du bash has started

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

du bash has started

Postby alans » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:26 pm

well it has started, was on the du migration map earlier and people have started the heated pond issue again. a guy on there from borderlonville, la says he has pics of them. im trying my best to post on there and send him my email. i honestly dont believe there is a such thing. it would cost entirely to much money. diesel, electricty, gas, butane, etc. they are all expensive. besides, why would du even want to screw over the south? if they were, why is the northern states money better than ours? people cant seem to comprehend that its a warm winter. when temps are in the sixties in missouri, the ducks are going to stay put. open water and plenty of food, why would they leave? if anybody on here has been on there and has got the pics please post on here or email me with them. i dont believe it until i see it.
alans
hunter

Re: du bash has started

Postby hogfan88 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:05 pm

All of the "expensive" stuff you mentioned is a tax write off for them.i know several people DU has done some stuff
For because they made an exceptional donation.
hogfan88
hunter

Postby alans » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:20 am

Yea, I know of the same thing happening close to my duck hole. I've heard of a bunch of land that got flooded for anheiser busch family. I hunt close to where kix brooks owns land and I know for a fact du built those ponds. Of course they will take care of the big wigs. That's where they get the big donations. I just don't believe in the heated pond issue until I see the proof. Not one word of heated ponds was mentioned on there last year and it was very cold
alans
hunter

Postby Underradar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:29 am

They can just pump from shallow wells. The water comes out of the ground at 85 degrees and heats the pond. Geothermal, low cost. Some wells flow without a pump - Artesian wells.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:43 pm

you think it's too expensive because for you it would be. It happens and it's a fact, though it is not widespread enough to have any impact on our season whatsoever.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby TensasBayou » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:36 am

Wow. Stupidity is apparently contagious and is hosted by ignorance. This is how Obama got elected.

1. DU is a Non-profit. It can not make a profit and thus pay taxes. Therefore it is mathematically impossble to record a tax expense(or "write off" to use your slang).

2. The US treasury could not buy enough, borrowing and using our future taxes, energy to "heat ponds" to affect a continental migration. Ground water is 56 degrees.
Hot springs occur naturally and those very very few that do, were in place before recorded human history.

3. Louisiana's December waterfowl survey was 2.4 Million birds, more than last year, a much colder winter with record snowfall.

This actually takes the cake from the clowns who pread the BS lies a few years ago about DU spreading corn in their projects. Once again, there is no entity, non-profit or governmen, that can afford to buy enough grain to affect a continent's bird migration involving 100million waterfowl. DU WANTS its memebers to have fruitful waterfowl seasons in the Southern States. So does the USFWS, and the State Agencies. DU's employees hunt among us. They are based in Memphis now instead of Illinois for a reason.
Some of the best mallard hunting i ever experienced was back when limits were 3 ducks and spinning wing decoys had not been introduced. It was just that those big dumb northern mallards came down in huge flocks because they had to. If anything has affected waterfowl patterns,it has been two things: precision level farming creating impoundments in the corn belt, and spinning wing decoys and longer seasons driving ducks more noctural because of trial and punishment responses by the birds.

Use your heads people.
TensasBayou
hunter

Postby locked up » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:46 am

Now Tensas, I'm gonna have to call you out - this is a DU bashing thread and there is no room for that type of common sense. We need more lies, rumors and half-truths... :yes:
locked up
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 pm

TensasBayou wrote:
1. DU is a Non-profit. It can not make a profit and thus pay taxes. Therefore it is mathematically impossble to record a tax expense(or "write off" to use your slang).

hogfan was referring to private parties, not DU. DU offers free consulting to anyone doing a water control project for waterfowl, private or public. Private parties take a tax exemption on these projects routinely, as they host hunts for clients on them.

Heated ponds do happen, but as you said, they are rare. And relatively expensive. Water movement/circulation is much more cost effective.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby Underradar » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:59 am

Everyone in Tensas Parish is on welfare, in one form or another. Groundwater is expelled from naturally flowing wells at about 85 degrees. Higher if the well is deeper. You can see it steaming out of the pipe. I don't know where that clown came up with 53 degrees.

I am not speaking of hot springs that occur naturally. I am talking about shallow wells drilled cheaply and cased with pvc. Duck magnets up north.

Underradar
hunter

Postby matt99 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Another member here and I have a lease close to a ducks unlimited refuge and they do very little if at all work there. 6 years ago they stopped planting the two planted ponds and I have seen no new work there. Either they devote all their money to the north or do not have the immense amount of extra funds to devote millions into each property they manage/own.

I'm leaning towards the latter.
matt99
hunter

Postby TensasBayou » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:55 am

This is high comedy:

DU is to blame for short stopping the mallard migration because of "cheap" 83 degree geothermal wells drilled by their donors on private land that those donors in turn take "write offs".
:lol:

it has nothing to do with the fact that there was no snow cover to speak of this year North of Arkansas and Tennessee, nor that the major rivers and reservoirs in the same direction never froze. :hammer:

We had the best season ever on our farm. But, the mallard mix was 1/3rd what is normally is of the aggregate bag, and 1/4th of the mallard mix for the 2008/09 season. Mallards are the most weather sensitive ducks. The rest migrate on photo period. And I personally believe our succes was due to Ducks Unlimiteds 75 years of preserving habitat and lobbying Congress on behalf of wetlands preservation, and oh yes, also because there was record water on the breeding grounds this year. :thumbsup:

i suppose Ducks Unlimited is to blame for all of the giant freshwater impoundments being built on the coast of Southwest Louisiana in recent years by private landowners to hold ducks ? :fingerhead:
TensasBayou
hunter

Postby Underradar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:08 am

I think you don't know jack about DU nor much else. Farm boy.

Underradar
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:13 am

These are my favorite threads. If anyone thinks DU, Delta, etc. all put together have the kind of reach to keep/feed millions of ducks you're crazy. How about the lack of rainfall in the south? How about the warm climates across the country? Just think of how many ponds and creeks and lakes you see just driving down the road holding ducks that DU has no part of. PPl want someone to blame. I think you should move to Canada or Illinois so you have nothing to complain about.
Farmers have larger fields, ponds, and dont forget ducks = $ now. They are no longer a nuisance. Most people want them on their land and are gonna try to keep them there. If you wanna blame somebody blame the popularity of the sport.

I support these groups more for the fact that they keep our sport going. They have lobbyists and friends in high places that protect waterfowl habitat and waterfowl hunting. Without them politicians get to run all over us. They play a large role in you even being able to own a shotgun and get to shoot a duck every year.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:01 am

All in All, some of boys can say what u want. DU aint worth a F%&k!!!, and thats a fact Jack :thumbsup: :grooving: :grooving: :clapping:
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:32 pm

Indawoods wrote:you think it's too expensive because for you it would be. It happens and it's a fact, though it is not widespread enough to have any impact on our season whatsoever.

I tend to believe that this is the case. It probably happens, but it would take a whole LOT of heated ponds to put any kind of a dent in the migration. It just helps the guys with the warm pond shoot ducks longer.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting