How much wind is too much for hunting?

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

How much wind is too much for hunting?

Postby rank duck » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Been windy as heck around here and they're calling for 24 mph winds tomorrow when I was planning to hunt.

How well do you usually do in windy conditions? (not just breezy, but full blown windy days)

How windy does it have to be for you to say "screw it" and not go?
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Re: How much wind is too much for hunting?

Postby Skilletshootin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Have to be pretty dang windy... Unless I'm on a boat on big water
We ain't in the duck huntin business
We's in the duck killin business.....
And brother business is a boomin!!!
Skilletshootin
hunter

Postby stratos284 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:38 pm

I was wondering the same thing. The wind has been 20 to 30+ for a few days now.
stratos284
hunter

Postby rcskywalker » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:45 pm

Big wind is good so long as it doesn't create a safety problem boating on big water. The decoys have more action, the birds are often tired and looking for a hole to drop in to. Often in big wind the ducks do little or no circling. They just bomb in.

Calling is not as effective in really big wind as the sound gets muffled and blown downwind as well. Now is the time to break out the ultra loud, single reed, open water calls.

Final thought to remember is while 20-30mph winds are certainly considered high for our neck of the woods, these ducks have come from the plains of Canada and the huge rice fields of Missouri and Arkansas where 40-50mph winds are not at all uncommon not to mention the winds aloft are always significantly higher than at the surface.
rcskywalker
hunter

Postby dablaw » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:11 pm

35 mph northwest wind is probably going to be too much to be on Ky or Barkley lakes tommorrow...I have one place that I can get to without getting on the main lake that is perfect for this scenario...If I can't swing that, I'll be loading to boat back up and going home...I'd rather see my wife and boys again than to make a risky judgement over a 3 pound ball of feathers..Better listen to me on this subject...If any of you do risk it, please wear a bright orange life vest so when we find your bodies they will be easy to spot...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby rank duck » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:13 am

Some good points raised here. As for the ducks being tired and looking for a hole to drop into, that assumes the ducks are actually migrating. Hoping some colder/freezing weather to the north is going to start pushing a few down. Also, wind on the lake is a whole 'nother thing. I won't be in a boat.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby 13space82 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:13 pm

where I hunt it would probably have to be about 30+ S winds for me not to hunt. Every other wind is manageable. Scary...but Manageable.
TNAL45 wrote: Well done sir. I vote this best bitch slap in DHC history.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=174844

go get the bird wrote:Every time you post, Jesus lets a pitbull live.
13space82
hunter

Postby dixieduckslayer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:17 pm

was very windy on ky lake the past 2 days, but the divers treated us good...just be careful
Dixie Duck Slayers....Kentucky's Elite Duck Hunting Team
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Postby dablaw » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Was ok till 10:00 when it went northwest...We just picked up and left when it did that...Waves were in the 4-5 foot range but out in the channel there were some 10ft+ ones....We limited out on Bluebills(4),Cans(2), and the rest were 4 goldeneye drakes and two buffy drakes...Oh and 30 coots...Was just me and one son today..All in all a decent hunt...Oh we used 4 decoys total...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby kytriton » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:53 pm

10 foot waves? Are there still a lot of divers eating grain at the grain terminal?
kytriton
Newb

Postby dablaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:07 am

I have no idea...we hunted a point just north of blood river on the main lake
dablaw
hunter

Postby duckslaya_187 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:05 am

10 foot waves....LOL.
if you aint blastin you aint lastin
duckslaya_187
hunter

Postby Skilletshootin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 am

Well one been on the water when the waves seemed like they were 10 ft... But no lol
We ain't in the duck huntin business
We's in the duck killin business.....
And brother business is a boomin!!!
Skilletshootin
hunter

Postby rank duck » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:10 am

maybe he meant 10 ft between them..
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby Quackrstackr » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:22 am

45 mph n or s winds will put 10 footers on KY Lake in certain areas. I've been in them around the 68/80 brige in a 20 ft boat when you couldn't see over the crests.
Quackrstackr
hunter

Postby dablaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:25 pm

If the conditions get right on the lake, Ill show you where to take your boat to experience 10'+ waves...Make sure your will is up to date, and that you go alone...I'll call the the dive team here and tell them when to start looking for your body...Please wear bright orange life vests like I said above as it will make there job alot easier to find you body...I was just going to ignore the comments because I understand the people I'm dealing with on here...So I'll leave it at that...I too was young, and bulletproof...or so I thought...You'll look back on this conversation one day, if your ever caught in that situation...And right before you go under for the last time, you'll wish you would have listened ..may God be with you..
dablaw
hunter

Postby duckslaya_187 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:36 pm

It has nothing to do with bulletproof. It has to do with the fact that what most people think are 10 foot waves are in reality 4 foot. 3 foot waves are in reality 1.5, etc.
if you aint blastin you aint lastin
duckslaya_187
hunter

Postby dablaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:21 pm

and you know this because of all your years of experience right..All 19 years of it..Hit the back button pup...
dablaw
hunter

Postby rank duck » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:36 pm

No disrespect intended dablaw. I have been on Kentucky Lake in 4 ft waves in a small aluminum fishing boat and it felt like a tsunami. When down in the trough you couldn't see over the crest. I'm guessing you've seen your share of nasty water before. But people do tend to over estimate bad things. As I sit in this room and look at the wall across from me which is 8 ft from floor to ceiling, it's hard to imagine 10 ft waves on Kentucky lake. Looking at my basketball goal that is 10 ft from concrete to rim and it's just hard to imagine waves that high on that lake. I suspect people are thinking that you may have over estimated. That's all.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby kynitro » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:07 pm

I know just what dablaw is talking about. When you get 30 mph winds with 40+ gusts that stretch of Ky lake can get 8-10 foot waves. Ive had my 19 ft bass boat disapear in between waves and the next swell would stand the boat almost straight up. You get some big waves up next to the bank but its nothing like the swells in the middle of the lake. Doesnt matter if their 4 ft or 10 ft just be careful out there guys
Here today, gone tomorrow
kynitro
Newb

Postby Naterdashotgunner » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 pm

kynitro wrote: Doesnt matter if their 4 ft or 10 ft just be careful out there guys

Amen!
Naterdashotgunner
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:05 pm

We hunted Ky in 70mph winds during early goose when Ike blew thru a few years ago. I had inflatable goose decoys taking off and spinning on the end of the decoy lines. And the geese did fly in between the gusts allthought the long necked bastages waited till we were walking back to the boat to do so...
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby dablaw » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Max I don't have to tell you how rough it can get ..I guess some of these guys will just have to learn...hopefully not the hard way...I don't mean to come off as a hard ass about all this but I'd rather ya'll crack jokes, or be all pissy towards me than to end up dead...I can live with the first...the second would break my heart...Be safe..David.
dablaw
hunter

Postby Quackrstackr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:30 pm

dablaw wrote:but I'd rather ya'll crack jokes, or be all pissy towards me than to end up dead...I can live with the first...the second would break my heart...Be safe..David.

Ditto that, David.

Some of you young bulletproof studs would do well to heed the advice and experiences of some of the more long in the tooth fellas from time to time. Especially those that grew up around here on the lakes. If the wind can sustain an 8+ foot wind tide on the great lakes, you can bet your boat that it can whip up 10 footers on Kentucky Lake.
Quackrstackr
hunter

Postby rank duck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm neither young, a stud, or bullet proof. And I'm the first to ask "what could go wrong with this situation that we haven't considered?" Seen Kentucky Lake turn ugly before we could even cross the channel and got washed up on a shoal. Fortunately is was summer and hypothermia wasn't an issue. Just never thought there could be 10 ft swells on kentucky lake.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Next

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting