Quality Waterproof Clothing?

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Quality Waterproof Clothing?

Postby mox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:36 pm

I want to know what y'all wear on rain days in the outerwear department. Brand, style, etc. Post pictures if you have any.

I bought an EST Drake "waterproof" shell before season and have worn it twice and ended up wet bot times. The main problem being around the cuffs where water leaks inside the arms. I can't tighten the cuffs enough to prevent water coming in and I am not a glove wearer unless its real cold. The second problem being my big head not being completely covered by the hood. I have a BPS fishing rainsuit jacket that has both waterproof cuffs and a helluva hood on it... I just need to convince BPS to make it in a camo pattern I reckon...

Share some good and bad waterproof clothing experiences if you have any. :thumbsup:
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Re: Quality Waterproof Clothing?

Postby sthwht24 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 pm

I've got a Frog Toggs jacket that's always kept me dry. I got it at ****'s for around $30, maybe even less than that. Just bundle up underneath if its cold out.
sthwht24
hunter

Postby ChevyKYfowler24 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:38 pm

sthwht24 wrote:I've got a Frog Toggs jacket that's always kept me dry. I got it at ****'s for around $30, maybe even less than that. Just bundle up underneath if its cold out.

thats what a few of the guys i hunt with wear and i hunted with them both in the pooring down rain two sundays ago and they was bone dry. it convienced me lol
ChevyKYfowler24
hunter

Postby dablaw » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:15 am

Cabela's best neoprene waders(Big man) and then Cabela's Dry Fowl dry plus 4 in 1 wading jacket..Max4 camo and I do NOT get wet..From rain or snow anyways...This is a bulletproof combo for cold or bad weather..
Here are links to both...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:28 am

I havent found a single drake waterproof product.... even the waders lol. I like drake but alot of it doesnt hold up.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby mmayes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:13 am

I have been fortunate with all the drake clothing I have and keeping me dry. Eeven my waders.

If you want guarenteed dry get a PVC camo rain coat by sterns (cheap) at wallyworld or go the route of waxed cotton (expensive). The only down side to waxed cotten is it gets stiff the colder it gets.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:19 am

I love my Drake 4-1 wader jacket...Keeps me dry. Never had a problem plus its super warm. All I wear on a real cold day is it, long sleeve underarmor shirt, and a long sleeve shirt and I’m good to go. FYI...I hate hunting in the rain more than anything I can think of. :thumbsup:
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Quackrstackr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:35 am

I have both Columbia and the Bass Pro BoneDry coats. Both of them keep me dry but it's hard to find a jacket that doesn't allow for some wicking at the cuff. The BoneDry one does have neoprene cuffs that seem to help.

The good thing about Columbia stuff is that it has a lifetime warranty. Rip a sleeve off, and they'll send you a brand new one. :thumbsup:
Quackrstackr
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:01 am

Quackrstackr wrote:I have both Columbia and the Bass Pro BoneDry coats. Both of them keep me dry but it's hard to find a jacket that doesn't allow for some wicking at the cuff. The BoneDry one does have neoprene cuffs that seem to help.

The good thing about Columbia stuff is that it has a lifetime warranty. Rip a sleeve off, and they'll send you a brand new one. :thumbsup:

Good customer service...will remember that next time.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby mox » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:22 pm

teamoutlaw wrote:I havent found a single drake waterproof product....

I'm not convinced they make anything waterproof! Now don't get me wrong their stuff isn't junk, its very warm.
I can't go the frogg togg or pvc route. I'll go through 1 suit every hunt. We have a pretty long walk to the pit and I'm not wearing waders unless i'm in water over knee boots. I'm looking for something with a good hood and not wader length, but longer. Leaning towards columbia but thinking about the browning stuff along with a couple others... :huh:
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Redhead parka and bibs 2 seasons both leak. Drake LST parka 2nd season no leaks so far and much warmer.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby clayrhye » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:14 pm

So far my Drake LST 4in1 wader coat and bibs are bone dry except for the very edge of sleeves and I have hunted in multiple all day down pours. Maybe Im just a lucky one but I am well pleased.. :grooving:

That said, Columbia makes as good of a product as anyone. It tends to be pricey, but for the customer service I have received, I'll pay extra.
clayrhye
hunter

Postby Skilletshootin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:30 am

Columbia is the way to go
We ain't in the duck huntin business
We's in the duck killin business.....
And brother business is a boomin!!!
Skilletshootin
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:53 pm

i have all of the older drake stuff so i think the material is different then the newer gear.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby dablaw » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Me and one of my sons hunted Sunday morning in a t-shirt and sweats with our waders and parka I mentioned above..was hotter than hell in them...We also was out in the Christmas week snow last year everyday and through very cold and wet/snowy conditions, we were able to stay all day any day we wanted to because of these two items...We were frozen hard as a rock on the outside of the clothes and waders but toasty warm inside where it counts...Wished we had clothes like this back in the 70's and 80's...lol..You guys would laugh your butt off if you saw how we hunted back then..Killed alot of ducks though...Just nothing fancy for gear...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:47 pm

I've had good luck with drake stuff keepin me dry. even my waders.

of course you could always go to walmart and get a pvc raincoat or go the more expensive route and get some waxed cotton canvas.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby rank duck » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:50 am

Cabela's Brush Buster Gore-Tex 4-in-1 wading jacket. Worn it twice in the rain and kept me 100% dry. First time was warmer and wore it without the zip-in liner. Second time was colder and the liner helped keep me toasty. An important factor for me is the hood. I've had too many jackets where the hood flops down over my face and makes it hard to see anything but the ground. I don't have to fight the waterproof hood on this jacket.

Cabela's dry-plus breathable chest waders. 100% dry at least in water up to my crotch. Haven't worn anything other than jeans under them so far this year and stayed plenty warm.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting