Found myself in a tough spot...

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Found myself in a tough spot...

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:57 pm

This year my 13 yr. old nephew is coming to hunt with me (from Illinois). It's his first year hunting anything and I had a spot that was looking good. The owner and I had talked about my nephew hunting with me and it was no problem. Tonight I talked to her and she has changed her mind. I am welcome to hunt but she does not want anyone else hunting it, not even my 13 yr old nephew that will be right next to me the entire time. So, here I am 4 days from opening day and without a spot to take him. I am so irritated I can't even see straight.
I am not asking for anyones secret spot and I will spend the rest of the week checking out public spots I can find near me, but I wanted to ask if anyone could maybe point me toward something worth checking out. If ya wanna PM me that would be fine and anything would be appreciated. I am not afraid to do some leg work, but time is growing short to find a spot.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Re: Found myself in a tough spot...

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Guess I should mention I am in Carlisle county right outside of Cunningham.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:57 pm

alot public ground on barlow or go off of bonds rd near pir on the clarks river refuge. they bought alot of new land. plenty deer down in those parts.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby ChevyKYfowler24 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:38 pm

i agree with teamoutlaw. the refuge on bonds road is prime deer hunting. i use to hunt on the back side of the ferrington airport runway when a private landowner use to own the two huge crop fields and woods between the two fields. believe me very very monster bucks have been taken off this section of ground. me included i shot a huge 15 out there when i was in middle school, several years ago. then the guy auctioned it off, another guy bought it, then new owner sold it to refuge. now its infested with the neighbors that live there and act like they own the place. if you do hunt in the ground im talking about get there pplenty early in the morning or if a after noon hunt is planned get there as soon as possible. i've hunted in the woods and both fields. i could explain the farm more in detail to you in person better than on here. i know it like the back of my hand and use to have plenty of stands back there. but make sure you stay on the refuge side of things because the landowner behind this section of farm can be a real butt. he was very helpful to me and my dad and brother in retrieving my brothers first big 8 pt but only because our farm was private then and we had a blood trail leading to his property. good luck this weekend and if on public land be careful!
ChevyKYfowler24
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:09 pm

That was one of the areas I was narrowing it down to. I have plenty of experience on public land so I know the drill. Get there early get away from the road and be prepared for anything. I had actually quit deer hunting because I was tired of hiking back and then having to drag a deer back out. This year I thought I was set (and I actually still am) so I thought hey I will only be fifty yards from my house might as well do it. So I guess I am right back where I started. I know it's going to take some quick work on my part and a whole lot of luck, but since the day my nephew was born I have been looking forward to taking him hunting and it is finally here! So, short of something really bad happening, it will be a good day and one I hope he will never forget!
Thank you guys for the tips, it is very much appreciated.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting