9 years and Counting

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

9 years and Counting

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:00 am

This past Monday I was hunting a local lake where you typically don’t see canvasbacks. Well the morning was slow going and my two hunting buddies ever getting hungry so I decided to cook breakfast. As I prepared the meal, one of the guys said hey there’s a duck in the decoys. I thought he was referring to a coot instead of a DUCK. So I didn’t think much about it until he said I'm not playing there’s a duck in your spread. So I stood up and low and behold....A big mature Canvasback.....I asked for my gun....By now the “Can” is a good 70 yards on the water. I aimed and shot...3 times. Sprayed the ole boy good but didn’t pack enough punch to kill him!!! Been waiting to kill one for 9 years!!! Hunting really can kick you in the balls at times.....But its that chance and hungry that keeps you coming back and the hope of landing a limit or a favorite bird!!!!
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Re: 9 years and Counting

Postby Riverrunner342 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:28 am

Where are those turkey loads when you need them.
Riverrunner342
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:41 pm

quackstacker2 wrote:This past Monday I was hunting a local lake where you typically don’t see canvasbacks. Well the morning was slow going and my two hunting buddies ever getting hungry so I decided to cook breakfast. As I prepared the meal, one of the guys said hey there’s a duck in the decoys. I thought he was referring to a coot instead of a DUCK. So I didn’t think much about it until he said I'm not playing there’s a duck in your spread. So I stood up and low and behold....A big mature Canvasback.....I asked for my gun....By now the “Can” is a good 70 yards on the water. I aimed and shot...3 times. Sprayed the ole boy good but didn’t pack enough punch to kill him!!! Been waiting to kill one for 9 years!!! Hunting really can kick you in the balls at times.....But its that chance and hungry that keeps you coming back and the hope of landing a limit or a favorite bird!!!!

So you essentially skyblasted the bird except he was sitting on the water. You sprayed him good? I wouldn't shoot at a duck that far and risk wounding him, but maybe my ethics are different than yours. I definitely wouldn't get on here and tell everybody about it either. :no:
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:00 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:
quackstacker2 wrote:This past Monday I was hunting a local lake where you typically don’t see canvasbacks. Well the morning was slow going and my two hunting buddies ever getting hungry so I decided to cook breakfast. As I prepared the meal, one of the guys said hey there’s a duck in the decoys. I thought he was referring to a coot instead of a DUCK. So I didn’t think much about it until he said I'm not playing there’s a duck in your spread. So I stood up and low and behold....A big mature Canvasback.....I asked for my gun....By now the “Can” is a good 70 yards on the water. I aimed and shot...3 times. Sprayed the ole boy good but didn’t pack enough punch to kill him!!! Been waiting to kill one for 9 years!!! Hunting really can kick you in the balls at times.....But its that chance and hungry that keeps you coming back and the hope of landing a limit or a favorite bird!!!!

So you essentially skyblasted the bird except he was sitting on the water. You sprayed him good? I wouldn't shoot at a duck that far and risk wounding him, but maybe my ethics are different than yours. I definitely wouldn't get on here and tell everybody about it either. :no:

Look bud...opinions are like butt holes...everyone has one!!! I could careless what you think I should or shouldn’t of done. I was sharing a short story. I know several guys on here that would of done the same thing I did. Sorry Mr. President, but I bet you've done a little sky busting and water swatting in your time too and will still probably do!!!! So don’t try to feed these dudes on here how much of a conservationist you are and all the ethics you possess when you'd done the same thing!!!!
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2

Postby mmayes » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:14 pm

I can tell you I wouldn't have tried to water swat a diver at that range. Had you of crippled him you wouldn't have gotten him. I have had ample experiance with crippled divers. I hate losing crips as it is a waste of the resource.

I have to agree it wasn't the most ethical shot to take and most long time hunters won't take such a shot and besides who wants to say they waterswatted their first Bull Can??? Not saying I haven't waterswatted ducks or taken the occasionial long shot because I have. That still doesn't make it right.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:02 pm

What kind of ducks are these? my cousin said they were canvas backs but I think he is pulling my leg. We was at brackley the other day and the bay was full of them.

JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:07 pm

I would not have taken a 70 yard shot at a duck, much less a nice canvasback. Don't expect to post a story like that on a water fowling forum and not expect to get a reply like mine. If you don't believe me, post this story in the puddle duck forum or honey hole and see what everybody says. I'm sure my reply would seem tame compared to most.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:34 pm

JamieDuck1993 wrote:What kind of ducks are these? my cousin said they were canvas backs but I think he is pulling my leg. We was at brackley the other day and the bay was full of them.

Nice!!!!

quackstacker2

Postby rank duck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:31 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:I would not have taken a 70 yard shot at a duck, much less a nice canvasback. Don't expect to post a story like that on a water fowling forum and not expect to get a reply like mine. If you don't believe me, post this story in the puddle duck forum or honey hole and see what everybody says. I'm sure my reply would seem tame compared to most.

What he said.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby big_country » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:27 pm

So im still trying to figure out why didn't your buddy jump it up and shoot it from the decoys?
Dam Ducks
big_country
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:17 pm

For One of my buddies, this was his first time hunting.... The second buddy, this is his first season!!! All my other hunting buddies are getting married or just about too... So I have to go with these two guys the most!! Johnny and Nat seem to always be hunting when I'm working and vice versa.... So basically they had no idea what type of duck it was!!

quackstacker2

Postby Morgan87 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:55 am

I would have shot at it!!! It only takes one bb in the right spot haha
Morgan87
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 am

Morgan87 wrote:I would have shot at it!!! It only takes one bb in the right spot haha

What he said!!! :yes:

quackstacker2

Postby rank duck » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:37 am

Sounds like you two should go hunting together.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby mmayes » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:50 am

rank duck wrote:Sounds like you two should go hunting together.

What He said :bow:

Iam glad the deuce cleared up why his buddies didn't shoot. I thought maybe they were sharing a a gun. :yes:

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby Skilletshootin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:04 am

Normally I wouldn't shoot that far... But if I'd been looking for a chance to get a certain duck for 9 years... Bet your sweet asp I would!.... My opinion
We ain't in the duck huntin business
We's in the duck killin business.....
And brother business is a boomin!!!
Skilletshootin
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:52 am

If I had been after a duck for 9 years, I wouldn't want to shoot it on the water at 70 yards. Half of the fun of getting a first duck is the story behind it.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Skilletshootin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:02 am

Taste the same either way.. Good story or not
Skilletshootin
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:34 am

I don't think he was shooting 70 yards for the meat.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Skilletshootin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:01 am

Why else would you shoot an animal? Unless it was attacking lol
Skilletshootin
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:47 am

For the wall. Agree to disagree about the distance I guess, but I wouldn't want to hunt with somebody who is taking 70 yard potshots at ducks.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:10 pm

Hey Image ....I wasn't inviting you to tag along on a hunt!!!! And second, I never shoot at ducks over 35 yards....But when I've been waiting for years to bag a big Can. I'm pretty sure 70 yards was the last thing that entered my mind.

quackstacker2

Postby duckbuster06 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:03 pm

So by never you really mean sometimes? I'm clearly no Einstein, probably not even smart enough to take part in this thread. Therefore, I digress.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rank duck » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:50 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:So by never you really mean sometimes? I'm clearly no Einstein, probably not even smart enough to take part in this thread. Therefore, I digress.

but you're probably smart enough not to shoot at a duck 70 yards out..
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:27 pm

besides the moral code some and some don't go by why are we arguing about this? He didn't cripple the duck, i do believe at some point in time we have all done something others didn't see was right. So why argue about it, its not solving anything at all.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Next

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting