Opener Bust

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Opener Bust

Postby jlemie1 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:23 pm

I have a spot in the West Zone I haven't been to in years, but decided to try it Saturday morning. I went in Friday to check it out and it was pretty grown up with grass and brush. I guess it dried up for a while but has water now. Anyway, I drove around it in circles knocking all the dead stuff down. It opened it up some but there is still some trash. There is also some duck weed that I guess was trapped by the vegetation. We had a really slow morning Saturday, which didn't surprise me too much, but there were tons of shots around us all morning. I believe if the water comes up a little it'll help with the trash, but do you guys think it will do better once it has sat opened up for a while?

jlemie1
hunter

Re: Opener Bust

Postby Toledo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:54 am

Looks pretty promising if you are in an area that holds birds. Pretty suprised it didnt have some woodies visit it for yall.

Even if the water doesn't come up backwater holes like that can really turn on late season due to pair bonding and hunting pressure.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Location, Location, Location. Could look amazing and if the birds arent there.... move. Id keep my eye on it but move around. U see birds on it later, hunt it. Also might wanna try a mojo or a shaker in there.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Cupped Wangs » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:13 am

Reminds me a lot of what one of our holes looks like early season....low (if any) water and overgrowth. Mid-to-Late season it becomes one of our honey holes.

The latest report for first split is that its dried up. Hopefully rains early next week will remedy that situation so second split will be a go opening weekend.
Cupped Wangs
hunter

Postby jlemie1 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Thanks guys. I haven't had a chance to get back out there yet but hopefully will soon. Good luck to all of you.
jlemie1
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting