Decoy Spread

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Decoy Spread

Postby bugle freak » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:13 am

Do you all use all mallards in your duck spread? Does it make it better or worse to mix in some other types of ducks, like woodies, black ducks, etc to your spread? Also how many decoys do you all use?
bugle freak
hunter

Re: Decoy Spread

Postby Rhhold0812 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:10 am

What type of habitat are you hunting? Marsh? Pond? Flooded timber? Lake? Also where are you hunting? Are there woodies and teal and black ducks around where you hunt? Plus it depends on what time of year.
Rhhold0812
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:22 pm

all i use are mallards. woodies an most other ducks will decoy to a mallard spread but it would not hurt to have other types worked in
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:49 am

I try to put out something different then everyone else on public land. I throw out shovelers, woodies, pintails, the more white the better. Most people put out around 3 dozen standard mallards, so I figure its best to show em something different. I really don't think that putting out only species that are in the area makes a difference either. Just the look of ducks, of any type, on the water is what matters.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby mmayes » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:39 am

That is the million dollar question. There is no right or wrong answer.

The only thing i can say is I use anywhere from 9 decoys to 10dz when hunting ducks.

When hunting puddle ducks I traditionally use a spread of 2 pintail drakes, 2 Black Ducks, and 8 supermag mallards. Thats my go to spread for late season. For migration days I will use as many as I can get to where i am hunting. If there are no Pintails around i will leave them out and just hunt with the mallards and blacks. I personally don't see a need for gadwal or widgeon decoys

If i am diver hunting I use on average 4-6 dz diver decoys mainly Blue Bills and Cans with 4-8 Golden Eyes of to the side.

I tailor my decoy #'s to types and #'s of ducks around.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:02 am

If your boats not full of decoys then you need more decoys! If your boat is full of decoys than you need a bigger boat!
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:43 am

I usually only throw out 5 mallards and a pair of blacks just for visability. Seems to work well most days but I'm in central KY we don't have thousands migrating by. Butt up on a jerk string is my most important decoy keeping the water moving. Sometimes I throw in a pair of geese to one side of the spread. Most ponds I hunt they share the water so more realism.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting