Catahoula

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Catahoula

Postby Slimwaters » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Just a quick question. I was planning on going on a guided hunt down on Catahoula, and have just heard that people dont take kind to outsiders coming down there. Just wondering if this was true, and any pro tips for a fellow duck hunter?
Slimwaters
Newb

Re: Catahoula

Postby Toledo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Fact #1- the locals are a bunch of Arse-hole squatters that act like they own the world.

Fact #2- there are so many people hunting that mud puddle that there is no way to keep track of who is who and what is what.

Lots of out of towners out there every day of the season. Find a spot, get in the middle of it, burn a blind, slash a tire, and have fun.
Toledo
hunter

Catahoula

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:18 am

Lol I have lived here my whole life and I don't hunt it just cause I don't wanna fight the yahoos.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:48 pm

I stay away. Although started hunting a hole this year that would give catahoula a run for their money.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Catahoula

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Blackjacks don't count grappler!! Lol... You wanna kill some real birds give me a holler! :-)
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Smackaduck wrote:Blackjacks don't count grappler!! Lol... You wanna kill some real birds give me a holler! :-)

Mallards son... Mallards! Only shoot those dang black jacks over there by you.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Catahoula

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:37 pm

Lol I saw the strap of yalls ringers. We were on the same wate killin gaddies an malliards!

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Catahoula

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Ok maybe we had a few ringers.... Lol

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Smackaduck wrote:Lol I saw the strap of yalls ringers. We were on the same wate killin gaddies an malliards!

oh thats definitely a jack hole. lol But I got more holes out there. We killin greys too on that lake. I know where your at and I know yall shootin them jacks too. lol. and the deeper it gets the more youre gonna get
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby metalworx » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:05 pm

Slimwaters wrote:Just a quick question. I was planning on going on a guided hunt down on Catahoula, and have just heard that people dont take kind to outsiders coming down there. Just wondering if this was true, and any pro tips for a fellow duck hunter?

if it is a guided hunt with one of the local guides then you wont have any issues at all, we hunt out there regularly without any issues, the water is on the rise at the moment so you will either have to have a floating blind or boat blind if you go on your own

you wont have as many issues as the word on the street seems to make it out to be, the main issue is when you try to build a permanent blind on the lake, seems someone claims every 2x4 post sticking up out there as a private spot, or their grandparents market hunted out there in the 50's so they own that piece of lake bed

but if you just go an hunt without trying to cause issues then you prolly wont have any run ins at all, if you are in someones blind and they show up just politely move on to another, but as of right now most of the perm blinds are only sticking out of water a foot or two and getting less every day
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting