Heading to SoDak

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Heading to SoDak

Postby DeathCommander » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:04 am

Well, after a few years of lottery disappointment, our group was drawn for a 10 day hunt in the North East zone of South Dakota from Oct. 26-Nov. 4. Needless to say Im stoked, and cant wait to get up there and start scouting & gaining permission. Has anyone on here been up that way? I've hunted all over Central Kansas so I'm familiar with the type of hunting in the southern plains, but interested to see if anyone can offer some advice/tips for the northern plains. Thanks & happy hunting!
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Re: Heading to SoDak

Postby KyFowl20 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:23 am

Good luck up there! I have several buddies that are headed to nodak in a week or so. Let us know how it goes. :beer:
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2014 / 2015 Season

KY:
Canadas:
Snows:
Ducks:
WI
Geese:
Ducks:

Haddix Game Calls Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:30 pm

KyFowl20 wrote:Good luck up there! I have several buddies that are headed to nodak in a week or so. Let us know how it goes. :beer:

It was a bloodbath man. I cannot believe the amount of water up there, and every single pothole holds birds. We killed 97 in 5 days and could have killed more if we wanted. Got into some snows, ross, blue's, canadians, and just about every puddle duck you can shake a stick at, along with 2 bull cans, ringers and bluebill. Hunted a flooded sunflower field that was holding an incredible number of pintails. I dont like to throw out estimates but it had to be 5K plus. Just a great time and I feel blessed to have had the opportunity. I encourage anyone who can to put in for the nonresident lottery next june. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:32 pm

did u freelance or was it guided? ur getting me interested!

Team Quackout
Rhock19
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Sounds like a hell of a time. My buddies just got back Sunday from Nodak. Killed 215 in 7 days. Everything from mallards to pins. I'm headed up to Wisconsin this Friday for a few days to extend my season.
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2014 / 2015 Season

KY:
Canadas:
Snows:
Ducks:
WI
Geese:
Ducks:

KyFowl20
hunter

Postby KyMike » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:29 am

Lets hear some more details. Public land or private? Guide or freelance? Are there zones in the state or is it all open to hunt? Thanks.
KyMike
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:17 pm

KyMike wrote:Lets hear some more details. Public land or private? Guide or freelance? Are there zones in the state or is it all open to hunt? Thanks.

It was all freelance. We mixed it up between WPA's and private land, but we mostly hunted WPA's. They are incredibly maintained up there and the ducks are plentiful. We staged out of Doland, SD and never traveled more than 50 miles for a hunt. Scouting is imperative to find the perfect situation for a limit. You can go to just about any pothole and shoot birds, but the key is finding a body of water holding birds with a couple resting ponds nearby so they can trade back and forth. To anyone who plans on going in the future it is well worth your time to buy a platte book. We spent hours some days just trying to locate the landowner. We had a book for Spinx county but in Clark county it was a crap shoot with no book. They sell them at the courthouses for like 25-30 bucks. We talked with a few local hunters and they said the migration wasnt even in full swing yet which is hard to believe considering the amount of birds we saw, but they said when the mallards show up its just silly how easy a limit is, especially in the cut corn and millet. We only field hunted one day with marginal success. While I enjoy shooting greenheads as much as anyone, I almost like that we went when we did because everyday was a mixed bag of just about everything. All in all a great trip. If anyone has question feel free to ask, im no expert but we spent 7 days there so I learned the ropes pretty well. Happy hunting!
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:04 am

No stories are true without pics....lol Your ky season is going to be boring now!
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:09 am

DeathCommander wrote:
KyMike wrote:Lets hear some more details. Public land or private? Guide or freelance? Are there zones in the state or is it all open to hunt? Thanks.

It was all freelance. We mixed it up between WPA's and private land, but we mostly hunted WPA's. They are incredibly maintained up there and the ducks are plentiful. We staged out of Doland, SD and never traveled more than 50 miles for a hunt. Scouting is imperative to find the perfect situation for a limit. You can go to just about any pothole and shoot birds, but the key is finding a body of water holding birds with a couple resting ponds nearby so they can trade back and forth. To anyone who plans on going in the future it is well worth your time to buy a platte book. We spent hours some days just trying to locate the landowner. We had a book for Spinx county but in Clark county it was a crap shoot with no book. They sell them at the courthouses for like 25-30 bucks. We talked with a few local hunters and they said the migration wasnt even in full swing yet which is hard to believe considering the amount of birds we saw, but they said when the mallards show up its just silly how easy a limit is, especially in the cut corn and millet. We only field hunted one day with marginal success. While I enjoy shooting greenheads as much as anyone, I almost like that we went when we did because everyday was a mixed bag of just about everything. All in all a great trip. If anyone has question feel free to ask, im no expert but we spent 7 days there so I learned the ropes pretty well. Happy hunting!

Why did you pick Doland SD?? Know someone in the area?? I'm headed to ND next fall for 10 days....Freelance hunting.
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:04 am

WildDuckman wrote:
DeathCommander wrote:

Why did you pick Doland SD?? Know someone in the area?? I'm headed to ND next fall for 10 days....Freelance hunting.

Yeah we have a contact up there that houses pheasant hunters that my buddy met snow goose hunting a few years back. He let us stay in his bunkhouse which was so nice as opposed to staying in a hotel where you have to lock things up every night. Not to mention the dog and all its needs.

Pictures coming soon I have to downsize them..
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:14 am

Here a a few, more to come..
Attachments
pintails-sunflower.jpg
Me-limit.jpg
Josh-Swan.jpg
day1.jpg
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:22 am

a few more..
Attachments
pennies.jpg
ducks.jpg
days take.jpg
Widgeon.jpg
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:28 am

last 2
Attachments
band.jpg
Final day.jpg
The band off the bull sprig
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Nice, you've got me ready to leave today!
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby feetdownky » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:23 pm

I bet that swan made a massive splash.
About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.
Ernest Hemingway
feetdownky
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Nice!! I'd love to have a mixed bag like that. Its nice for a big trip to have a good payoff too. I've got a good place on wisconsin-minnesota line I can go. Refuge one farm over and nobody hunts there, but never found the time to make a trip. Maybe I should try harder to venture out of central KY.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby KyMike » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:30 pm

So do I have this straight, there are WMA open to anyone and the platts book is used to find the owners of the land you want to hunt to get permission. Is there also PLOTS land? (Private Land Open to Sportsmen, land that the state leases for public use like hunting). Can you apply for out of state licenses as a group? You've sparked my interest. Definitely a sweet mixed bag
KyMike
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:34 pm

That's awesome. We are headed to Wisconsin the week before our ky season comes in for a weekend hunt. My brother lives there and just got into duck hunting after a trip down here to hunt with us last winter. He hasn't had much luck but is slowly picking up some private spots and it's tough to learn on your own so we are going up to see if we can help him out and get us another weekend of hunting in. Hoping we have some luck but not expecting anything like this.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Me and some buddies are headed to Wisconsin tomorrow afternoon.
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2014 / 2015 Season

KY:
Canadas:
Snows:
Ducks:
WI
Geese:
Ducks:

KyFowl20
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:51 pm

KyMike wrote:So do I have this straight, there are WMA open to anyone and the platts book is used to find the owners of the land you want to hunt to get permission. Is there also PLOTS land? (Private Land Open to Sportsmen, land that the state leases for public use like hunting). Can you apply for out of state licenses as a group? You've sparked my interest. Definitely a sweet mixed bag

Im not sure on the Plots Land. The WPA's are 'Waterfowl Production Areas' that are open to all public. I did see some different signs up there for private/public coop kind of stuff but for us the WPA's were all we needed. Just caution to the wind, on the WPA's a lot of times the pothole or body of water itself is public, and there are public shore lines but pay attention to where the WPA fence lines are because there are places where its split right down the middle meaning one side of the water is public, and the other side private. Main thing is to scout the area the day before and be cognizant of the boundaries so your not hashing it out at 5am in the dark. Also, if your anything like our group, sit back and enjoy the view. If you are in the right spot, you will kill your limit if you want so be selective on the shots you take (dont drop a bird in the reeds you will never find it). There were times when big wads of birds would come in and land, LET THEM. Target the smaller groups so you dont educate the masses, plus we just enjoyed the pure beauty of hundreds/thousands of birds landing in the hole. Hopefully everyone is gearing up for the 28th! Snow next week hopefully we can get some birds down here this season.
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:27 am

based on your timing and how the Nodak hunt went you and I both missed the major push of mallards.

We shot alot of fowl and had a great time and looks like you did as well. Nodak still has more opportunities. if it's not posted you can hunt it, if it's posted call and ask and they usually say yes. we field hunted mainly, with 2 quick water hunts (when we first arrived in nodak we picked a random pothole on google earth and went, last day hunted a pothole and small spread so we didnt have to put a huge field spread out and could sleep in later)
teamoutlaw
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting