Duck id. Warning, bad pic.

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Duck id. Warning, bad pic.

Postby darrel from meraux » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:56 am

Hey guys, years ago (before I knew foreign ducks as well as I do now) I killed a duck that I was unsure what it was. This duck resembled a larger version of a bufflehead but I knew it wasn't. I distinctly remember the bill resembling a snow goose's bill but itwas all black and felt thicker than other ducks iv killed. For the most part the duck didnt have any color mostly black gray and white. For years I wondered what kind of duck this was but thought I'd never know. Recently while going through some old pics I came across some pice of this exact hunt. I looked and looked and figured the duck was either left out of the pic or burriedunder others. Well, I might be wrong. I found a duck seperated from the others which were in a pile. This makes sence it was there because a few people looked at it trying to make an id. Now im not sure if this even is the same duck im talking about but heres why I think it is. The duck obviously is a diver. It has little color and it has yellow"ish" feet. (like a hooded mergansers). This drastically reduces the posibilaties of what it could be to a scooter, hoodie, harlequin, or goldeneye. Judging by the foot color in the pic being yellow. This eliminates the bufflehead. I know it wasnt a Hoodie because of the bill so this relly brings me to believe it was a goldeneye hen or juvenille drake. Only problem is im as far south east in louisiana as you can go. We never see them down here and I only known one person who has actually killed one. Im posting up a pic but Im warning you, the pic is bad. Its a pic of a pic and you cant see the bill at all but maby someone who kills them frequently can spot something and help me make an Id Or someone with some computer knowledge can lighten it up and help me out.
Attachments
goldeneye.jpg
darrel from meraux
hunter

Re: Duck id. Warning, bad pic.

Postby chris_k » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 am

What did you take the picture with? Your wristwatch?
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby darrel from meraux » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 pm

This is a 10 year old picture of a picture. I guess it didnt help that I didnt get any close up or better shots but I warned yall the pic was bad.
darrel from meraux
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:04 pm

hen goldeneye or barrow's. :huh:
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun May 13, 2012 9:55 am

chris_k wrote:What did you take the picture with? Your wristwatch?

:lol: :lol:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting