Hunting in ballard

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Hunting in ballard

Postby Booney3721 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:48 pm

me and my buddy are packing up from KY lake and are wanting to hunt Ballard county...Any ideas where we need to hunt at? I was thinking boatwright but i dunno. Also do u have to be drawn to hunt in ballard county WMA? just curious ive never hunted ballard county so i was j/w.
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:05 pm

Also were lloking for ather open water or flooded timber that isnt really like high water like up to your knees prefable. i dnno how the area is i dunno where to hunt nor do i know what it looks like. We mainly like ot hunt open water but ya
Booney3721
hunter

Postby Ramsey84 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:50 pm

If you are wanting to hunt from a blind you have to draw in at both Ballard and Boatwright. At Ballard that is all they have, and you draw a pill to see what blind you will get. At Boatwright you draw in for a blind, then get to choose which blind you get from what is remaining. Also, at Boatwright they have boat in and walk in areas, so you can pretty well always get in, not the case at Ballard.
Ramsey84
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:05 pm

Make sure you only have 25 shells.
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:06 pm

what about ballard thought are you allowed to hunt it with out having been drawn and also in boatwright can you hunt the lakes like long lake or somthing like that?
Booney3721
hunter

Postby mcodrake » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:27 pm

ballard is a draw,if you don't get drawed you don't hunt.barlow lakes are draw and they have some walk in.
mcodrake
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:49 pm

so what would be my best chance of doing then?
Booney3721
hunter

Postby kyduck » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Well...it depends. Ballard, you can sign in for standby and see if you get drawn--it's been pretty busy lately. You might get drawn, you might not. Keep in mind there are two groups at ballard. Hunters who put in and get drawn for the computer lottery and then standby. The standby has their own drawing. :thumbsup:
Boatwright, I believe is first come, first serve. There are areas accessable by boat and or land. So that might be a good bet.
Good luck
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Postby FOWLER267 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:25 pm

I wouls assume that the walkin is a bit deep right now with the river. All of boatwright is a draw EXCEPT the walkin but it can get crowded some days.
FOWLER267
hunter

Postby duckman34 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 am

FOWLER267 wrote:I wouls assume that the walkin is a bit deep right now with the river. All of boatwright is a draw EXCEPT the walkin but it can get crowded some days.
There has been as many as 125 people show up at boatwright.So i would suggest taking a small boat to go to the walk in.I talked to the refuge wednesday and they still dont have water at all the blinds.
duckman34
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:21 am

ah i hunted here by my house we decided the drive was too long for us lol but we did good this morning. Killed 9 ducks myself and 2 geese. Altogether we killed 6 geese and 18 ducks so not a bad morning especially with what we did. I read in a Field and Stream magazine where you take a blue tarp and lie it down on the gorun and you cut some slitsi nto the tarp and u place decoys on the slits and have a few full bodies next to the tarp and place a few geese around it and we pulles up fomr grass and corn stalks in a few of the slits ot make it even more livelyier. Not bad you had to shoot em right before they landed but it worked. Hunting LBL in the morning though i have osme geese over there that have been landing in the back of the bay i hunt for the past few morningi h unted it i havent brought any goose deocys and they come back there and have their wings cupped ready to land and flair up at the fact of no goose decoys
Booney3721
hunter

Postby big_country » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:53 pm

They flared on your group or a mojo, not on the fact there were no goose decoys.

What kinda ducks you shooting?
Dam Ducks
big_country
hunter

Re: Hunting in ballard

Postby Prowland » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:25 pm

i am planning on hunting ky lake next year with some of my friends and i was wondering if there was a good place were you could kill ducks besides divers ive hunted on it this year and the only thing we have killed is dives and i wanted to find a place that had some pottential for mallards or anything like that.
Prowland
Newb

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting