Anyone hunting coyotes?

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Anyone hunting coyotes?

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Just wondering if anyone chases coyotes. I made a few attempts up in Illinois a few years ago but we did more joking around than actually trying to kill anything. The thing that gets me is: why can't ya hunt em at night down here? I know that I could kill a few behind my house at night but (and I haven't tried it yet so I don't know for sure) it just seems that killing em during the daylight hours is much harder.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Re: Anyone hunting coyotes?

Postby FOWLER2671 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:17 pm

They outlawed the night shooting cause too many big bucks looked like coyotes.

We used to try it back in the 80s before coyotes were near as common as they are now. Red fox were more likely to come than a coyote. We killed a huge reddish yellow house cat one night that came to the call. It hung from a belt all the way to the ground.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby Andy W » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:04 am

I hunt crows & coyotes mainly after goose season ends. It helps with the withdrawal period.
Andy W
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:55 am

if you know how to hunt em we need to get together we got a bunch on our farm we lease. wouldnt mind knocking a few down. the smaller yotes will eat out of my deer corn pile lol
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby kydrake » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:58 pm

Ive hunted coyotes but Outlaw and myself would rather hunt cougars!! :yes:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Well, I know how to hunt em at night with a spotlight and a call...during the day I have never tried it so can't say whether I could do much good. It would be fun to give it a try and they definitely could be thinned out.
Cougar hunting was fun before I was married. So, how many shots does it take from a small pistol to take down a cougar anyway?
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting