What is the most important factor in killing ducks?

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Re: What is the most important factor in killing ducks?

Postby quacknstack6 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:30 pm

ur right i should practice more, where can i get me one of them $300 foiles calls i really want one. Well bud im done arguing have a great season and be safe see ya on the lake :thumbsup:
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Didn't mean to intimidate you but dang you were commin on strong. They have all their calls on the online store. good luck to you too.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:03 pm

not intimidated buddy just havve more important things to do than argue, life is short and i dont feel like wasting my time.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:13 pm

He's bragging about a jacked up toyota? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against toyotas but come on if you're gonna brag at least have something classic or something truly tough.
I think jamie should read the respect post. In my experience, those that have to brag can't really deliver when asked to.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm

You guys must be real scared of a young guy. Go bust some ducks for yourelfs and quit pickin on a real hunter.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Well, I personally don't have any elves to bust ducks for but I will keep it in mind if someday I find myself with some elves to take care of.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that has honestly made my day. Thank you very much
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:33 pm

if you have never hunted a day where ducks absolutely ignore your calling, you don't get out much...

knowing how and when to call are very important tools when it comes to killing ducks..

that said, there are a few tricks to killing ducks on those few days a year when they seem to go deaf...
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:11 pm

i hunt only in restricted refuges and wmas so i dont need to call. wear your runnings shoes and pack light.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby mmayes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Jamie Duck- man you stirred up the folks around here. I am thinking you might be onto something with the calling and busting some ducks. I am thinking I might learn a few things from you. Besides I could use the calling in the blind to turn them onto the X

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Hey it works for me.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby kydrake » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:37 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
JamieDuck1993 wrote:You guys sure don't puttt much faith in your calling. A real good pro caller told me one time that you have to call with confidance.

bud i have been reading these forums for a while and the consesus is you really dont need to call to kill ducks like said before be on the X and if they want to be there they will come. You can have all of your expensive calls and decoys and i will use about 10 mallard dekes and let my calls sit in the car and watch the birds fly in because that is where they want to be. If you ever hunt public land you will understand exactly why no calling is better than throwing hail calls and everything else you can think of at those ducks. This is the exact reason by birds are call shy because everyone and their brother is calling to them trying to get in. I normally hunt on my own out at Cedar Creek Lake in Stanford and i will not call at all when i go because it is useless if the bird want to be there it will come if it doesnt you can all until you are blue in the face and watch it fly off just like everyone else. Hate to sound like a prick but most of the people will agree its not all about calling.

You ever hunted Bayou Meto?

The last time I was there the most important piece of equipment would have been a TR-21 Triton with a 250 Merc on it. Talk about a boat race!! :yes: :yes:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby kydrake » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:38 pm

hoyboy wrote:i agree with the x factor method. do your scouting and find where the ducks want to be. Ive been in flooded corn fields with the decoy spread looking flawless, motin in the water, everyone well hid in the pit, and some impressive duck calling to top it off and have ducks just look and keep flying and struggling to just end the day with a few ducks on my tote. but on my best hunts ive had only a couple of decoys set out and never using a call and could not beat the ducks off with a stick. I have been walking in the decoy spread and have ducks light beside me.If a duck has a predetermined mindset to be in a certain spot, then it is going to go there! as far as having a well trained retreiver to help you kill ducks ...... :huh: .......its just nice to have one of them so my lazy *** doesnt have to get out of the blind to get the duck and i can eat some eggs and sausage that kydrake has cooked in the blind :biggrin:

Nothin like a good breakfast in the blind!! I love cookin!!! :yes: :yes:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby mox » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Its always nice to see a new guy join and stir things up a month or two before the season... :thumbsup:

In my world the most important factor is being in the field more often. The less a fella hunts, the less chance you give yourself to kill ducks. Basic Kentucky math. Keep scratchin' your heads young pups and rollin' your eyes. You'll get married, produce children, get a career, work overtime, go to 5 Thanksgivings and 5 Christmases one day. And if you think your Juliet is "real cool with you hunting" while you're dating now, just wait til you throw that bling on her and she's sitting at home alone during duck season... you may still hunt, but there will be repercussions. :bow:
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby kydrake » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Yeah you got it rough mox :huh:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby mox » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:52 pm

kydrake wrote:Yeah you got it rough mox :huh:

Hardly have it rough, but I wouldn't have it any other way! I'm just saying enjoy the being able to cut class, spending the night whenever/wherever, and the runnin' and gunnin'. I mean who wouldn't rather be in the blind/pit/field/slough/timber/boat than at work? :huh:
I enjoy the slow down, I'd just rather enjoy it with more hunting involved.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Mox, it is amazing how the rules change when a ring goes on the finger. Hunting wasn't a big deal at all before...now at times it becomes grounds for divorce. And the multiple holidays really gets to be a headache. But hey all in all the tax return makes it all worth while!!! Ha ha
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Jduck must be foilen em. All he keeps in the bed of that jacked up toyota is a decoy bag full of zestas. :clapping: Your secret is out jduck.
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2013 / 2014 Season

KY:
Canadas: 121
Snows: 1
Ducks: 102
WI
Geese: 0
Ducks: 5

Haddix Game Calls Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:34 am

he soaks bread in pure grain alcohol so he doesnt have to shoot em. grabs em, takes the band and lets em go.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Don't forget he calls em first! Calls em from miles away. I heard he once called a duck that was flying over Texas all the way to Kentucky! Hit the call and he sucked right in!
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby big8s » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Id say the most important factor in killing ducks is prolly hitting them ............sorry just figured ya all wanted another smarta$$ answer.
big8s
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:58 am

Being a Pro-Staffer is the single most important factor, everyone else is just SOL
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:39 am

The X factor....if the ducks want to be where you are then they are going to land there. Most of the time if the ducks are coming right to you then you don't need to call unless you do a few quacks and chuckles but I wouldn't even do that until I see wingtips and tail feathers. As for decoys...I am using the same decoys my dad gave me 5 years ago, with no new paint and old as can be and we are still killing ducks. Equipment...I can make my 20 dollar haydels double reed mallard sound just as good as somebody else RNT
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby lablover0929 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Booney3721 wrote:The X factor....if the ducks want to be where you are then they are going to land there. Most of the time if the ducks are coming right to you then you don't need to call unless you do a few quacks and chuckles but I wouldn't even do that until I see wingtips and tail feathers. As for decoys...I am using the same decoys my dad gave me 5 years ago, with no new paint and old as can be and we are still killing ducks. Equipment...I can make my 20 dollar haydels double reed mallard sound just as good as somebody else RNT

Oh boy!! If ain't ole bluewaffles himself!! Even gots him a new screen name as well. Waffles and junior duck must be cut from the same genes. They both truly know more than all of us, can make a kazoo hypotize large flocks of greenheads and definitely have the same problem with repetitive BS flowing from their mouths.

Warning: these guys are straight up killas!!!
TEAM YELLA DAWG
lablover0929
hunter

Postby kydrake » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Dang.... His first post in I dont know when and good ol Lablover welcomes him back just like they left off. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
kydrake
State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting