East Kentucky

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

East Kentucky

Postby Ky.Game.Hog » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Hunted Yatesville on Friday. No ducks moving at all. Saw some geese but no fliers. Anyone know where the birds are? Was thinking of hunting Greenup WMA but havent heard any numbers.
Ky.Game.Hog
hunter

Re: East Kentucky

Postby msbias » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Hey- new to this forum, and to duck hunting. I hunted South Shore WMA this morning and saw about 15 ducks, all out of range. No geese. Where on Yatesville did you hunt? Ever hunted Grayson WMA?
msbias
Newb

Postby Ky.Game.Hog » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:28 pm

Grayson I have never hunted. Did Greenup last year and no luck. On Yatesville you can only hunt south of Greenbrier creek. So off of 32 if you go past golf course and launch from Greenbrier Creek ramp everyting on left is open and everything on right up to and including main marina is closed. Cherokee is closed as well. We been launching at rich Creek. It is all open. Got shots on woodies. Killed some mallards and geese. No big numbers but a few looks. They are local birds. Will keep you posted. Let me know if you do any good at Greenup. Headed to W. Ky next week but can hunt until end of season on weekends if you want to pm me.
Ky.Game.Hog
hunter

Postby msbias » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:21 pm

Hey, I appreciate the info. Would that section of the lake be safe to hunt from a canoe? Were you using decoys? I will let you know if I have any luck at South Shore/Grayson.
msbias
Newb

Postby 2daswamp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:05 pm

we have been hunting cave run some and on the ohio river. It has been a little slow. we went to Grayson the other day and scouted a little with hopes of getting on a good shoot and it is close to the house. we seen several local birds but not much flying around. I will be back at cave run end of week.
2daswamp
Newb

Postby scastle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:31 pm

i didnt think you could hunt cave run,
scastle
hunter

Postby I_wanna_get_ducky » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:56 am

What are the rules for Cave Run? I know where the restrcicted goose zone runs and I am familiar with the lake but, I do not know where you can and can not hunt. Thanks for any help.
I_wanna_get_ducky
Newb

Postby 2daswamp » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 pm

you can not get out on land on the Zilpo area. do not get on land that runs along side of 801. besides that the rest is common sense stuff,,,,,,,,,, no marinas, stay off the dam etc......
2daswamp
Newb

Postby mike_b » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 pm

scastle wrote:i didnt think you could hunt cave run,

You really need to read the guide. NE goose zone is open in January only. Geese cannot be hunted on public land OR public water within the restricted zone. This includes the entire lake except at the headwaters of beaver creek. Duck season operates as normal in this zone except a 2pm closure on public land. Tailwaters should be legal for geese.
mike_b
hunter

Postby scastle » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 am

sorry, just trying to keep someone from some trouble.thought i might learn something as well
scastle
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting