Even a blind squirrel gets a nut...

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut...

Postby dablaw » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Went out today and although we should have killed 5 or 6 today, we only ended up with this one Buffy drake...Oh well huh...Though I'd show a comparison to a GHG Oversized Buffy deke to show how big the pig really is...And a few good reference pics too...
Attachments
HPIM0956_Small.JPG
HPIM0950_Small.JPG
HPIM0949_Small.JPG
HPIM0947_Small.JPG
HPIM0946_Small.JPG
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Re: Even a blind squirrel gets a nut...

Postby captrong » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Nice!! Congrats. :thumbsup: It is a fat little rascal.
captrong
hunter

Postby dablaw » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:13 pm

It's one of the old style bands...So just wondering how old he really is?? I'm going to the usgs site and we shall see...I didn't even know they banded buffies to be honest..I guess at some point in time all different kinds have been banded...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Nice post... Love the band! Wow that Buffy is the size of that deke! Cool!!!
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby mox » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Update us on the band when you find something out :thumbsup:
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby ccdrake88 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:40 pm

congrats on the bufflehead id say the banded ones are pretty rare!
"cut em!"
Days hunted- 5
Kentucky geese-83 Bands:1
Kentucky ducks-50
Kentucky snows-1
ccdrake88
hunter

Postby wratliffky » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:30 am

That is a stud of a bufflehead!
wratliffky
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:21 am

that makes the whole hunt. thats a nice sized one, i dont think ive shot one that big.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:43 am

I didnt know they even made them that big!!! :yes:
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby FOWLER2671 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Bands are rare enough but I dont' ever remember seeing a banded diver in person. It might be an octagenarian!
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby dablaw » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:23 am

Band Number: XXXX-XXXXX
Species: BUFFLEHEAD
Date banded: 07/24/1986
Banding Location: STONE MILLS, JEFFERSON COUNTY, NEW YORK, USA
Sex: MALE TYTF

Now I entered this in 3 times and got the same thing..I'm almost ready to throw the BS flag on this one myself...I'm calling and talking to a person in the morning..Well it's morning now but in a few hours...That would put this bird at 25 years and nearly 5 months...That just doesn't seem possible to me..And look where it was banded...New York??? Now how the hell did it get to west KY...???? And after 25+ years wouldn't the band be all but destroyed??
dablaw
hunter

Postby mox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:34 am

dablaw wrote:Band Number: XXXX-XXXXX
Species: BUFFLEHEAD
Date banded: 07/24/1986
Banding Location: STONE MILLS, JEFFERSON COUNTY, NEW YORK, USA
Sex: MALE TYTF

Now I entered this in 3 times and got the same thing..I'm almost ready to throw the BS flag on this one myself...I'm calling and talking to a person in the morning..Well it's morning now but in a few hours...That would put this bird at 25 years and nearly 5 months...That just doesn't seem possible to me..And look where it was banded...New York??? Now how the hell did it get to west KY...???? And after 25+ years wouldn't the band be all but destroyed??

Wouldn't say its impossible...
"The oldest known waterfowl banded in North America was a Canada goose that lived to be 30 years and 4 months old. The oldest mallard lived to 26 years, 4 months.

Taken from: http://www.flyways.us/surveys-and-monitoring/banding-and-marking-programs/banding-factoids

Your band my quite possibly be on some kinda old duck list somewhere my friend! :thumbsup:
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:37 am

we shot a banded blue goose at ten mile pond that looked like a brand new band but later found out it was banded 13 yrs prior.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby mmayes » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:52 am

It's possible that it is that old, But that band does not show any wear on it and it looks to be a newer band. It could be a re-capture and the old band was so worn they purt a new one on it???

Either way cool trophy.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:54 am

I would mount that hog.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby KYDUCKKILLA » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:55 pm

That is a beautiful duck. Awesome pics!
KYDUCKKILLA
hunter

Postby gupsy2083 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:53 am

saw a bluebill somewhere on the taxi forum had 3 bands, 2 leg bands and 1 nasal, 20 something years old, its very possible, but i would be calling shane for a mount for sure, or birdman...
The best thing in life besides a good wife is, when the sun is coming up, and the feet are down...
gupsy2083
hunter

Postby dablaw » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Got this micro buffy this morning on a quick Christmas eve hunt with one of my sons...He actually shot it...It weighed in at 8.2 ounces...What a piglet huh...I think the banded one I shot here while back above in the pics could eat this one..I have killed hundreds of buffy's and this is the tinyest to date...Well, like I said, my son killed it, not me...It's hard to tell how small it is but it just fit in my wifes tiny hand...I'm going to mount it up with the banded Pig I killed to show the difference in sizes with these things...Already got him skinned and wire wheeled and put in the freezer till after Christmas...Son also killed a pig of a Bluebill today as well..Was just a quick hour or so hunt for the heck of it...Merry Christmas..David.
Attachments
HPIM0975_Small.JPG
dablaw
hunter

Postby dablaw » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Oh and btw the banded Buffy turns out that they couldn't give me a previous band ID but they almost think it has to be a re-band..The woman I talked to guessed the field banding staff may have just not re-recorded it to it's corresponding band, so when I looked it up it showed it like this was the original band..No way to prove it either way without records..She told me she wasn't even born yet when all this happened..lol...Either way, it's still ancient...
dablaw
hunter

Postby ChevyKYfowler24 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:45 pm

very nice :thumbsup: that mount of the two birds together comparing sizes will be neat. you will def have to post pictures when the two are complete
ChevyKYfowler24
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting