flying north

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

flying north

Postby alans » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Has anybody else noticed the majority of the high flyers are heading north? Even when its a hard north wind. My guess is they are heading to Arkansas, but according to reports Arkansas is not doing much. I hunt on turkey creek lake in northeast Louisiana. I'm seen hundreds heading north.
alans
hunter

Re: flying north

Postby tb44 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:45 pm

saw several groups of geese heading north about 2 weeks ago....but then the past few days 4 groups all heading south?
tb44
hunter

Postby alans » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:01 pm

I've talked to quite a few people around here and we are all scratching our heads. Im guessing they were shot at on the wma a couple miles away and gettin the Hell out of dodge lol.
alans
hunter

Postby Duck Enticer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Strange flight paths.....Geese will fly into a wind all day. It is strange, but on a North wind they will go and go North during the day....at the end of the day however they will fly with the wind back to the roost. Seen em do it.

I got to think ducks go offshore on a North wind. Seen a lot of them offshore a day after a strong North wind. South wind is killer for duck hunting in the marsh. Give me an overcast 10-15 mph Southwest wind for duck hunting in the marsh. If I go back to the Wax again it will be on a day after a good cold front when the North wind is approaching 15-20 and the tide is dead low.
Negrodamus knows!
Duck Enticer
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:35 am

Do every time you leave your house and turn on a road northbound do your neighbors say "oh there goes alans, headed to Canada". Ducks fly up and down lakes, and back and forth to different areas. Doesnt necessarily mean they are flying back north. Probably a good thing, it probably means they've been in the area a while. They're flying high cause you gonna shoot at them if they fly low.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby alans » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:53 pm

They are doing it on a hard north wind when it should be new ducks. I'm hunted several different places and noticed it
alans
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting