Will Ballard have any water or ducks come this winter?!?!

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Re: Will Ballard have any water or ducks come this winter?!?!

Postby ballard_boy84 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Man i was in the bottoms saturday and monday. I seen mostly wood ducks and not near as many ducks as ive normal this time of year and i grew up and live there and hunted it my whole life. It will get good once we get some water but right now ot doesnt look goof. I tried to put my boat in buck to do some work on my trailer and its so low i had to push my boat off the trailer and it stuck in the mud. When i tried to put it back on the trailer i had to use a paddle to puah my 12 jon with 6hp on it. No way you can run a motor on buck. And u will b on the bottom. I have to work opening day so i dont care to say that i seen about 6 woodies y i was working on my boat but i saw about 15 mallards on beaver dam. The refuge has several birds tho and i also walked monday back into some holes in ****** wool and i did see a few birds back there but nothing special but walking through there is awful. We just need some water and not an inch or 2. We need about a week of slow soaking rain because its bone dry. Easiest place to get and can run a motor would be beaver dam or flat. Flat will be low too and hard to put in a boat. The river is coming up but rain is the only thing to help the bottoms the river doesnt effect it unless it gets out of its banks but it will allow the reduge to pump at 20. Hope this helps and good luck to every one opening day. Ill be at work fml
ballard_boy84
hunter

Postby scastle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:00 am

hay freind dont mean to be smart , but it sounds like you are putting all your eggs in one basket,if one place dont have ducks,then go out and scout for more places to hunt.to me thats what make it fun, is hunting other places.just my thoughts good luck
scastle
hunter

Postby Speck100 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 pm

I know man but me and my son got in on a soybean field down there that was suppose to have water but it's been so dry we will have to dry field hunt it. I was just wanting people's inputs on it. We have other spots to hunt to but I just wanted to know
Speck100
hunter

Postby ballard_boy84 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:12 pm

I wish you luck. I know what ya mean. U spend money on a field u want to be able to hunt it. There will be some around ya may have to work really hard and put in a lot of time if u want them opening day. But it will get good before its over man.
ballard_boy84
hunter

Postby Speck100 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Are u saying u think it will still get good with us hunting a dry field? Do you have any experience on hunting a dry field? I know they do it a lot over at horseshoe but I didn't know If anybody does it in Ballard.
Speck100
hunter

Postby ballard_boy84 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 pm

I hunt in union county illinois a lot and we have had some good dry pits but if you think about it from canada to mid illinois most of the ducks shot are shot in dry fields. When its super cold of course they gotta feed so dry field will be good down there id say or just colder weather but i believe it would be tough on a 50 degree day to kill ducks in a dry field. But as limited as the water is ya never know. Go try it since 10,000 ppl will be down here opening weekend and they wont be able to get anywhere by boat. I just got home from a drive through the bottoms an hour ago and last nights rain did nothing for ****** swamp or flat or anywhere. Water level is lower now than last week. And river got to about 20ft at cairo and is down to 16 now and going to 13 by friday so idk about it. Water is few and far between and with it that low on the river the refuge will not pump anymore and they havent in a few days.
Good luck,

Go to the dry field and try it. Unless u want to fight every1 on beaver dam and flat cause thst is the only place you can get in. Its just gonna take some time down here to get some water and get good. Saw about 20 gadwall and a few of wood ducks on beaver dam today and flat had a bunch of teal well prolly around 50 and 16 mallards. Saw a group fly way back in ****** of bout 10 and go down but who knows where ya would have to walk to a pot hole out in that mess right now and saw nothing on buck and saw like 4 ducks on fish which was rare. Ha. And that is my update. Just not a good early season. Guys.
ballard_boy84
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:28 pm

hahaha... only been pumping for about 2 days as of 2pm.. jumped 300+ mallards off what little water we had...
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Medic4049 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:43 am

Id say head for LBL nd set up on a bay. I think there is going to b lots of ducks here but lil water. Also we have lots of grain left n the fields. Im thinking this will b a year to remember if u hunt smart. Union county has 14,000 and its early
Medic4049
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:44 pm

was told that as of dark last night there were over 10,000 birds in our field with more still going in.. should have good numbers by thanksgiving.. though i guess 10k is not really something to turn my nose up at..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Medic4049 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:51 pm

Im thinking if u find a good hole with water or hunt the river u r going to have an outstanding year. I think the grass groing n the holes will b awesome if it floods too. I think hunting fields is going to b hard with so much grain on the ground.
Medic4049
hunter

Previous

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting