Duck boats

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Duck boats

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:46 am

what is best boats for duck huntin?
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Re: Duck boats

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:11 am

I prefer a barge :thumbsup:
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby mmayes » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:40 am

That is a question with so many possible answers. Tell me what you are wanting to do and I will be more than happy to make some suggestions on boats that will work well.

I.E. you plan on hunting big water, small creeks/rivers, shallow sloughs, or pond. How many people and gear you plan on taking etc.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby kydrake » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:49 am

I agree with Mayes. What is the primary type of situation your gonna be running it in and what size of load.
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby FOWLER2671 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Prodrive all the way! :bow:
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:44 am

One with several holes in it!! :biggrin:
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2

Postby kydrake » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:08 pm

FOWLER2671 wrote:Prodrive all the way! :bow:

A Mudbuddy will run circles around it!! :yes: :yes:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby quackstacker2 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:23 pm

Prodrive all the way!!

quackstacker2

Postby RNT_MAN » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:02 pm

The best duck boat is one you can afford that will get you to your spot and back everytime alive.
"Blow blow cold north wind, blow those mallard greenheads in.."
"Kill counts are for snipers and fighter pilots, not duck hunters."
RNT_MAN
hunter

Postby mox » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Watch what you say when you refer to a boat "you can afford." You may be able to afford the price tag but sales price doesn't show cost for new props, $100 here for this part, $300 there for that, flat on the trailer, boat blind if you need it, painted flames on the side, GPS coords for the Aintry Bottoms...
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby dixieduckslayer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:40 pm

Im partial to Pro-Drive...while they might get out run on speed, I dont want my possible saftey resting on a belt, rather have some gears in there.
Dixie Duck Slayers....Kentucky's Elite Duck Hunting Team
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:09 pm

If anyone is looking there is a 16' river jon with an old johnson 25 and trailer for 2 grand on VCI classifieds. It's been up for a while so you may be able to get the price knocked down. Should be a good solid boat for someone.
I have been dreaming of a 24 ft seaark since I first saw em a few years ago. Slap a 115 tiller motor on it and it would be great for the river and the big lakes. For the smaller waters give me at least a 16 river jon and a 30 horse tiller.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby mike_b » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:36 pm

really depends on what you want to do with it. I have a 16' boat with a blind and all, 40hp tiller motor. It moves 2-3 people good up river, may be a bit slow with 4 people in it over its rating. The bad part is there are so many creeks in central KY, its too big. I'm stuck to using it on rivers and lakes and some of those are off limits for other reasons.

If its just you and another guy, a 14ft boat and 20+hp motor will get you around lakes and rivers. You may also enjoy a small kayak or sneak boat around here on some smaller lakes or rivers.

I wouldn't want a massive boat unless I had some big water that held tons of ducks to take it. Depending on when and where you hunt, you may want some accessories on your boat like lights, gun box, commode, grill, etc.
mike_b
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:27 am

I have a 17 ft with a 40 ob that I can put almost anywhere in Ky short of the shallowest of mud. I have an old 16 ft with a small mud motor for that.

The big boat has been 14 miles out in the ocean on a calm day as well as in some very tight timber. You get differant capabilities with each style.

You will get the most bang for the buck with a 14-16 ft with a 25 ob on it. You may not get in the shallowest spots but you can find those boats cheap. You might buy one and have $3000 left over vs buying a Prodrive ect
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:09 am

I have a 16ft with a new 25hp ob on it and when it’s me and a buddy it runs around 30mph. I've had it in the timber holes of Arkansas and on bigger lakes like Lake Cumberland. With a Avery quickset blind your options are unlimited.

quackstacker2

Postby petrel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 am

Really depends on how you plan to use the boat, most of the time.

Mud motors are great (I'm a ProDrive fan too), but why get one if you don't need it.

Everyone has an opinion and some even have a boat to sell. Tell us more about how you plan to use your boat and we will dazzle you with our wisdom.
petrel
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting