Sloughs WMA Hunting

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Sloughs WMA Hunting

Postby DIYduckslayer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm new to this forum, and hoping responses to my Topic/Question won't be as nasty as they were in the last forum I particpated in. I got drawn for a Sloughs WMA Hunt (3 day) and would like some information about the area, and what to expect. Also, is there a place where I can find hunter updates? Has anyone hunted the #51 blind before? Can you tell me anything about it, or the area in general? Thanks a ton -
DIYduckslayer
hunter

Re: Sloughs WMA Hunting

Postby wratliffky » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:18 am

Welcone to the forum! I've hunted it a couple of times and killed a few both times. As far as updates you might could try calling the refuge office. All I know is last year there were tons of specs and snows so if you have decoys for them I would definitely take them.
wratliffky
hunter

Postby duckheadforge » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 am

I was drawn for Sloughs also, it is my first time there as well. I would like to know if the field ever floods and should I take a canoe. Ill be there on the 10th so Ill let you know what I see lol..
duckheadforge
hunter

Sloughs WMA Hunting

Postby mike_b » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:47 am

You shouldn't need any canoe etc unless you hunt Jenny Hole. The blinds are usually easy to access. You'll be lacking water if anything.
mike_b
hunter

Postby DIYduckslayer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:00 am

Thanks for the info. guys ... and DuckHead - I'll be looking forward to hearing how it went for you. I'm drawn for Dec. 21-23, then I'm heading to Reelfoot for two days. Should be a great week.
DIYduckslayer
hunter

Postby sthwht24 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:47 pm

DIYduckslayer wrote:Thanks for the info. guys ... and DuckHead - I'll be looking forward to hearing how it went for you. I'm drawn for Dec. 21-23, then I'm heading to Reelfoot for two days. Should be a great week.

I drew 51 & this will be my first trip out there too. Going to call the office next week & stop by and check it out before our hunt. I'll be down there week after next & I'll let you know how it goes.
sthwht24
hunter

Postby oscar67213 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:47 am

lots of snows specs and blues on fuge. some ducks not great #s yet friday looks like a chance for another push [i hope!]
very dry
they been killin some ducks north side of river at hovey but nothing great yet
oscar67213
hunter

Postby oscar67213 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:51 am

DIYduckslayer wrote:Thanks for the info. guys ... and DuckHead - I'll be looking forward to hearing how it went for you. I'm drawn for Dec. 21-23, then I'm heading to Reelfoot for two days. Should be a great week.

i hunt reelfoot some . got some good friends there they did pretty good on 2day state hunt past weekend.
who u hunting with?
oscar67213
hunter

Postby DIYduckslayer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:47 am

OSCAR:

We hunt with Mark Pearce. Great guy. He has a blind on the Firing Line. Used to hunt with Johnny Cochran (RIP) too - and now that Johnny's blind is gone, the Firing Line is better to hunt (his and Joe's were only 200 yds away from each other! ) Looking forward to our trips there the next two months. Should be fun !
DIYduckslayer
hunter

Postby sthwht24 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:09 pm

oscar67213 wrote:lots of snows specs and blues on fuge. some ducks not great #s yet friday looks like a chance for another push [i hope!]
very dry
they been killin some ducks north side of river at hovey but nothing great yet

Yea I saw where they were calling for a chance of a little snow next weekend. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
sthwht24
hunter

Postby oscar67213 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:25 am

DIYduckslayer wrote:OSCAR:

We hunt with Mark Pearce. Great guy. He has a blind on the Firing Line. Used to hunt with Johnny Cochran (RIP) too - and now that Johnny's blind is gone, the Firing Line is better to hunt (his and Joe's were only 200 yds away from each other! ) Looking forward to our trips there the next two months. Should be fun !

my friend kevin hassel had a blind on fireing line [very nice]
he,s got one across from grays camp and a draw on gooch this year
haven,t heard how he did this weekend
other friend down there said it was very slow this weekend ,not sure where he hunted though
going to get back to uniontown bottoms in a couple days hope to get a push with the weather
oscar67213
hunter

Postby DIYduckslayer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Anyone hunted the Sloughs yet this year? Got any reports? I'm hunting central kentucky, and there are no "new" birds here right now ... all locals. Hope Ohio and Illinois get hit with 40" of snow soon.
DIYduckslayer
hunter

Postby DIYduckslayer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:48 pm

MAN ! Things are pretty quiet ... in the fields, on the rivers, and on this website. Are any of ya'll shooting birds? We've been scattering locals around a farm pond - but they've figured out the square bush now.... I'm just not seeing any new birds. Anyone else? Will the snowfall in the Mid-West help us out ? Sure was looking forward to an earlier year than what we had last year !
DIYduckslayer
hunter

Postby DIYduckslayer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:24 am

Anyone hunt the Sloughs WMA this past few days or so? Looking for an update on conditions, birds, etc. Thanks for any info. you can give.

Mike
DIYduckslayer
hunter

Postby DIYduckslayer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:58 pm

Well, we hunted the Sloughs Friday and Saturday the 21st, 22nd - tons of birds up there right now. Lots of Mallards, lots of Geese, especially those annoying Snows. Saw lots of Specks too. Had great group working on day one and 20 seconds before their last swing, the guys next to us shot - you know what that meant for us, of course. So that day, we shot at Geese and missed. Zero birds on day one.

Day two we woke up with 1/4 inch of ice and had to break it about 20 times during the first couple of hours in order to get shots. We shot two Mallards and missed a few other ducks. In all, it was a pretty cool experience - I'm not convinced the birds were migrators though - they worked back and forth all day between the Refuge and a Private farm where no one hunts.

I'll try again next year. PS: if anyone has a Sloughs blind they won't hunt for a day, send me a message - I'd like to try it again.
DIYduckslayer
hunter

Postby duckheadforge » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:14 pm

I hunted sloughs blind #41 on 10th and 11th. It was terrible, saw a couple groups of mallards but none came into range, they were not workable. saw thousands of snows coming off river half a mile high. four people, not one shot fired. I am in central ky also and just cant get a break this year.
duckheadforge
hunter

Postby duckheadforge » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:20 pm

Im starting to think that sloughs is better later in the season. next year I will choose later dates. their just wasnt anything up north to make them leave. Merry Christmas everyone !
duckheadforge
hunter

Postby hillbillyhunter3 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:43 am

Has anyone hunted blind 37. I'm familiar with the other blinds but have never seen or hunted #37. It looks like is is off by itself.
hillbillyhunter3
hunter

Postby hillbillyhunter3 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Any update on Sloughs?

Are things better now at Sloughs or Ballard?
hillbillyhunter3
hunter

Postby DIYduckslayer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:15 am

Buddy of mine shot a limit of Ducks and 2 Canada's this weekend on the Ballard WMA - but said many other draw blinds went without a shot. You had to have the right blind, in other words.

Have not heard anything about Sloughs lately ... anyone else heard ???
DIYduckslayer
hunter

Postby duckheadforge » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Got drawn for ballard waterfowl on dec.11/12. I was also drawn for sloughs blind 41. Is anyone familiar with this blind ? Last yr there wasnt anything but snows a mile high.
duckheadforge
hunter

Postby duckheadforge » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Does anyone know how many blinds they have at sloughs ? I just realized that i was drawn for the same blind as last yr. I was hoping for something different but i also was drawn for Ballard finally so i won't complain. There is no blind listed on ballard, do they tell you where to hunt when you get there ?
duckheadforge
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Ballard is a daily draw. Your guarenteed to hunt, you just won't know where until you draw.
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby duckheadforge » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:39 pm

I appreciate the info.. i think we're due for a bad winter. Hopefully it will be a benefit to everyone around ky. This place can be really hard on a duck hunter lol..
duckheadforge
hunter

Postby ssjohnluke » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Anybody know anything about blind 37?
ssjohnluke
Newb

Next

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting