biloxi marsh

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

biloxi marsh

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Hey guys. I am starting to look into getting a trip put together for next year. I originally was looking at Venice area cuz up until recently we left our boat over there every year for tuna season and came a handful of times each year. But the more I think about it the more I think I am not willing to hit the river before daylight in my little boat. Someone recommended Biloxi WMA and from what I've been able to research it would be a little more practical for my setup, plus it sounds like it offers some great fishing for a cast and blast as well. Anyway, one of my concerns is still whether I have the right boat to try and do this deal. I have a 16ft riveted jon boat with the majority of the boat decked in diamond plate. I use it here on the coast to do a lot of floundering and some flats fishing at our place on the coast, but for duck season I pulled the console and outboard (30hp) and put on a 9 HP longtail for the lakes I hunt around here. My problem is the 9 horse isn't too quick with 3 people and gear (so scouting 40k acres would take a week alone lol), and the outboard may not get me where the ducks are. Any suggestions on which would work best, or if its even in the cards with this setup. I am willing to push pole, wade, etc with the outboard if that would get me in the holes that the outboard wouldn't get me. But would I be pushpoling for a mile? Lol. Anyway, any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :beer:
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Re: biloxi marsh

Postby dog walker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 am

A 9hp longtail will not cut it. I have several friends that only use outboards with pirogues to hunt Biloxi. Hunting and fishing can be very good there.
dog walker
hunter

Postby turtlela » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:25 pm

That 30 hp outboard is perfect for that area. I would recommend getting a good map, launch at breton sound marina and head down bayou loutre. Because there isn't a ton of pressure out there you really need to scout to whack them. I know quite a few guys don't leave the launch till 8-9am and look for large concentrations of birds. Once you find them set up. You can shoot limits out there from 11-2:00pm. The majority of ducks will be grey ducks which isn't a bad thing. I would concentrate on ponds north of muscle bay which is a good run, but the ducks are thick. May take you 45 minutes to get there with a 30hp. Also areas north of bay musclelini just off bayou st malo. Less ducks there, but it is a shorter run around 30 minutes. Scout, scout, scout and that area is just as good as many leases. Also the fishing is fantastic!
turtlela
hunter

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Awesome fellas. Thanks for the good info. Someone I talked to thought it might be do-able to push pole my aluminum boat rather than haul a pirouge..does that sound feasible? I wouldn't mind towing one along if it was a must have, but I have more gear than I know what to do with as it is lol. I have a blind on my boat so I would hunt out of it with ease if I could get where I need to be. And to the comment about mostly gadwalls...thats bout as good as shootin big fat greenheads to N. Floridians :lol3: . Thanks again guys. Anybody else feel free to add.
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Postby turtlela » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:40 am

You can hunt out of your boat. My only concern would be hunting out of a boat will only work the first couple weekends of the second split. After that I would take the blind down, put a pirogue in the boat and scout. I bought two avery marsh seats that work great. You can really get low in the marsh grass and the greys don't stand a chance. They will flare on fast grass blinds afterwhile. Also cut the calling down out there to light quacks, grey duck call if you have one, or whistle. Try to use predominently grey ducks, mallard hen, coots, and teal dekes out there. By the way, have spotted a few pintail out there lately. Got a pintail hen opening weekend. Also heard a few greenheads have been taken out there this year.
turtlela
hunter

Postby creolicious » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:39 am

I'm currently hunting in the Caernarvon and Spanish Lake areas. Both spots are private land and we've seen a sharp decline in ducks since opening weekend. I think I am going to try some Biloxi marsh hunting to open up my options. I def. like the idea of not leaving the launch until 8 or 9...haha. I'll be sure to share whatever info I come up with as I start scouting and hunting this area. So it seems like the birds are getting weary of boat blinds already huh ?
creolicious
Newb

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Great man. I would love to hear any general info you think may be helpful after going out there and seeing it first hand. Shoot me a PM if need be. Great info so far guys. Keep it comin if anybody thinks of somethin else that may be beneficial.
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Postby dog walker » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:46 pm

creolicious wrote:I'm currently hunting in the Caernarvon and Spanish Lake areas. Both spots are private land and we've seen a sharp decline in ducks since opening weekend. I think I am going to try some Biloxi marsh hunting to open up my options. I def. like the idea of not leaving the launch until 8 or 9...haha. I'll be sure to share whatever info I come up with as I start scouting and hunting this area. So it seems like the birds are getting weary of boat blinds already huh ?

It happens every year,the pressure gets hot and the birds move to the outside. That's the thing about Biloxi it's so big there is a lot less pressure.

Before Katrina we made many late morning hunts in Caernarvon. The big ducks flew and decoyed much better after 8:30. That was also when the whole area held big ducks all season long.
dog walker
hunter

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 am

Bringin this back to the top in hopes of finalizing some info in order to make the trip this year. Here is the update. I now have a 23 surface drive on my 16x36 jon which I completely gutted and remoldeled. Here is my concern. The boat is really too small to load up a pirouge or two once I get 3 guys and gear in it. Is this boat going to be too big to get up in the small ponds/marsh and hunt out of? I am not used to hunting in the marsh and it will be a new experience for me. I feel like a have the gear and enough general knowledge to make it worth doin, but the tides are the only thing that I truly do not know what to expect. In doing my research almost everything mentions the strong north wind drying up an area. I'm sure this seems like a no brainer to those who deal with it every day, and I may be more concerned than I should be, but what kind of things do I need to watch for? Again, my boat is small and will run shallow but I don't want to end up stuck waiting 6 hrs for the water to rise either. So basically is it a deal where if its a north wind you are going to be religated to big water? And which is more of a concern, wind or tide? I hope that makes sense. I just want to be prepared and know what to look for when I get out there.

Thanks for any help fellas.
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Postby Louisiana Duck Slayer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:35 am

I might be able to help since I hunt fairly close to that area. In the 16 or so years out there, we’ve gotten STUCK maybe 2 or 3 times. And that was only after 4 or 5 days of a persistent W - N/W wind. Unless we have a REALLY strong cold front, the wind usually switches around to the East or Southeast after 2 or 3 days so it’s not really long enough to drain the area completely. Like someone else mentioned, our main shoot is Grey Ducks so setting up in big ponds is safe and can be very productive. Don’t be too quick to leave either. It’s been our experience that once it starts warming up and people start running around looking for fish, they keep the ducks flying. Sometimes our best shooting starts after 9am. And in my opinion, you have a good enough boat for that area. Good luck.
Louisiana Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby duckman31822 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:17 pm

you will be fine.. esp with a mud motor.. im doing it with an outboard this year. be prepared for a long ride to the wma.. and cannot stress how important a good gps is.. we will be down a few days after Christmas
duckman31822
hunter

Postby Duckillr » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:09 am

I have been hunting the Biloxi marsh for years. It is great if you scout. Just pay attention to the tide charts and the wind. Know if the water you are in is going to fall or if it is going to rise while you are hunting. North and West winds blow water out, South and East winds blow water in. I've seen a strong east wind make the water rise, even during a falling tide and a strong north wind cause water to drop during a rising tide. You should be fine with your mud motor. Biloxi has the least presure of all the WMA's I have hunted, and is my favorite place to hunt. To tell you the truth, not enough people hunt it. More hunters would keep the birds moving better.
Duckillr
Newb

Postby dog walker » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:39 am

The wax never had the pressure it has now. If people keep posting about it there is the possibility it can happen down there also.
dog walker
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting