Kentucky River Hunting

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Kentucky River Hunting

Postby jacob430 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 am

I am new to this state and have heard that I am allowed to hunt from my boat anywhere along the river. I am not used to these guidelines at all when it comes to waterfowl hunting. If anyone can give me some pointers or the actual regulations on that it would be great. Thankyou!
jacob430
hunter

Re: Kentucky River Hunting

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:15 am

regs are online or call the local warden. best to hear it from him then a guy on a forum
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby GoBlue82 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 pm

so it is like this, navigable water is public, but all land is private property, this includes the river banks and bottoms. so you can't touch the river bed or bank without permission of the land owner, this includes decoy weights and retrieving animals. so basically, you can float the rivers, but if you want to actually post up, you need land owner permission.
GoBlue82
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 pm

GoBlue82 wrote:so it is like this, navigable water is public, but all land is private property, this includes the river banks and bottoms. so you can't touch the river bed or bank without permission of the land owner, this includes decoy weights and retrieving animals. so basically, you can float the rivers, but if you want to actually post up, you need land owner permission.

This is inaccurate when it comes to the ky river. Most other rivers are this way but not the KY because it is a navigable waterway. (Locks etc.)
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby GoBlue82 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:02 am

KyFowl20 wrote:
GoBlue82 wrote:so it is like this, navigable water is public, but all land is private property, this includes the river banks and bottoms. so you can't touch the river bed or bank without permission of the land owner, this includes decoy weights and retrieving animals. so basically, you can float the rivers, but if you want to actually post up, you need land owner permission.

This is inaccurate when it comes to the ky river. Most other rivers are this way but not the KY because it is a navigable waterway. (Locks etc.)

I would double check that. Here is an email chain I had with KDFWR (My emails are in blue, KDFWR responses in red):

Hello,

I was wondering what the regulations are in the Commonwealth regarding hunting on navigable waterways such as the Ohio and Licking Rivers and the various creeks and branches that feed them. Basically, I am trying to figure out where I can hunt ducks both from a boat (floating or anchored) and from the shore or standing in the water. I know the rules vary from state to state so I figured the KDFWR would be the best place to turn for answers.

Thanks for your time and assistance,

Thank you for contacting us.

Unless otherwise noted in the waterfowl guide, these are open to hunting. Bear in mind however that solid ground is considered property, even that solid ground on banks of waterways, AND underwater, and you would need appropriate landowner permission to hunt and/or retrieve on these areas, including anchoring.

I hope that this helps answer your questions, and feel free to contact us anytime with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you again,

Robert (Bo) Spencer
KY Dept. Fish and Wildlife
Information Center
1-800-858-1549, Ext. 4557
robert.spencer@ky.gov

Thank you for your fast response. So just to clarify, floating and hunting, unless otherwise stated in the guide, is good to go. But to anchor a boat or drop decoys, anything that makes contact with the bottom of the river/creek or with the bank would need landowner permission. Is that right?

Also, how does this apply to the banks of larger Rivers, like the Ohio. Does the property line of the landowners on the shore run only up to the water line, or go all the way to the middle of the river?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me understand the nuances.

Correct, but you would also need permission to retrieve game that lands on solid ground.

Yes, this does include ALL waterways.

Robert (Bo) Spencer
Information Center
robert.spencer@ky.gov
GoBlue82
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Makes hunting super difficult from areas where it may not be easy to identify the landowner. Especially the KY an Ohio Rivers. It's a stupid rule if you ask me. Anywhere on the water should be public land.
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby mike_b » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:31 pm

Meh. All of this is decided in favor of the boater in KY case law (anchoring, touching bottom, even who's rights take precedence). Your KDFWR contact is just doing CYA because it has never been decided specifically for hunting. American Whitewater has a well cited interpretation of case law for KY waterways, you should google it then read the citations.
mike_b
hunter

Kentucky River Hunting

Postby mike_b » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:49 pm

GoBlue82 wrote:
KyFowl20 wrote:
Yes, this does include ALL waterways.

Robert (Bo) Spencer
Information Center
robert.spencer@ky.gov[/color]

One day, in a land of common sense and reason, a KDFWR employee will cite KRS and case law supporting their assertions.

Too bad they took down the KyAfield archive but here is my post linking to it. In the radio show they dedicated a significant amount of time to this where and assistant attorney general assigned to KDFWR explained why it's legal to touch bottom etc. So I never understand when KDFWR law enforcement directly goes against their AAG's interpretation.

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/s ... 2037123982

You can find it on archive.org well not the audio. The show is from 09/26/2010 and form the description:
Assistant Attorney General Margaret Everson, general counsel for the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, for an hour-long discussion about the laws on trespassing, landowner liability and navigation on waterways.
mike_b
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting