Central kentucky rivers/creeks

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Central kentucky rivers/creeks

Postby Duckslayer920 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:20 pm

Hey guys.
Ive always hunted geese in corn fields but am lookin to do a little creek huntin this year for ducks. Anyone hunt Elkhorn or the lickin river? If so, where and how?
thanks
Duckslayer920
account suspended for advertising/promo

Postby Duckslayer920 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:19 am

theres got to be somebody that hunts these creeks
Duckslayer920

Postby DUCK HUNTER123 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:05 pm

hey duckslayer

i too have been looking into hunting the licking river, but i havnt seen much action going in the area, i have been looking in the pendlton county area, what have u been seeing, i figured for now i will stick with the ohio r. and some back waters
DUCK HUNTER123
hunter

Postby willis1 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:14 pm

hey guys,
i hunted central ky from the late 80s until 2001. Elkhorn creek is great in the late season when everything else is locked up. I lanched @ the campground off of 127 (norht of Frankfort ) and usually went out to the ky river or if the creek was up enough i would set up adjacent to the fish hatchery.
If you don't mind hitting the road the Ohio river can offer some of the best duck and goose hunting you could ask for. I make my living fishing and hunting now and have hunted up and down the mississippi flyway. the mighty ohio can be as good as anyplace south of the canada border.
we would cross the river in maysville and head west to eagle creek boat luanch, once in the water head back east south east across the river to a creek point. i hunted as far back as cuold in the creek until it locked up or goose season opened.
I can't think of any place i'd rather hunt when everything locked up!
Let me know how you guys make out.
"Ducks are wild becuase they have to be, We are wild becuase we prefer to be."
- Jack Miner
willis1
hunter

Postby Duckslayer920 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:52 pm

Hey duck hunter what parts of licking did you hunt? I have been talkin to a guy about it and am thinkin of goin up there opening weekend. He showed me some spots north of salt lick and said hes been jumpin tons of mallards and woodies while fishin. Unless I find another spot Ill probably end up there. This is my first season on the creeks so I dont really have any other place to go.
Duckslayer920

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:31 am

ole blaine finally parted with the fields and is goin water swatin, blaine why dont you come down to NC for some hunting :thumbsup:
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby Duckslayer920 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:57 am

Well yea what the heck else am I gonna do for those ten days duck seasons in but goose aint. And na, thanks for the offer but Id like to kill some ducks lol Plus, i got a sweet spot opening weekend. And my boat blinds almost done :wink:
Duckslayer920

Postby DUCK HUNTER123 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:53 am

hey slayer

i have only looked in a few spot around the town of falmouth, and have asked some friend that live on the licking if there are seeing any ducks, i havent scouted it very hard because of the time of year, and i have been seeing some action on the ohio r. If ur around the area let me know and we could hook up,i have a boat and we could go up and down the river, its pretty shallow but we could find the birds. where ru located.
DUCK HUNTER123
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:58 am

blaine you ever tried jump shooting em, folks down here do it a lot in the rivers. good luck
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby Duckslayer920 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:35 pm

Duck hunter, Im located in the Nicholasville/Lexington area. Hunted the lickin today. No luck. Didnt get to go to the spot I had hoped though. motor broke down. Might hunt cedar creek tomorrow. You hunt the ohio yet?
American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God.
Duckslayer920

Postby DUCK HUNTER123 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:50 am

Hey slayer

That sucks starting off the year like that, I went out opening morning and did pretty good for being the first of the year. we killed 4 mallards and 1 ring neck. Must have seen 100 birds by 8 oclock. Not bad for the for the 1st hunt of the year. Im going again sunday, with this cold front the birds should really be moving.
DUCK HUNTER123
hunter

Postby mwc » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Duck slayer,

I was down to Cedar Creek last Saturday. Nothing to show for it. If you like coots you could limit out. I did see a group of about ten mallards come in as I was heading to the dock. If I can't get on any ponds closer to the house I will be heading back down sometime soon to give it another try.

Good luck.
mwc
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting