Greetings.

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Greetings.

Postby cajungolfdog » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:04 pm

New to the forum and from Louisiana so I thought this would be a good place to start. I started hunting in Gueydan when I was a kid on my grandfather's lease, he then decided to move the camp to Pecan Island, but hurricanes took that away. He's passed now and I am ready to venture on my own in terms of findings places to hunt, only I have no idea where to start. A few questions I have are:

Are WMA(s) the only public places to hunt?

Is it as simple as driving out there and doing some scouting, then just dropping a layout boat and dekes where ever? (provided it's not private property)

I'm most familiar with marsh hunting and and most equipped for that, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
cajungolfdog
Newb

Re: Greetings.

Postby benelliquackerstacker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:19 pm

cajungolfdog wrote:New to the forum and from Louisiana so I thought this would be a good place to start. I started hunting in Gueydan when I was a kid on my grandfather's lease, he then decided to move the camp to Pecan Island, but hurricanes took that away. He's passed now and I am ready to venture on my own in terms of findings places to hunt, only I have no idea where to start. A few questions I have are:

1)Are WMA(s) the only public places to hunt?

2)Is it as simple as driving out there and doing some scouting, then just dropping a layout boat and dekes where ever? (provided it's not private property)
I'm most familiar with marsh hunting and and most equipped for that, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

1) Check the LDWF website on this one.
2) Yes it pretty much is that easy, as long as its public land. A little hard work and effort will get you a long way.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

You can tell MOJO to suck it.... This jerk-a-spread sucks. Effff it. Splooosh (Hawkeye76)

blackrhino wrote:
I don't wear underwear and I would trade my best skillet to get rid of a bad woman.
benelliquackerstacker
hunter

Postby J.Roberts (TeamDuckMeat) » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:13 am

Hey man. There are plenty of great opportunities on public land around the state. There are many WMA's and Refuges as well that you can hunt. For the wma's check the wildlife and fisheries website and here is a link to the Refuge page.
http://www.fws.gov/southeastlouisiana/

Yes its definitely that easy in some areas but other areas it may take a little more work then that. Public land can be very rewarding as long as your willing to scout and work hard no matter what area you decide to hunt.
Team Duck Meat is a group of family and friends enjoying the outdoors and sharing it with others. Please check out our facebook page for great pictures and videos of our hunting trips. Thanks

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Duck ... 0373692467
J.Roberts (TeamDuckMeat)
hunter

Postby cajungolfdog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Thank you both very much.
cajungolfdog
Newb

Postby benelliquackerstacker » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:45 pm

Welcome to DHC btw. :welcome:
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

You can tell MOJO to suck it.... This jerk-a-spread sucks. Effff it. Splooosh (Hawkeye76)

blackrhino wrote:
I don't wear underwear and I would trade my best skillet to get rid of a bad woman.
benelliquackerstacker
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:18 pm

cajun, what area of the state are you in or where are you looking to hunt. There is a ton of public land all over the state. definitely do your scouting and read up on the regs for any public places you want to hunt. :welcome: to the forum
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby princeton » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Welcome!
princeton
hunter

Postby cajungolfdog » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:11 pm

airborneduckhunter wrote:cajun, what area of the state are you in or where are you looking to hunt. There is a ton of public land all over the state. definitely do your scouting and read up on the regs for any public places you want to hunt. :welcome: to the forum

Sorry for the very late reply, work has me traveling quite a bit. I'm in Youngsville (southern Lafayette Parish) and am mostly looking a Sherbune. I've stuck to doves this year, since time has not been on my side and opportunities to scout with my kayak have been none existent. Look out next year! Thanks again.
cajungolfdog
Newb

Postby teaves2257 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:42 am

:welcome: I'm sure with a little work you will find plenty of places to hunt down there. Do a lot of scouting and it will pay off in time.
teaves2257
hunter

Sherburne

Postby takemking » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 am

Sherburne is a decent place to hunt for woodducks and you can walk in and hunt off of Section 120 Rd. The best hunting on Sherburne is the lottery hunts during the week on Tuesday and Thursday on the South Farm unit. Attakapas WMA might also be worth a shot. If you've got a boat you could head down to the Atchafalaya Delta WMA.
A duck hunter must follow hunters of the oldest kind in North America. He must live his life a nomad, following the flock wherever it might lead. Through flooded timber, fields or marsh, he does what he must to find success.
takemking
hunter

Postby LAvenator » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:46 am

Hi Cajun. I hunted Sherburne quite a bit this past year, and though I've done some scouting elsewhere this year and am prepared to hunt at a couple of different WMAs/NWRs, I plan on hunting Sherburne quite a bit again this year. Had some good hunts out there. I hunt by myself for the most part, so if you would like to meet up this year and make a hunt together, I'd be happy to do my best to show you around. All you need is a kayak or pirogue. Let me know.
LAvenator
hunter

Postby drakethedog1970 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Just find a blind on any public water and hunt away! No need to waste your own time when there is something already built!

If you come across mine, feel free to hunt it!
drakethedog1970
hunter

Postby cajungolfdog » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks for the tips an assistance. I was able to do a little scouting today in Sherburne. I hopped in the kayak on the south side and scooted through the small creeks, to a few openings. Saw some woodies and mallards, but nothing crazy. Unfortunately I just received a contingency plan assignment from work that will have me leave next week through Feb. So no hunting at all this year. But there is always next time!
cajungolfdog
Newb

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting