Hunting Spots

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Hunting Spots

Postby quackstacker » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:44 pm

I know everyone is never tells their secert hunting spot. But what are some places that everyone knows about and still seams to be a pretty good place to go? Remember we are all friends. ( I'll go first. Cedar Creek and Taylorsville)
My lab is smarter than your honor student!
quackstacker
hunter

really

Postby Viewsat » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:59 pm

Bring some of your friends to arkansas and split the gas bill !Once ya get to memphis your in the flyaway zone ;)
Viewsat
Newb

Postby DUCK HUNTER123 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:13 am

anywhere near the dam around Foster,Ky
DUCK HUNTER123
hunter

Postby TNT » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:18 pm

:thumbsdown: TAYLORSVILLE!!! you have to be kidding me, I thought we are all friends in here :rofl: . I have lived here for years and it sucks. The only consistant spots nere me are the OHIO & KENTUCKY rivers and they are not good all the time. Let's face it fellas this part of kentucky is just not that good.
Try CENTRAL CITY (peabody coal mines) it's decent for this area. What area are you from or county I know some prety good spots you may want to try.
Put in for the blind draws at HENDERSON & SWAN LAKE & BALLARD (the last two being the best) :thumbsup:
Lead to little, get a cripple. Lead to much, no such luck. Lead just right, duck for dinner tonight.
TNT
hunter

Postby dixieduckslayer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:27 am

you cant actually hunt swan lake, you can hunt swan lake unit, which is close to swan lake, which is on Boatwright WMA, where i do all my hunting, if you dont mind coming to the far western part of the state you will do some good, ballard cost a little money but boatwright (or barlow as we call it round here) is free, and boy it is something else when the river gets out......FREE FOR ALL, newhere, it is so awesome, just cant ancor in a field, for some reason
Dixie Duck Slayers....Kentucky's Elite Duck Hunting Team
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Postby TNT » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:22 pm

Hey BOONE
Me and my buddies want to hunt down there real bad but always wonderd what equipment I need to bring. How many decoys? What size boat can it acomadate? We have both sneeke boats and 16' john. Can you get a boat in the lakes? All I have seen are maps. Is it true they have a drawing each morning for the lakes? :help: Getting skunked on a long trip isn't very cheep and very disheartning
Lead to little, get a cripple. Lead to much, no such luck. Lead just right, duck for dinner tonight.
TNT
hunter

Postby big_country » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:55 pm

I just curious about boatwright (barlow), can you only hunt out of the blinds? Or can you hunt any of it, besides the refuge of course? I've never been there before.
Dam Ducks
big_country
hunter

Postby dixieduckslayer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:55 am

first of all prolly 2-3 dozen dekes, would be fine, prolly dont need that much, and yes they do draw for the lakes, but i have never seen nebody that wanted to hunt on one of the lake not get to hunt, may not be on the lake you wanted but you will get to hunt, if you dont want to bother with a boat, (16 foot is PERFECT) you can always hunt pits or blinds, they are so many of them it not even funny, either way, boat or not, it would be a great time, if i can help you anymore just let me know
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Postby TNT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:13 pm

THANX BOONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

this will help a great deal.

Try Kaler Bottoms. I only got to hunt it once before I went through the big D. When I went I seen plenty of birds (wade in only or sneek boat on wheels)
TNT
hunter

Postby dixieduckslayer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:59 pm

ya i live bout 15 min from khaler bottoms, from what i hear it is only good for woodies, but im not goin to complain, i best best is the lake or barlow
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:55 pm

boone u r crazy! if u hunt flat or buck that is the definition of public duck hunting. some sky bustin and callin competitions take place every morning lol. flat is a great duck spots if u dont have a bunch of idiots around sky busting. u need a nice spread and good concealment to help compete. i personally killed out 4 times on flat last year, including an opening day where i drew #1 lol. Beaver damn is good too and only 1 boat can be on it. you cant always count on backwater but we do have some nice pits and some crappy ones u could draw for daily in barlow. less hunting pressure in the pits.

ky lake is very poor unless it is opening week. or really damn cold. the rivers hold some birds but alot are usually skattered out. alot of divers at times if u are into that. local geese tend to hang all over it. and u can shoot the crap out of coots any day there lol.

kaler bottoms would only be good when the actual clarksriver is flooded out. and then u would need a boat because it gets so damn deep.

clarksriver refuge has some blinds but u would of needed to put in for the draw unless u went to blizzard pond which has been a hot spot for me a couple of times. but u have to walk and it seems like a mile till u get there.

mississipi river boarding the ballard co. would be good because alot of birds trade from missouri and ten mile pond to ballard or from horseshoe lake in illinois to ballard. they trade the tri state area alot.

if i can help u guys out any more then that let me know.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby dixieduckslayer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:25 pm

team outlaw what kinda name is that???? DDS is a much better team name......lol......... i know barlow is awesome, and dont worry the Dixie Duck Slayers will be down there this year to show you how its done..... :lol:
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting