Lake Bistineau

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Lake Bistineau

Postby southbistineau » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Have a small fishing camp on Bistineau by Peggy's Island. I've never duck hunted before but will be trying it out this year. I will pretty much be by myself. I have a pirogue, good pair of waders, and a dozen decoys. Any advice from any of you that have hunted in that area?

Plan for right now is to throw out some decoys and hunker down by some trees. Will probably try around Peggy's as well as find some holes in the timber. The lake is down right now so I pretty much can stand anywhere except the channels. I know that I need to stay clear of the permanent blinds in the area as I don' t want to make enemies.

Also plan on jumping wood ducks from the pirogue since I have done that on accident quite a few times in the past.

:help: Any advice?

Thanks
southbistineau
hunter

Re: Lake Bistineau

Postby tb44 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:08 pm

More blinds and hunters then ducks.... ESP on that end of the lake don't waste ur time
tb44
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 am

Don't let em lie to ya ducks everywheres down there. A little bire told me the teal were pounded in there this year
Park Duck
hunter

Postby tb44 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 am

Go waster your time fine with me I dont hunt that end of the lake just tring to save you a head ache. The good spots on that end of the lake are hunted every day and all have blinds on them. Over pressured and only last the first split then they complain later in season when birds have left.
tb44
hunter

Postby Underradar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 am

Get out there now and plant millet on the mud flats.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 am

chippewa millet at that stuff is the bomb
Park Duck
hunter

Postby ccvick1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:55 pm

I hunted there back in High School just about every weekend............. More fun with friends than anything else. Watched Water Turkeys fly to the river every morning and fly back every evening. Good luck though. :beer:
ccvick1
hunter

Postby southbistineau » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:27 am

Went out Saturday mid morning to look around and fish some. Y'all aren't lying about the water turkeys. Group after group just kept flying over for at least thirty minutes non- stop. But I do hope there will be a few ducks in this area. I really want to hunt here, as I try to learn what to do, since it is so close to my camp. Not at that point of wanting a limit. I just want to see some ducks that are close enough to shoot at. Shooting skills will be a totally different challenge :lol3: :rolleyes:
southbistineau
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting