Duck Hunting Forum banner

Request Ballard WMA Education

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  lablover0929 
#1 ·
Guys,

I am a Paducah native looking to try Ballard sometime. Our family has had a lease in Hickman for years and this year we have been smokin' their asses since Christmas, but when the river dropped, our birds left as well :sad: . I am an experienced duck hunter and caller with boat, motor, boat blind, dekes, robos, jerk chords, you name it.

I have hunted Kentucky Lake and had great sucess there when the conditions are right, but I have always wanted to try Ballard or Boatwright or whatever else is available at this end of the state. I don't know the first thing about Ballard WMA. Where to go, what time to be there, how to draw, what additional permits I might need, walk in vs boat in, special regs, etc. Personally I'd rather boat in as carrying all my chit in waders through a muddy field or slough isn't my idea of a good time. Plus my boat has a heater!

Anyway, I was hoping to first get some pointers but also perhaps hook up with someone who has experience and team up for a hunt or two. I'll bring all the big stuff if you bring your gun, ammo, and experience and show me the ins and outs of hunting Ballard WMA. I am pretty flexible with my work schedule and can hunt during the week if that is preferred.

Any tips greatly appreciated and if someone wants to meet up for a hunt or two...even better.

See less See more
#3 ·
So what happens if you don't get drawn? What is the probability of getting drawn? And if you don't get drawn, are there other places near by that you could go? Or is your morning pretty much shot unless you have a couple spots in your back pocket just in case?

Just curious since I don't know anyone that has been down there

#4 ·
teddysberna said:
So what happens if you don't get drawn? What is the probability of getting drawn? And if you don't get drawn, are there other places near by that you could go? Or is your morning pretty much shot unless you have a couple spots in your back pocket just in case?

Just curious since I don't know anyone that has been down there
Honestly, they do everything the can do fit you in at Ballard if you don't get drawn(they'll pair you up with strangers if you don't mind). However, in most years, you can haul ass down to Boatwright WMA in Barlow and typically get a blind(most of the time). Make sure you are the first one to leave so you have the best chance(usually the Warden from Ballard will call the Warden at Barlow to see if they have room for any more hunters).

If this doesn't work....I don't know what to tell you. There are a few more WMAs but they are a little bit of a drive 20mins-1hr. At 5am you don't have much more time.

Here's what I usually do if I plan on hunting up there. I'll hook up to my boat,go to Ballard WMA first, if its crowded as hell, I'll just skip over it and go to Barlow.

#6 ·
Boatwright actually has 3 draws that start around 5AM and happen every 10 mins. I think wade-in is first, this is for people who want to wade or kayak back into the the swamp. The second is boat hunters IIRC, and those are designated spots on the 3 lakes where you can anchor and hunt. I think last is blind hunters. The blinds are decent ground blinds with several surrounded by food plots. There blinds are almost always open, but they can be hit or miss. For boat hunters, there is a barely reflective sign on a tree near where you are supposed to hunt, you boat must be tied within 20 or 30 feet of the tree. When I did a boat draw, it was almost impossible to find these signs in the dark but had I known the lake, maybe it would be different.

#7 ·
boat blinds and walkins are drawn together now to put space between draws of walk ins so the race isnt bad. then its on to blinds.

backup options-

mccracken wma has DU area walk in or boat if deep enough.

Winford pond in carlise outside of wickliffe is close option.

doug travis check and see if any blinds are available.

If you have illinois liscense they have a ton of walk in areas at horseshoe that you just sign in and walk out there and hunt. the sign in spots are at different parking lots. check the regs on shell limits and what time you have to stop shooting. etc. (This is probably your best option)

#8 ·
If the weather keeps up, we will be using field shells in the swamp. Some of the lakes are down 2 feet. The last few days we have had a little rain each day. We need rain every week. Already working on alternate plans of attack for this season. Folks better have a big bag of tricks to kill ducks this season if we dont get the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.