Cave Run

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Cave Run

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:29 am

How bare are the banks at Cave Run Lake during the late season? My family owns a camp around Cave Run and I'm looking to hunt their some this season, but am wondering about water levels at winter pool and how bare the banks are. Seems if they drop the lake too low their wouldn't be cover on the banks? I'm not looking for specific spots, have a few of those already in mind, just wondering about water levels. Thanks.
Waterfowling is truly an addiction.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Re: Cave Run

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Nobody can help me out here? I'm very familiar with the lake and spent all of last year waterfowling in WV. I'm willing to scout and do the work, but would like to know about how low the water gets at winterpool.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby mike_b » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:04 pm

WVClaysandBassin wrote:How bare are the banks at Cave Run Lake during the late season? My family owns a camp around Cave Run and I'm looking to hunt their some this season, but am wondering about water levels at winter pool and how bare the banks are. Seems if they drop the lake too low their wouldn't be cover on the banks? I'm not looking for specific spots, have a few of those already in mind, just wondering about water levels. Thanks.

Look at the pool levels on the USACE district website. They drop that lake quite a bit in the winter to handle winter and spring flood control. It's not a deep lake but there are spots in winter that are bare banks for 40ft or just 4ft. Depends on the a area. Lots of gadwall typically in the yearly surveys. KDFWR has some past surveys of ducks in that lake. Last year no surveys were flown. Note the lake and much of the area west of it are off limits all year to goose hunting. Be mindful of the early goose zone boundaries and hunting dates as well.you may also be subject to more limited hunting hours on public land there.
mike_b
hunter

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks Mike,

Very helpful info.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 pm

The winter pool is pretty low.....
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby duckheadforge » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:35 am

It does get pretty low and the banks do get pretty bare. A submarine would be best as long as you could navigate the gauntlet of stumps that are hiding just below the surface I bent my prop shaft on one last yr. And if there are any birds, they know what you are doing..... good luck
duckheadforge
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:52 am

sounds like damn reelfoot. i hate those freakin' underwater stumps
teamoutlaw
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting