Any advice to a new hunter?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Postby nick_vargo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi there,

I'm brand new to Duck hunting and wanted to get some insight from people on how to start hunting on my own. I have gone twice now with a few friends and love it! I've tried looking at leases and such but no luck so far. Any help with equipment or just how to get started into it would be awesome! I live in Bossier City but I go to school in Monroe for most of the year.
nick_vargo
Newb

Re: Any advice to a new hunter?

Postby kb9zgb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:34 am

oh lots of things to add here. mostly read stuff learn from what other people do good and bad. The most important thing is who you hunt with. Are They Ok ? or just going for the ride ?. If you can find some one to teach you stuff maybe practice on the off season with. things like calling and recognizing Bird Behavior and identifying birds. scouting areas. stuff like this adds up. One thing I do often and it has worked well for me is to offer the land owner a few hours work in exchange for a few hours of hunting. Be thoughtful and clean up stuff pick up empty pop cans and shot gun shells. promote yourself in a positive way. If they say no. thats ok ask if they know anyone around that may let you Hunt. All it takes is one butt to screw up a possible hunting area most of the time that ****** has been there already. Work towards fixing that.
kb9zgb
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:47 am

Best way to learn is by going with someone who knows what they are doing and is willing to teach you. There is a lot to learn just to become successful, and even then, the learning is just starting.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby mallardman2256 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:58 pm

dont know much about the shreveport area. im in monroe. hunted this area all my life. i go to school here too. the places to hunt are out there. there is tons of public land around the area you just have to spend time scouting. that is the key. if you jump some birds there then theres a chance you may get to shoot a bit. there are places where you may need a boat or a fourwheeler but there is some good walk in action to if you look a bit. i have a couple of places i walk in and kill. it takes time. i still add new holes every year and they begin to add up after a while. it takes time.
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby nick_vargo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:44 pm

mallardman2256 wrote:dont know much about the shreveport area. im in monroe. hunted this area all my life. i go to school here too. the places to hunt are out there. there is tons of public land around the area you just have to spend time scouting. that is the key. if you jump some birds there then theres a chance you may get to shoot a bit. there are places where you may need a boat or a fourwheeler but there is some good walk in action to if you look a bit. i have a couple of places i walk in and kill. it takes time. i still add new holes every year and they begin to add up after a while. it takes time.

Really? I go to school in Monroe as well!
nick_vargo
Newb

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm in your area. Went to school in Ruston and live in Shreveport now. Best way for you to hunt is by staying adaptable. Get you a jon boat and some waders. Get a couple dozen decoys. When I was in school I hunted all the lakes and rivers here and in Ruston. Dont lock yourself down to one spot like a lease. Do your homework and follow the ducks. A lease is hard to find. I'm on one now that I havent even hunted this year. Spend that time looking for spots instead of a lease. Get you some buddies and go shoot em right in their duck ***.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby nick_vargo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Any advice on where to find spots my own (where I wont get in trouble!) ? I know Bodcau is public so I could scout out some spots there.
nick_vargo
Newb

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:11 pm

BodcAu is a WMA, you will need a permit. Public waters are bisteneau, dorcheat, red river, Toledo bend, caddo lake, clear lake, just to name a few.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting