2012 Louisiana Waterfowl Hunter Survey

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

2012 Louisiana Waterfowl Hunter Survey

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:45 pm

LDWF is conducting another survey of Louisiana's waterfowl hunters asking for opinions on waterfowl hunting zones, season dates, youth hunting dates, and some questions on satisfaction with past zones/splits, satisfaction with the 2011/12 waterfowl season, and Catahoula Lake.

We put out a press release announcing the survey on Friday at:

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/35152

The proposed zone boundaries for the new 3-zone options will affect hunters primarily in southeast Louisiana around Lake Pontchartrain, in the lower Atchafalaya basin, and in northwest Louisiana. But regardless of region of the state, I'd still like to get as much feedback as possible, and one goal will be to link the season date preferences with the region where the respondent primarily hunts. I was confused by past survey data on zones/splits options until I realized that about 80% of Louisiana waterfowl hunters only hunt in 1 zone. So things that are important to me, like increasing hunting opportunity and regulatory flexibility which come with additional zones, aren't very important to the vast majority of our hunters. Season dates within each zone is FAR more important.

Like the 2010 Hunter Opinion survey, we are mailing surveys to randomly-selected hunters, AND we have web-enabled the survey so every interested hunter can participate. If you weren't selected to receive the mail-out survey, you can take the web-enabled survey (it's the exact same survey) at:

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/migratory-and-waterfowl

At that link, you can not only find the survey, but there is also reference material that explains what we are proposing. There is a link to a power-point presentation that outlines the considerations in making decisions about zones, splits, and season dates, as well as results from past surveys. There is also a link to the maps of our current 2-zone system and 2 new 3-zone options along with precise descriptions of the zone boundaries and what we are trying to accomplish with those changes.

Agree or disagree with the proposals, I'd like to hear from you. I won't be collecting responses from website postings or e-mails this time like I did in July 2011. That was too overwhelming and time consuming. I still welcome any of your comments, but please participate with the mail-out (if selected) or on-line surveys so I can get some idea of predominant opinions in each region of the state.

Thanks very much,

Larry Reynolds
LDWF Waterfowl Study Leader
Lreynolds
hunter

Re: 2012 Louisiana Waterfowl Hunter Survey

Postby dog walker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:26 pm

All ready taken care of.

Guys we need to give them some input on this. Now is your chance to be heard or atleast voice your opinion. Mr Reynolds has been trying to get this survey out there. I've seen it posted on other sites. He is doing his part getting out there please do yours and participate.

Thanks again Larry for making this available to us.
dog walker
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:46 pm

are the mail out surveys already out?

I'll fill out the online survey, but would hate to get the mail out and and risk double dipping.

any guidance?
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:16 pm

If there were still mail-out surveys to go out, the last of them went out today. So, I guess some selected hunters might not get them until Wednesday at the latest. My advice would be to definitely fill out an return the mail-out survey even if you have already done the internet survey; the mail-out survey is the most representative data and provides the standard by which we evaluate the internet survey.

The key thing we found from the 2010 survey (and other researchers are finding similar things), is that for questions related to hunting activity ........ days hunted, ducks killed, money spent, license bought, shotguns owned, etc. ........ the answers we get from the mail-out and internet surveys are very different. Hunters that participate in internet surveys are the most dedicated, active, and successful. HOWEVER for questions related to attitudes ....... satisfaction with hunting, opinions on regulations, zones/splits options, etc. ...... we got very similar answers from the 2 very different samples. If that continues to be true, then we gain confidence in internet survey methods, but it is really important to have the mail-out survey results to validate that is true.

So please, participate in the mail-out survey if selected. The cost of not doing that outweighs the cost of double-dipping.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:09 pm

10 -4. :thumbsup:
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:32 pm

i was really hurt when attended the meeting here in Lake Charles and i was the only duck hunter there
clemaire2
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:45 pm

That probably speaks to the general satisfaction of folks in our area with the status quo.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting