Duck Hunting Forum banner

New KY Duck Hunter

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  teamoutlaw 
#1 ·
Hello all, my name is James. Just wanted to introduce myself. Not too new at Duck hunting, chased some divers out in the Outer Banks NC a few times. But now I'm stationed here in NC and I'm going into a whole new style of finding ducks so I'll just creep around and read the forums for some advice. Again just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

James

#2 ·
:welcome: KY can be good at times, just gota learn your areas well and be prepared to compete. I love the obx, been there several times on vaca. Done a lot of fishing there, but have yet to make it down to hunt the sound. What area of ky are you in?

#3 ·
I'm over here at fort campbell near hopkinsville. Gonna try to do some scouting near lake barkley this weekend. I was gonna call the dnr and ask but I may as well ask here, can you hunt from the shore at lbl or do you have to have drawn one of the blind locations?

My wife and I rented a boat in ocracoke this past spring and fished in te sound and had a good time. Mainly a bunch of pin fish and some dogfish but we caught a few specs though.

Tried doing some trout fishing near casey creek here and did pretty well. Overall we love the area and hope we can get some ducks this winter.

#4 ·
On Barkley you can hunt anywhere as long as it is 200 yards from the nearest established blind or another hunting party. You also have to have the $25 hunting permit if you set foot on any LBL land. On Kentucky, you can hunt anywhere as long as you are 100 yards from the next hunting party (no blind drawing; first come first serve) and if you step foot on any LBL land you have to have the same $25 hunting permit. Good luck man.
Chris

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll get my permit tomorrow and try to scout this weekend. Those are some nice fish. My wife was never a fan of mackerel. Said they were too oily so we never chased them. Mainly blues and we kept the occasional redfish in slot. My wife caught a 1 and a half pound pompano and I will have to say that was one of the best eating fishes you can best find.

Honestly I can't catch many fish to save my life. I can pull a rainbow out of stream better than most but bass catfish etc. I can't catch them at all. It's embarrassing a South Carolina boy can't catch bass and we have just gotten lucky out towards the ocean.

Anyway thanks for the advice I appreciate it. Look forward to talking to you guys during the season.

James.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.