Duck Hunting Forum banner

Doug travis ?'s

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kydrake 
#1 ·
Spent today driving around Doug Travis. Went past the park office, but no one was home and according to the sign on the gate the park office is closed after November 1st. (the placement of the sign on the gate kinda made me chuckle) Then I drove around hoping that I would run across a state worker out on the site, but didn't see one. So maybe some of you guys can answer some questions that I can't find answers to.
If I am not mistaken, they draw for the blind sites each year, right? Is there a stand-by drawing or do you just claim a blind if it is not occupied before a certain time? Do you have to sign in at the office or anything in order to hunt either the blinds or just walking into other areas that are open? Are there anyplaces that you can wade into? Looks like they cleared out a big area just west of some of the blinds, are they expanding?
I can see a lot of potential out there if they will pump enough water, clear enough holes and put out enough crops. From what I saw looks like very few crops on the state land but the surrounding private land had some beans that had been cut. Man, if I owned some of that private land in there I would levy it all off and put a well in.
Chris

#3 ·
some of the park is closed at this point.

All of the blinds are drawn in September, but all are first come first serve after 30 minutes before shooting hours I believe. You need to check on this. You don't have to check in.

I have hunted DT for a couple of years now on private leases. Last year was terrible, except for a few spots. I got in on a new lease this year and it looks promising. They are pumping water in the preserve now. Saw several woodducks and teal down there yesterday and heard a few big ducks but didn't see any.

In my opinion, the WMA is missing out on some opportunities.

#5 ·
I believe there is a flooded corn field down there somewhere thats public and people camp out in the damn thing to hold spots. has its good days and bad days. im not sure if it was on doug travis but i know it was in carlisle. u might check out winford pond too not many hunt it but its hit or miss bad. i believe u can occupy a blind if they are not there 30 mins prior to shooting time, i will look it up and post back.

#6 ·
DOUG TRAVIS WMA
Carlisle & Hickman counties:
• Open to statewide regulations for
hunting EXCEPT portions of the
WMA as identified by signs which are
closed from Nov. 1 to March 15.
• Blinds must be at least 200 yards apart.
• No more than 4 persons shall occupy a
single blind at any time.
• Waterfowl hunting will cease and
hunters must be off the area by 2 p.m.
local time each day. Hunters may not
enter the area until 4 a.m.
• On Forked Lake, Indian Camp Lake,
Fish Lake, Number Four Lake, Black
Lake and Upper Goose Pond Field,
all waterfowl hunting after Nov. 1 will
be from Kentucky Fish & Wildlifedesignated
sites assigned by preseason
drawing; even during periods of
Mississippi River flooding:
- Hunters who want permanent hunt
sites must register and be selected
by random drawing in September or
October;
- Individual must be 18 years of
age and possess a valid Kentucky
Hunting License, Kentucky
Waterfowl Permit and Federal
Migratory Bird (Duck) Stamp when
applying for designated hunt sites;
- Blinds must remain within 10
yards of the designated numbered
location;
- Permanent blinds, if constructed,
must be in place by Nov. 20 and
removed within 30 days of the close
of the season. Persons who fail to
remove their blind will forfeit the
opportunity to obtain a blind site
the following year;
- Persons drawn for a designated site
(blind owners) may name one other
person as a co-owner who may also
claim the site each day;
- Blind owners and co-owners may
not have more than one designated
permanent blind site on the area;
- All selected sites must be marked
with the blind owner's name and
permit number;
- Sites not claimed by blind owners
by one hour before sunrise may be
claimed by other hunters on a firstcome,
first-served basis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.