New Gun

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

New Gun

Postby GreenHead5 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:46 pm

I am fully aware that there is a shotgun forum on this site but Im somewhat of what I guess you would call a Kentucky supremacist :smile: . I was wanting to get yalls thoughts on the guns that I have narrowed down my list to. Im working on 1000 dollar budget, of course if this was a 1500 dollar budget this wouldnt be a conversation because I would be getting a SBEII and calling it a good christmas. That is what I usually use but it is not my personal gun.
The guns I have narrowed it down to in order of interest are:
Winchester SX3 (I have not heard about any of these guns since they have moved the factory outside of America)
Browning BPS
Super Nova
Remington 870

I would rather have a auto loader.

Would like to hear your thoughts on these guns and also your recommendations of guns not listed for me to look into especially auto loaders. Hope you had a great first four days!!!! My duck count for the year is 4 so far with 2 hunts. Drake and Hens of both below.

Woodie.jpg

RedHead.jpg
GreenHead5
hunter

Re: New Gun

Postby FOWLER2671 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:39 am

Saving a few hundred more wouldnt' be a bad option but most of those guns are closer to $500.

It's made in Turkey but you might take a look at the Weatherby 12 guage SA-08. Mossberg and a few other companies also import it under similiar names. I personally want one in 20 guage. Walmart sells them for about $500,
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby Andy W » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:36 am

My BPS's have been flawless.
Andy W
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:19 pm

I'd save a few more pennies and get a SBE II if I were you. :thumbsup:
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Naterdashotgunner » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:37 pm

Benelli M2?
Naterdashotgunner
hunter

Postby dablaw » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:22 pm

for 1000 dollars I can buy 4 excellent condition used 870 3inch magnums with synthetic stocks...I mean the basic idea is to have a foolproof gun to handle any condition and go boom and make ducks fall correct? Bad ass woody drake btw..Hope he is going on the wall...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby kysupernova » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:56 pm

Dont know where you are located at but check here someone in Lawrenceburgs got a500 for $450
http://www.kyclassifieds.com/cat10.htm
kysupernova
hunter

Postby kydrake » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:12 pm

You can get a SBE ll American for around a G. Same gun but only comes with 3 chokes and doesnt have a comfortech stock. Ive had both and I prefer the american. I have 2. :thumbsup:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:15 pm

kydrake wrote:You can get a SBE ll American for around a G. Same gun but only comes with 3 chokes and doesnt have a comfortech stock. Ive had both and I prefer the american. I have 2. :thumbsup:

Ditto. I have a regular SBEII with comfortech but wouldn't hesitate to buy an SBEII American.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lablover0929 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:02 pm

The browings and winchester x3 are made in the same building. I have the winchester X2, had for 2 seasons, shoot trap weekly with it, and turkey hunt with it. You can't go wrong with the X series from winchester.

The browing maxxus is a super delightful gun to shoot. Not heard any negative feedback on these guns. Camo doesn't killem any better than black, so you can save a few bucks there. If you have cash in hand, and watching some of the local shops, I picked up a second X2 this fall for under 600.00 used. So, there is my $.02 worth.
TEAM YELLA DAWG
lablover0929
hunter

Postby GreenHead5 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:02 pm

How do you feel about the super nova????
GreenHead5
hunter

Postby teamroughneck » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:23 pm

887 3 1/2 inch and very lil recoil and almost indestructible(key word almost)i have had two brand new ones sent to me as replacements cuz i am way to rough on a gun lol. but as long as under warranty they will replace or fix wit very little hassle
Nothing makes a day of hunting better then having a kid with you..
teamroughneck
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 pm

lablover0929 wrote:The browings and winchester x3 are made in the same building. I have the winchester X2, had for 2 seasons, shoot trap weekly with it, and turkey hunt with it. You can't go wrong with the X series from winchester.

The browing maxxus is a super delightful gun to shoot. Not heard any negative feedback on these guns. Camo doesn't killem any better than black, so you can save a few bucks there. If you have cash in hand, and watching some of the local shops, I picked up a second X2 this fall for under 600.00 used. So, there is my $.02 worth.

Ditto, I am shooting a X2 3.5 inch magnum as well and I love it. My 870 express magnum was a great gun but that last season was horrible. After every shot it was constantly freezing up on me. Of course that was a very old gun but none the less I agree with Lab on this one, You can't go wrong with the X series by Winchester.
On another note have you looked at any Berettas? or even Stoger?
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:25 pm

I switched over to a SBE II American from a Nova.....Save your pennies My Young Buffalo. :thumbsup:
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby mmayes » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:36 pm

Check the classifieds here and other sites, you might luck up on an SBEII or like gun for 1000.00 or less.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby quackwhacknstack » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:06 pm

I ahve been shooting the SX3 for the last 2 years and absolutely LOVE it. I is easily the best shooting gun I have shot. I have shot the SBE II and I would rather shoot my SX3 10 times more than the SBE II. Winchester is the way to go in my opinion.
quackwhacknstack
hunter

Postby KentuckyGoose » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:06 am

I shoot an SX3 and love it. For me, its an all purpose gun. I use it for ducks and geese, in the spring I screw in the Indian Creek and throw down on some ol longbeards, and even took some rabbits with it too! I don't regret making that purchase at all.
I'm thankful for the things I have and all the things I don't, I've got dreams that will come true and I've got some that won't...

GOOSE
KentuckyGoose
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:28 am

Buy the SX3. I have the SX2, and the internal components are the exact same and it has been absolutely 100% flawless. Ive had it from the marshes of Kansas to frigid cold creek hunts here and it just flat keeps on shooting. Never even a sign of a jam. I think you will be very satisfied. I saw that ***** had one with the walnut stock for around 9, might want to check into that.
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby P1agu3 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:32 pm

saw a basically brand new xtrema2 max4 for $1050 on vci.. If i wasn't left handed I would have bought it 2 days ago... Hope someone from here snatches it up..
P1agu3
hunter

Postby DuckSuperNova » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:08 am

I'm shooting a Super Nova. Before that I was using my dads Remington 870 Wingmaster. I recommend the Super Nova. It's definitely within your budget and is a great all around gun for turkey, waterfowl, whatever.
DuckSuperNova
hunter

Postby captrong » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:16 pm

I been shooting the SX3 for the last 3 seasons, as well as the last 3 dove seasons. Not once has the gun jammed or misfired even on light loads. I wouldnt trade mine for 2 Benelli's. My buddy has a Stoeger auto and hasn't had anything but problems out of it. You can find black synthetic SX3's alot of times for less than 1k. Just for the info my gun says it was made in Belguim not Turkey.
captrong
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting