Public hunting in Kentucky. (this should be a sticky)

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Public hunting in Kentucky. (this should be a sticky)

Postby KyFowl20 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:44 pm

This should be a sticky. It seems that almost every other new thread is a new member who googles KY duck hunting and decides they are going to join and ask about public hunting. That being said, this thread is for all the guys and gals who get on this forum asking for public hunting info. Most everyone on this site who hunts public land has spent tons of time, and gas money to kill birds on public ground in KY. If you have questions about public hunting, post up here. You might get fortunante enough to recieve a private message in response to your post, or even an invite from members who frequent here. This is mainly for general info such as boundaries, grey areas in our state laws, or obvious public ground that no one cares to share. If you want to be successful, you have to do your homework, it is rarely handed to you in the form of a post.
Good luck to all KY newcomers and newbies to the sport of waterfowling!! :beer: .
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Re: Public hunting in Kentucky. (this should be a sticky)

Postby duckheadforge » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:16 pm

I wish kdfw would put forth half the effort on waterfowl as it does on deer and elk....
duckheadforge
hunter

Postby GoBlue82 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:25 am

I have a question that I have not been able to get a clear answer on no matter where I look. Basically, what is the law regarding hunting on public waters in Kentucky? I know that any navigable body of water is open to fishing and "temporary anchorage", but does that include setting up for waterfowl? Also, what about the Ohio and Licking Rivers? I read somewhere once, though for the life of me I cannot find it again, that you could hunt on the Ohio outside the I-275 bridges in NoKy, and something similar near Louisville. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
GoBlue82
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:44 am

Call headquarters and tell them you have a question about a law you would like cleared up. They will give you a contact for an answer. I've have done this in the past and it worked for me.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:25 am

TTT
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:40 pm

it's obviously not a sticky. i have an old post that should be tho. let me find that biotch
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Obviously not. And obviously every other thread is a new guy asking for handouts.... Still.
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby feetdownky » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:58 pm

KyFowl20 wrote:Obviously not. And obviously every other thread is a new guy asking for handouts.... Still.

You was a new guy once and judging by your TNA and YOLO sig lines your still a top water at best. I am a sportsman I enjoy the sport. This BBDH attitude is what's wrong not only with duckhunting but this country. I can promise you this. Everything you are doing as far as hunting goes has been done before by somebody else and probably at a better rate. If you don't want to vomit all your info on the web send them a PM, but being an arse for the sale of bein an arse is silly.
About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.
Ernest Hemingway
feetdownky
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:16 pm

It's simple. Public hunting info should be a sticky. I was not being an butthead at all. I get tired of wading through "tell me where to hunt threads". Get out and do your own footwork. That's how I have always done things.
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:19 pm

feetdownky wrote:
KyFowl20 wrote:Obviously not. And obviously every other thread is a new guy asking for handouts.... Still.

You was a new guy once and judging by your TNA and YOLO sig lines your still a top water at best.

You don't know who your talking to do ya big boy.
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby feetdownky » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:15 am

I kid, I kid.
Just ruflling your feathers a bit. I am just passing time while locked out of the hole I belong to. Don't take it personal. I will be gone soon enough and everything will be back to normal around these parts. I promise. :thumbsup:
About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.
Ernest Hemingway
feetdownky
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:04 am

So your not barred just serving time away huh? Seasons too close cant you get an early parrol for staying quite..seasons almost here!
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:20 am

Kyfowl already has his tent up on taylorsville lake holding his spot for the opener :lol:
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby feetdownky » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:44 pm

brsutton86 wrote:So your not barred just serving time away huh? Seasons too close cant you get an early parrol for staying quite..seasons almost here!

I don't think that is an option. I didn't get the parole option from the judge so will have to serve out the remaining time left on my sentence.
Ernest Hemingway
feetdownky
hunter

Postby hunt-4-life21 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:01 pm

feetdownky wrote:I kid, I kid.
Just ruflling your feathers a bit. I am just passing time while locked out of the hole I belong to. Don't take it personal. I will be gone soon enough and everything will be back to normal around these parts. I promise. :thumbsup:

Things are boring over there. How'd you get put on the timeout list this long and that fratboyart only get a couple weeks??
hunt-4-life21
hunter

Postby feetdownky » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Apparently all infractions are not created equal.

Keep Calm
And
Doom On
Ernest Hemingway
feetdownky
hunter

Postby GoBlue82 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:07 pm

the truth is, he asked for his own ban to be extended. he needed a break, and couldn't trust himself to stay away. i mean, what with all the shenanigans and goings on over there, can you really blame him?
GoBlue82
hunter

Postby gary0436 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:44 pm

hello,, i was wondering if anyone has ever been to the private clubin winchester ky clark fish and game? i am thinking about joining for duck hunting cost is high anyone been duckhunting their?
gary0436
Newb

Postby mmayes » Thu May 22, 2014 8:43 am

There is duck hunting in Winchester?

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby rcatron » Thu May 22, 2014 10:12 am

gary0436 wrote:hello,, i was wondering if anyone has ever been to the private clubin winchester ky clark fish and game? i am thinking about joining for duck hunting cost is high anyone been duckhunting their?

I have hunted there quite a bit and it is definitely not worth it just as a place to duck hunt. Decent days can be had but they are not common. It has designated blinds you have to hunt out of so you can't really setup where the birds want to be. Fishing can be pretty good though.

mmayes wrote:There is duck hunting in Winchester?

Mayes

There's lots. It's the seeing/killing ducks that's less common.
rcatron
hunter

Postby mmayes » Thu May 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Mayes

There's lots. It's the seeing/killing ducks that's less common.[/quote]

AHA! That explains it :thumbsup:

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby gary0436 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:52 pm

thanks for the info
gary0436
Newb

Postby teddysberna » Tue May 27, 2014 11:10 am

rcatron wrote:
gary0436 wrote:hello,, i was wondering if anyone has ever been to the private clubin winchester ky clark fish and game? i am thinking about joining for duck hunting cost is high anyone been duckhunting their?

I have hunted there quite a bit and it is definitely not worth it just as a place to duck hunt. Decent days can be had but they are not common. It has designated blinds you have to hunt out of so you can't really setup where the birds want to be. Fishing can be pretty good though.

Mayes

There's lots. It's the seeing/killing ducks that's less common.

Having hunted with this guy, I can confirm that he's telling the truth...
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby mmayes » Tue May 27, 2014 12:45 pm

I never doubted his word.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby ohead58 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:18 am

Hey guys,

I live in the Oldham County area and my brother and I have always leased and hunted properties away from our area or in other states. We've currently looking for some people that are accepting or wanting to join a group to try and hunt whenever we can each season publicly. We don't mind using our decoys, vehicles to transport, etc (we just don't have a boat) and we are looking for walk-in areas, etc to hunt on. No huge expectations as this is a sparse part of KY but it beats driving hours on end and having the wife and family upset every time we go out that far, hah. Thanks for any help fellas. We're both 30 and 34 if the age matters to anyone, lol. Thanks!
ohead58
Newb

Next

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting