Central Kentucky DU Projects

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Re: Central Kentucky DU Projects

Postby DeathCommander » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:18 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:I have a close friend who is a state politician would he be the one i would need to talk to in order to get things rolling or possibly sway the KDFWR one way or another?

Yes. If he cant personally do something he knows someone who can...
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby mike_b » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Does anyone know if they still flood the moist soil unit from Beech Creek near Taylorsville? There is also a moist soil unit at Dix River, but I think it is fed by runoff.

What are you looking for exactly to be done?

There are several small open field WMAs near here that could benefit from being planted and harvested with corn, etc. But there won't be any birds there past the 3rd day of the season if they don't make a refuge. I would love to see some department blinds that are over corn, or milo, etc within 45 minutes of Lexington. DU may help fund some habitat development in those spots, but really KDFWR needs to pay attention to central KY hunters.

The new 2500 acre WMA in Scott county will be have a few stream restoration areas which may or may not be slated to create shallow wetlands. These may help roost some traveling birds.

It may be of interest to request from KDFWR the number of KY waterfowl permits purchased by county. I'm sure central KY still has a strong percentage.
mike_b
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:57 am

mike_b wrote:Does anyone know if they still flood the moist soil unit from Beech Creek near Taylorsville? There is also a moist soil unit at Dix River, but I think it is fed by runoff.

What are you looking for exactly to be done?

There are several small open field WMAs near here that could benefit from being planted and harvested with corn, etc. But there won't be any birds there past the 3rd day of the season if they don't make a refuge. I would love to see some department blinds that are over corn, or milo, etc within 45 minutes of Lexington. DU may help fund some habitat development in those spots, but really KDFWR needs to pay attention to central KY hunters.

The new 2500 acre WMA in Scott county will be have a few stream restoration areas which may or may not be slated to create shallow wetlands. These may help roost some traveling birds.

It may be of interest to request from KDFWR the number of KY waterfowl permits purchased by county. I'm sure central KY still has a strong percentage.

I agree with you on the refuge area @ Dix River. It is a great tract of land that has plenty of potential, it just needs some water! It could be 300 + acres of marsh (2-3 ft.) but they simply wont extend the current area that is holding water. There are several sloughs that run into timber tracts that would be wood duck heaven, along with great open marsh areas. The Mud Lick Creek could be easily diverted into the slough to allow for immediate water supply. Its also large enough to have a decent sized area for a refuge. This would benefit not only the Dix River WMA but Cedar Creek as well.
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Previous

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting