Mississippi river and wind

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Postby Mdarl586 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:06 pm

I was planning on going to Venice for a couple days on Sunday and try my luck down at the wma. But with the forecasted winds I am concerned that it will be to rough to make it down there in a 17ft G3 with a 50hp? What do y'all think about the river with 20+ mph winds? Would I be better off just going to Biloxi wma since I won't have to travel so far down the Mississippi.
Mdarl586
Newb

Re: Mississippi river and wind

Postby kb9zgb » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:12 pm

well i stick to the lee ward side of the river if possible but if i see rolling white caps coming at me i know it"s going to be a long slow ride.
kb9zgb
hunter

Postby Captchaz » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:28 pm

I think you would be ok.. Just get on the side that is not as ruff.. But make sure to watch out for the ships and there big waves
Captchaz
hunter

Re: Mississippi river and wind

Postby Cajunwannabe » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:51 am

You might be okay on Sunday (fog permitting)....I can promise you that you don't want to be in the river with a 20 mph North wind on Monday. High North or South winds makes for a hair raising ride, I don't run less than a 24' boat and I still "pick my days". Wear your life jacket at all times, river is high and there is plenty of trash in it to hit too, even when it looks slick and calm. Good luck
Cajunwannabe
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting