:33 pm

:lol: :lol: Dude are you serious about how good you are at calling?
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:48 pm

yes . I am a good caller. I have a natural gift and have spent lots of time practicing . I love to watch the way the ducks lock up and glide when I give em a few sweet notes. Have you ever hunted with a really good caller?
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:51 pm

yeah every time I go hunting I hunt with a good caller. Me lol.

how many championships have you won Foiles Jr.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Next

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting