Central Kentucky DU Projects

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Central Kentucky DU Projects

Postby DeathCommander » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Where is the love? I have hunted all around the country and have been very pleased with their work. Hence why I support them every year with a donation. What I don’t understand is why we can’t get a similar project going in Central KY. We have plenty of agricultural grounds, river systems, and lakes. So why can’t DU spend the money in a region that generally is very supportive of their organization? Just a thought..
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Re: Central Kentucky DU Projects

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:53 pm

For the same reason cities in the South don't budget huge amounts of money for snow removal. Central KY is not known for waterfowl, so why would a waterfowl organization put money into projects in this area? The money is best spent elsewhere, where DU can get more bang for its buck.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DeathCommander » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:14 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:For the same reason cities in the South don't budget huge amounts of money for snow removal. Central KY is not known for waterfowl, so why would a waterfowl organization put money into projects in this area? The money is best spent elsewhere, where DU can get more bang for its buck.

True, but in the same sense the argument can be made that lower numbers of migrating waterfowl in the Central part of the state is a direct result of fewer shallow water wetlands. Its just like the field of dreams, if you build it, they will come. There is a reason why there have been estimates of 20,000 plus birds using ballard and surrounding refuges. HABITAT. And we have no support in building it effectively. Instead of cruising down the ohio river you could start to see ducks flying due south to find this hypothetical refuge. Its probable with the right steps taken in developing some sort of wetland.
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:43 pm

More habitat would equal a slight increase in ducks, but not by much. Central KY isn't in the meat of the flyway, so the duck traffic isn't as high when compared with other parts of the state or flyway. This is why you're not seeing DU put money into duck habitat outside of the higher concentration areas.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dablaw » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Ive had the same arguement about Ky. and Barkley Lakes..Why not spend the money on this huge waterway to create more habitat...But the answer lies in the aforementioned...This is just not on a priority list for DU or any other Conservation organization...I personally would be all for shutting off the back 1/3 of every bay on both lakes and really plant it and go for broke on leaving each back 1/3 as a refuge and off limits to hunting or fishing from Sept 1st until Feb 1st of the following year...Basically through waterowl season...Where they have done this in a few bays it has helped to bring in a few birds..Now imagine this theory times 100...I think the impact would be huge...Every front 2/3 of every bay would be in the flight path of birds..I think it would get really good really fast...I for one would donate a huge amount of time and resources to do this if a large following would be behind me...And then with state and federal funding to purchase seed. nest boxes, and other things to bring the habitat to A+++ status....We would all benefit...Would be something nice to leave the next generation of waterfowlers and sportsmen...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:02 pm

dablaw wrote:Ive had the same arguement about Ky. and Barkley Lakes..Why not spend the money on this huge waterway to create more habitat...But the answer lies in the aforementioned...This is just not on a priority list for DU or any other Conservation organization...I personally would be all for shutting off the back 1/3 of every bay on both lakes and really plant it and go for broke on leaving each back 1/3 as a refuge and off limits to hunting or fishing from Sept 1st until Feb 1st of the following year...Basically through waterowl season...Where they have done this in a few bays it has helped to bring in a few birds..Now imagine this theory times 100...I think the impact would be huge...Every front 2/3 of every bay would be in the flight path of birds..I think it would get really good really fast...I for one would donate a huge amount of time and resources to do this if a large following would be behind me...And then with state and federal funding to purchase seed. nest boxes, and other things to bring the habitat to A+++ status....We would all benefit...Would be something nice to leave the next generation of waterfowlers and sportsmen...

Amen Brother.

duckbuster- By no means am I claiming it will become as good as the middle of duck country, but what I am advocating is the fact of increased habitat equals increase in birds. Plain and simple. Its what makes the Mississippi flyway what it is. Without the habitat there would be no birds... Habitat is the #1 factor. Its why DU exists in the first place.
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby duckslaya_187 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Who is du and what do they do? are they the government?
if you aint blastin you aint lastin
duckslaya_187
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:48 pm

You hit the nail on the head. DU is a conservation organization first and foremost. Conservation is number one, often without the consideration of hunters. Why spend money where there are a few ducks when you could spend that money where there are a lot of ducks? Have you ever thought that most areas are very supportive of DU? What qualifies as very supportive? Where do central KY chapters rank compared with other areas around the country? The "if you build it, they will come" argument doesn't have much merit. It's more like, "If you build it, you will concentrate what you already have." Do you think you're going to be pulling ducks farther east on the flyway just by building a few DU projects? You are fighting against historical flight paths and the Mississippi River.

Essentially what you are arguing is that because central KY hunters give to DU, then DU should build projects here. DU is worried about habitat preservation and conservation of waterfowl. Waterfowlers support DU, but in no way is DU's main goal to please hunters. If you want an organization that is focused on what hunters want, you should support Delta. Why would DU spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in central KY when this money could be spent in the middle of the flyway?
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BlackDuck09 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:35 am

Duckbuster06 has pretty much stated the exact reasons why you see no love in Central KY or hardly any of KY for that matter. It is physically impossible for DU to create 500-1000 acres worth of wetlands in central KY than can compete with 500-1000++ entire counties of wetlands which are found in say Missouri or Arkansas. I hunt Barkley Lake on a regular basis and as much as I would love to see more action taken there and KY Lake, I know that there is seriously not much of a chance. It is just too hard to divert the birds from the flight patterns they have had for numerous years. The entire state would have to take extreme action for us to notice alot of change.
BlackDuck09
hunter

Postby mmayes » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am

There is is one sure fire way to make sure there is money pumped into a project in Kentucky and to where you would like it. Become a Life Sponsor and you can designate what project in the state you would like the money spent on. Otherwise DU will be putting the money where they feel it will be doing the most good.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 am

The problem with it is that DU has not done squat.. If they would at least put forth an effort to show some support by offering some sort of wetland project it wouldn't be such a slap in the face when I am donating so that other people can shoot limits. Does it really take a 50,000 plus dollar donation to get their attention? Think if the role was reversed and you had to hunt here duckbuster. You can’t tell me it wouldn’t be a little frustrating to have your financial support go unnoticed. I agree that DU should concentrate the majority of its funds to the major flyways, no question you are right. What I don’t agree with is that fact that they cant spend a few hundred thousand and open up the opportunity to get more people involved in duck hunting, AND IT WOULD HAVE THEIR NAME ON IT!!!! Think about the impact that would have financially for DU, and the state as a whole! They would gain that money back in donations very quickly as a direct result of new hunters. I emailed DU making this very point. Hopefully I get a response. We shall see.
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:05 am

I understand your point and it is why a lot of people have a problem with DU. You're essentially giving money for the greater good. To think that they would cater towards the hunter's interests rather than the duck's is somewhat self centered but justified. Once again, I understand your point but just don't see DU blowing money outside of the big areas. I think you're overestimating the impact of a project like this in central KY as far as new hunters/donations and more ducks in the area are concerned.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mmayes » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:59 am

DeathCommander wrote:The problem with it is that DU has not done squat.. If they would at least put forth an effort to show some support by offering some sort of wetland project it wouldn't be such a slap in the face when I am donating so that other people can shoot limits. Does it really take a 50,000 plus dollar donation to get their attention? Think if the role was reversed and you had to hunt here duckbuster. You can’t tell me it wouldn’t be a little frustrating to have your financial support go unnoticed. I agree that DU should concentrate the majority of its funds to the major flyways, no question you are right. What I don’t agree with is that fact that they cant spend a few hundred thousand and open up the opportunity to get more people involved in duck hunting, AND IT WOULD HAVE THEIR NAME ON IT!!!! Think about the impact that would have financially for DU, and the state as a whole! They would gain that money back in donations very quickly as a direct result of new hunters. I emailed DU making this very point. Hopefully I get a response. We shall see.

PM me and I will get you in contact with the senior leadership in Kentucky Ducks Unlimited and you can be heard directly or come to the State Convetion at the end March at Lake Barkley State Park and go to the meetings and ask for the floor and address the body as a whole.

Also a Life Sponsor is only 10,000.00. Out of my league but there are several people that have pledged that kind of money.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby duckslaya_187 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:13 pm

I dont understand what is du and why does it cost 10,000?
if you aint blastin you aint lastin
duckslaya_187
hunter

Postby rcskywalker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:46 pm

rcskywalker
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:07 pm

mmayes wrote:
DeathCommander wrote:The problem with it is that DU has not done squat.. If they would at least put forth an effort to show some support by offering some sort of wetland project it wouldn't be such a slap in the face when I am donating so that other people can shoot limits. Does it really take a 50,000 plus dollar donation to get their attention? Think if the role was reversed and you had to hunt here duckbuster. You can’t tell me it wouldn’t be a little frustrating to have your financial support go unnoticed. I agree that DU should concentrate the majority of its funds to the major flyways, no question you are right. What I don’t agree with is that fact that they cant spend a few hundred thousand and open up the opportunity to get more people involved in duck hunting, AND IT WOULD HAVE THEIR NAME ON IT!!!! Think about the impact that would have financially for DU, and the state as a whole! They would gain that money back in donations very quickly as a direct result of new hunters. I emailed DU making this very point. Hopefully I get a response. We shall see.

PM me and I will get you in contact with the senior leadership in Kentucky Ducks Unlimited and you can be heard directly or come to the State Convetion at the end March at Lake Barkley State Park and go to the meetings and ask for the floor and address the body as a whole.

Also a Life Sponsor is only 10,000.00. Out of my league but there are several people that have pledged that kind of money.

Mayes

Thanks for the suggestions. I got in touch with DU and they told me habitat projects are mainly the doings of state governments, and DU basically funds it.
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby MarshCallUser » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 am

Actually there is one DU easement in Central KY, so they do some work in the area.
MarshCallUser
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:38 am

Well, visited the Kentucky River WMA.... Really?

Its one slough with 4 or 5 1000 sq. ft. potholes. Nothing substantial. Didnt see one bird. This is very frustrating.
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby deaconlab » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Of a dollar donated to DU, what percent is for "administration" and what percent goes to "projects"? And, if it's not "practical" to spend DU money in Central Ky. why would anyone here donate money...to support duck numbers somewhere else so someone else will have birds to hunt?
deaconlab
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:47 pm

For the greater good. Where do ducks reproduce? I would say the vast majority of DU's money is spent in Canada and the prairie pothole region, also known as the duck factories. You give money to maintain/preserve wetlands where ducks are being produced in order to shoot more in the fall and winter. Did you guys not realize this stuff before giving to DU, or did you just give blindly?

As far as "the situation being reversed" and me "having to hunt around here," I live in Lexington, so I'd love for DU to do a project around here. It's simply not realistic or practical.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DeathCommander » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:35 am

duckbuster06 wrote:For the greater good. Where do ducks reproduce? I would say the vast majority of DU's money is spent in Canada and the prairie pothole region, also known as the duck factories. You give money to maintain/preserve wetlands where ducks are being produced in order to shoot more in the fall and winter. Did you guys not realize this stuff before giving to DU, or did you just give blindly?

As far as "the situation being reversed" and me "having to hunt around here," I live in Lexington, so I'd love for DU to do a project around here. It's simply not realistic or practical.

I give to DU because I hunt one of their newest marshes in Kansas I have seen how much good they do. I dont give blindly. And yes I am aware that the majority of their funds go to the pothole region and Canada. Where we will have to agree to disagree is getting a couple legitimate projects going up here. A dozer and some water control structures are not difficult. Especially in this area I think you could get volunteer work to accomplish much of the labor...
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:17 pm

If you could come up with some sort of plan and generate enough interest KDFWR might look at it but you would have to have some major help in the form of politicians ect to get the Depts attention. Then you could make offers to DU.

Personally; I dont' have much respect for KDFWR when it comes to ducks. They put quite a bit into Ballard/Sloughs but they dont' act like they much care about the little man in Kentucky. Kentucky may not have as good of terrain as Il, Mo and Tn but they dont' seem to give a rats azz either.

Venture out of state and see how much better the surrounding states run their programs... KDFWR does fine with deer, elk and turkeys ect but they are clueless rookies with waterfowl.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby Skilletshootin » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:56 pm

They have a popular logo sticker though
We ain't in the duck huntin business
We's in the duck killin business.....
And brother business is a boomin!!!
Skilletshootin
hunter

Postby mike_b » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:53 am

DeathCommander wrote:Well, visited the Kentucky River WMA.... Really?

Its one slough with 4 or 5 1000 sq. ft. potholes. Nothing substantial. Didnt see one bird. This is very frustrating.

There is a moist soil unit at Taylorsville and also a number of wetland restoration acres in several places near Morehead. That isn't to say they hold any birds. My biggest complaint is that the state has failed to maintain the waterfowl attractiveness. DU supported the projects financially, but you go there and nesting boxes are broken, destroyed or otherwise in disrepair. I think the unit at Taylorsville relied on a groundwater pump that broke a while back and nobody fixed it.

The DU projects here are better at supporting early season hunting than attracting migrating birds.

Also, the KTC stream restoration group has created a number of shallow wetland restorations in central KY. They are restoring and recovering acres of wetlands lost due to road construction, etc. For example, driving up the licking river towards Cave Run you can just see all the fields which were once shallow water wetlands of the Licking until ditches and drains were installed to channel the river. Anyways, these restoration areas, when concentrated close enough, are good at holding birds.
mike_b
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:14 pm

I have a close friend who is a state politician would he be the one i would need to talk to in order to get things rolling or possibly sway the KDFWR one way or another?
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Next

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting