Little guidance for a fellow?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Little guidance for a fellow?

Postby glenndownen » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:38 pm

Hey yall,

Long time florida duck hunter that has always wanted to try out lousiana..

Looking to organize a trip with some buddies to come over to Lousiana and am hoping somebody could help me out with some ideas of public access areas to check out for some serious duck chasing.

Thanks in advance..
:thumbsup:
Glenn
glenndownen
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:53 pm

Welcome, If you are looking for public spots, you would propably be looking farther south than here. There are a number of public areas around north louisiana but nothing you can just drive up and see. As far as south louisiana goes Im not sure if this will be a good year to make a trip or not. Lots of the marsh vegetation got killed by all the salt water being dumped on it. Maybe some of these guys from south la will chime in and give you some more info.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby glenndownen » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:46 am

I have heard from a number of people that it would be safer to head a bit more north in Louisiana due to the salt water killing all the duck food. I have read a little about Catahoula and heard it mentioned a lot as a public place to check out.. I have checked out the arial photos of the area. Is it a pretty heavily hunted area?

Northern LA is probably where we would be heading towards anyways.. Ideas?
glenndownen
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:06 pm

EXTREMELY, I have been a couple times both times crowded. I dont go back.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

LA hunting

Postby marsh1buster » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:10 am

I finnally was able to make a trip yesterday. I decided to stay close to home and hunt in Slidell (Pearl River WMA). I returned home with 5 ducks and plenty of missed opportunities for a full limit. I talked with several people at the boat launch, they all had about the same story. Scouting is a must, some places have grass some don't. Also if you choose to hunt here a good map of the area (aerial) and a GPS are highly recomended!! It's easy to get turned around out there, it's all marsh and there are very few landmarks since the storm. :salude:
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/inde ... rerid=6847
PRETA--People for the Reasonably Ethical Treatment of Animals

If you love animals but don't lose sleep over whether a fish has feelings, this group's for you!
marsh1buster
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting