Ohio River Hunting

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Ohio River Hunting

Postby KyFowl20 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:37 pm

OK guys, everyone here knows I hate internet scouters, but for once I'm gonna ask a favor. I've been wanting to hunt the Ohio for quite a while but nor me or my hunting partners have a rig that I feel comfortable getting on in it. I'm not looking for spots or anything like that I just want to try river hunting. I have everything except the right boat, so I can do all the work . Hell I'll even cook you breakfast. Pm me or whatever you feel most comfortable doing. I'm like a locked safe so the hunt wont leave your boat.
Thanks,
Breeze.
BTW, I'm willing to put someone on a good goose hunt if you can make this happen.
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2013 / 2014 Season

KY:
Canadas: 121
Snows: 1
Ducks: 102
WI
Geese: 0
Ducks: 5

Haddix Game Calls Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Re: Ohio River Hunting

Postby wratliffky » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:48 pm

When do you want to go? We can throw the boat blind on and do it whenever. Only done it a couple of times but its worth another try. We just got back from scouting some back water up there.
wratliffky
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:43 pm

I would like to do it preferably when we get a good cold push. My schedule is pretty much open anytime, i just need to give a heads up about a week in advance and I can go whenever. Arent you in Etown?
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2013 / 2014 Season

KY:
WI

KyFowl20
hunter

Postby mike_b » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:45 pm

What do you consider the right boat? Mine will hunt 2 on the river easily, 3 with care and 4 on small water only.

I've been scouting up there recently. Saw some mallards, woodies and a bunch of geese. Most of them around the power plants... But no huge groups.
mike_b
hunter

Postby wratliffky » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:35 am

Yep. Im in Etown.
wratliffky
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:14 am

I'm in NKY, I've got a 16' with an 18hp motor... Think I'd be alright with 2 guys and the dog, just makes me nervous though, heard a lot of horror stories
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Well, put it this way. I have a 14' v-hull and I usually haul about 10 dozen floaters, gear, a dog and 3 men including myself. I know that is an unusually large load for that size boat and I know I may get pounded on here about it but its a very stable boat, Ive never had any problems with the load I just described, but Im also on flat water. Tberna-Shoot me a pm with your number and Ill give you a shout later in the week. Wratliff- Ill get ahold of you through Blake.
Thanks for all the responses guys.
-Breeze
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2013 / 2014 Season

KY:
WI

KyFowl20
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:17 pm

John, one of your good friends has a boat to handle a river......Why didnt you think of me? I'll put the blind on and we'll go.... I wont hunt the Ohio in rough weather though. We'll scout an area and hit it soon. Hope all goes well with the marriage today!!!!! :thumbsup:
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby dablaw » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:19 pm

I know alot of you younger guys are ambitious, and I applaud you for that...But you had better listen to some of older guys on here..Not pounding you at all for the size of your boat or anything like that..I took a few chances when I was younger too...I also have seen 25-30 duck hunters,some friends, pull dead from the lakes and rivers...The only main reason was they were overloaded and not prepared, and took too many chances in bad weather/ice conditions...With all the rain we are getting, and the currents the way they are, you need to reconsider taking chances in a smaller boat, and overloading it...I would hate to hear of another person dying a horrible death because they didn't listen...I had rather you be pissed off and alive...
An 18-20 foot boat is about as small as I wanna be on any of the big lakes or rivers with...Needs to be long enough to span the waves on rough days, and wide enough to be stable...Everything in your boat needs to be in tip top shape..Double and triple redundancy is almost a must...A tool kit,extra gas lines,electrical wire,batteries,lights,good working trolling motor..etc...good flare gun too..cell phone with a charged battery and let someone know exactly where you will be...
Boat paddles, seat cushions,and of course everyone has on a life vest...
Never take chances,watch the weather forecast and winds...With alot of debris floating just under the water, there are many times I would wait until good light to leave the ramp..
My point is, you cannot be too careful...Keep yer powder dry....David.
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby kydrake » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:19 pm

dablaw wrote: An 18-20 foot boat is about as small as I wanna be on any of the big lakes or rivers with...Needs to be long enough to span the waves on rough days, and wide enough to be stable.

My 16 footer spans the waves. Sometimes it only touches every other one! :yes: :yes: :yes:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby mike_b » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:53 pm

I think it is less about size and more about stability. There are a lot of different craft out there and my mod-v seems to handle the current well. But in some regards, I think some bigger boats may be less stable on the river. They draft more and have a bigger surface area. Compared to some crap that comes floating down, a 12-20' boat is small, either way.

My 1648 seems stable even in high current. I carry extra gas and I should do more to carry tools. But honestly, if I break down in January on the river, there's almost no chance I'm going to try to fix it on the water. I sure hope I never need spare electrical wire while out hunting...
mike_b
hunter

Postby Andy W » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:45 am

It's a good idea to keep your cell phone in a ziplock bag.
Andy W
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:31 am

Here's a random question... What size decoy weights do you river hunter guys use??
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:06 am

:lol: A pound!!! lol
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:09 am

dablaw wrote:I know alot of you younger guys are ambitious, and I applaud you for that...But you had better listen to some of older guys on here..Not pounding you at all for the size of your boat or anything like that..I took a few chances when I was younger too...I also have seen 25-30 duck hunters,some friends, pull dead from the lakes and rivers...The only main reason was they were overloaded and not prepared, and took too many chances in bad weather/ice conditions...With all the rain we are getting, and the currents the way they are, you need to reconsider taking chances in a smaller boat, and overloading it...I would hate to hear of another person dying a horrible death because they didn't listen...I had rather you be pissed off and alive...
An 18-20 foot boat is about as small as I wanna be on any of the big lakes or rivers with...Needs to be long enough to span the waves on rough days, and wide enough to be stable...Everything in your boat needs to be in tip top shape..Double and triple redundancy is almost a must...A tool kit,extra gas lines,electrical wire,batteries,lights,good working trolling motor..etc...good flare gun too..cell phone with a charged battery and let someone know exactly where you will be...
Boat paddles, seat cushions,and of course everyone has on a life vest...
Never take chances,watch the weather forecast and winds...With alot of debris floating just under the water, there are many times I would wait until good light to leave the ramp..
My point is, you cannot be too careful...Keep yer powder dry....David.

Dablaw is giving good advise if people will hear it and apply it to your hunting situation. You can never be too careful. :thumbsup:

quackstacker2

Postby mike_b » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:58 am

Andy W wrote:It's a good idea to keep your cell phone in a ziplock bag.

So true. I keep my phone and hunting license in a ziplock bag. Capacitive touch phones still work while in the bag.
mike_b
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 pm

mike_b wrote:
Andy W wrote:It's a good idea to keep your cell phone in a ziplock bag.

So true. I keep my phone and hunting license in a ziplock bag. Capacitive touch phones still work while in the bag.

Thats nice to know.

quackstacker2

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting