Louisiana Trainers

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Louisiana Trainers

Postby blacknwhite71 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:19 am

Are there any local trainers on here or that you would recommend? I'm about to get a lab pup, I work offshore on a 21/21 rotation I was wondering if it would be a good idea to leave the dog with the trainer for my three weeks on and pick him up for my three off so I could work with him too. I'm just wondering if any trainers would cater to this and if it would be a good idea.
blacknwhite71
hunter

Re: Louisiana Trainers

Postby Ducaholic » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:02 am

Daniel Goldsby...give him a call and discuss your plans and see how he feels about it...I would say he would probably rather you come and visit your dog and work with him as much as you would like but he probably will want to get the dog to a point he is comfortable with before turning over to you...985-517-0773 or 985-747-8586
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:36 am

Where is here? Most won't be keen on the 3 and 3, but will be glad to have you come work your dog with them when you're home. LA is blessed with enough good trainers that it shouldn't be hard to find someone handy.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Louisiana Trainers

Postby blacknwhite71 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:14 am

I live In between baton rouge and Lafayette. By here I meant Louisiana, don't mind traveling a little for a good trainer.
blacknwhite71
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:53 am

There's the Cajun Hunting Retriever Club just to your west and the Amite River Club to your east, you can get contact numbers for both from the Hunting Retriever Club's website, learn when they're having training days and tests, and go watch a slew of pro trainers show their stuff. Check out their dogs' performance and attitudes, as well as the pros', and you shouldn't have much trouble finding a good fit for you and yours.

Much better than relying on internet references, I'd think.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Goldsby is in Amite...
Ducaholic
hunter

Louisiana Trainers

Postby blacknwhite71 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:37 am

Thanks
blacknwhite71
hunter

Postby wpevey » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Sent my dog to Steve Riggins. He is north of Zachary in Slaughter LA, No complaints very nice guy and did a great job w/ my dog especially since I hunt w/ a German Shorthair. His kennel is called Bear Creek on the Bayou.
wpevey
hunter

Postby metalworx » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:42 pm

what age do they need to start training and on average for just hunting and obedience how long do they usually need to be with a pro
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Postby GREYHAWK38 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Rick love your dog and yes I know the breed
GREYHAWK38
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:16 am

Thanks, he's a good hand.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:16 am

metalworx wrote:what age do they need to start training and on average for just hunting and obedience how long do they usually need to be with a pro

I have a lab I just bought out of Arkansas that is now 10 weeks old. Everyone I asked these same questions too seemed to have the same general responses. Start the retrieving part ASAP, just letting them enjoy it and not preaching on sit and stay and all the obedience. Then at around 5 months old the trainers like to start their training process. I have been told the beginning phase is about 4 months for basics and obedience then another 4 months or so to get into the more advanced handling skills and hunt testing and all of that. Im sure it varies dog to dog and trainer to trainer.
AaronR
hunter

Louisiana Trainers

Postby Gizzle86 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:06 pm

My trainer/ guy I bought mine from had the obedience done(started dog) when I bounty it at 9weeks. I thought you throw fun bumbers for them ya know but start obedience first off. Im no trainer just what I thought
Gizzle86
hunter

Postby AaronR » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:54 am

I guess it depends on your definition of obedience. I read in serveral articles this week that once you force the pup to stay and not retrieve except on command, that they begin to lose the drive and "want to". Almost like a spark goes out that can not be re-lit. Of course I preach manners to the pup and steer him away from bad habits. Like you said, I am no trainer either.

Gizzle86 wrote:My trainer/ guy I bought mine from had the obedience done(started dog) when I bounty it at 9weeks.

Also, I was under the impression that a "started dog" has actually passed enough Hunt Test to get their Started Pass making them a "Started Dog". I wasnt aware a 9week old could pass those tests...
AaronR
hunter

Louisiana Trainers

Postby Gizzle86 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:45 am

That's what He called them. Personally I say they are obedience trained. But for what you said about losing spark that's what fun bumbers are for to keep them interested and when I throw one I don't give any command just tease em and get them excited and chunk if.
Gizzle86
hunter

Postby AaronR » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:15 am

Yea I think they use those terms as selling points. I agree with, I do the same with mine and he loves it. Cant wait for him to grow up and to see how he performs in the field.
AaronR
hunter

Postby LSUzeke » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:54 am

Check out Marcus Hebert at Six Oaks Kennels in New Iberia. I had a great experience with him
LSUzeke
hunter

Postby JMejeur » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:21 am

wpevey wrote:Sent my dog to Steve Riggins. He is north of Zachary in Slaughter LA, No complaints very nice guy and did a great job w/ my dog especially since I hunt w/ a German Shorthair. His kennel is called Bear Creek on the Bayou.

what did steve train your GSP for? im about to send both of mine to him this week, for duck hunting. im pretty excited about it. just wondering how he did with yours
JMejeur
Newb

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting