Ballard / West KY Daily Draws

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Ballard / West KY Daily Draws

Postby mike_b » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:57 am

I'm going to head west today and I'm wondering if anyone can explain how the daily drawings work at Ballard WMA, Boatwright WMA and Clarks River NWR?

Are the Ballard and Boatwright drawings at different locations? Is it feasible to be turned away from Ballard only to go to Boatwright? At Boatwright, if you're drawn for a boat spot, is that like a specific spot on some lake or just any spot on any lake? Do you have any recommendations about either place?

Is Clarks River NWR worth trying? Some of the Cypress bottoms look fun to hunt.

Sorry for all the questions, just never been there.
mike_b
hunter

Re: Ballard / West KY Daily Draws

Postby 13space82 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:13 am

The draws are different spots. Ballard WMA draw is in the town of Oscar while Boatwright is in Barlow. It is feasible at times to make a run from Ballard to Boatwright, but don't expect to get a good blind, usually you'll just have to take what is left over.

Never hunting Clarks River.

Also, you have to pick a boat spot on the lakes there, you just can't boat up to a number, you have to specifically select it.

Good luck, I think you're gonna need it, been hearing they've been having the biggest crowds ever here recently.
TNAL45 wrote: Well done sir. I vote this best bitch slap in DHC history.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=174844

go get the bird wrote:Every time you post, Jesus lets a pitbull live.
13space82
hunter

Postby Quackrstackr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:48 pm

There is no daily draw on Clark's River. The predetermined waterfowl areas with blind locations are drawn for in either September or October, I can't remember. All other sloughs on the refuge are public hunting. Just make sure that you are on the refuge. Lots of private ground intermingled and it's easy to walk right past those yellow stripes on trees in the dark.
Quackrstackr
hunter

Postby ChevyKYfowler24 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 pm

check it out for yourself on kill numbers at both boatwright and ballard. when i went to big ballard on opening morning of it finally opening they were only drawing for 14 blinds. and there was 14 reservations. no poor line boys even got chance to have gotten drawn.
http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.aspx?cid=67 ... h=C741C746
ChevyKYfowler24
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting