Swamp Question

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Swamp Question

Postby NYGOOSEHUNTER » Sun May 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Hello All,

Please bear with this Naive Yankee, but after watching several seasons of Swamp People, I was wondering how you all deal with 'gators and hunting dogs while duck hunting. I would think with shooting a bunch of ducks from a blind and sending a retriever out that there would be blood and splashing enough to attract a gator. I ask this in all seriousness.

Thanks, I look forward to your answers.

Sean
"CALL ME AARON BURR...CAUSE I'M DROPPIN' HAMILTONS!!"
NYGOOSEHUNTER
hunter

Re: Swamp Question

Postby wpevey » Sun May 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Only have to worry about them during Teal season for the most part near me. Once the air temperature drops the water temp low enough the gator go inactive and bury themselves in mud. Thier metabolism slows down to pretty much nothing. I dont know the exact temps where they start to do that but think I read somwhere a water temp of 60F or below they drop thier metabolism.

During teal season however I leave the dog at home. It is simply not worth the risk for me. My dog is too much a part of the family and I know of too many horror stories. Teal season and warm weather the water levels are high and I bring the pirogue with me in the boat and get them myself. Once regular season open in November your pretty much good to go due to the temps. Im still always on the lookout however when i send her for a retrieve just in case.
wpevey
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon May 14, 2012 5:44 am

Pretty well pegged it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Simple. If you have gators, don't bring the dog when it is warm.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby Underradar » Tue May 29, 2012 11:05 am

I have had a couple of dogs that weren't performing, so no big loss when I send them into the gator infested bayou. Easier than burying them.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby southernsoldier » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:34 pm

You just gotta be smart about when you bring themm..... my dad lost his champion lab on a DECEMBER hunt in pecan island.....if its hot we leave em home.. if its cool we hunt them..... price you pay for hunting in the swamps and marsh here.
southernsoldier
hunter

Postby Cajunhiker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:13 am

Padding around Lake Martin scouting on Dec. 1 and 2, 2012, weather was in the 70s to 80s and I saw some dinosaur size gators sunning themselves on logs. Kinda made me nervous about jumping into the water myself. Snap!
Cajunhiker
Newb

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting