Wallace Lake

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Wallace Lake

Postby ccvick1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:21 am

I don't reckon I've intoduced myself here. My name is Clift. I'm an avid hunter (of course). I've hunted wallace lake for 5 years now. I've never built a blind for multiple reasons 1. didn't want to intrude on anyone, and 2. it just didn't seem necessary (which now I feel differently). I went scouting this past weekend, and found that someone else has built a blind in the little hole I called home for the last couple of years. So, Naturally I'm looking elsewhere on the lake. I've noticed quite a few blinds that are within 200 yds. of eachother. I think I have found a new hole, with about 260yds from other blinds, would this be ok?
ccvick1
hunter

Re: Wallace Lake

Postby Marshwalker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Glad to have you on the forum. :welcome:
Honestly 260 is still pretty close. Might not seem close, but when trying to work and or kill ducks; having someone 260 yards shooting or calling will mess up your hunt horribly. I would consider scouting again before spending the time and money on building a blind. Happy scouting.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby ccvick1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Thank you for the welcome and your reply. I've never been big on blind hunting. I grew up and am used to flooded timber in AR. One thing that is pressing me to build now is I have a 5yo son that wants to come along and an 8yo nephew that's showing some interest. There are 3 blinds that would be about 260yds from me and they are about 130yds apart. I don't know if the same person has all three or not, but that seems way to close. I don't really want to move out there and make enemys..... but it seems the only way to ensure a spot is by building a blind. I made sure I was able to hunt "my spot" by getting there before everyone else. But, someone has now built a blind there, and I'm not going to set up in front of them just because they did.
ccvick1
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:09 pm

Walace is scheduled to be in a draw down state all season.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 pm

I would strongly avoid ticking anyone off, ecpecially up there. I hunt right next to Dewy Mills and made a couple hunts at catahoula back in the day. Although its public the people that hunt out there have had blinds out there for generations. People have to board their windows up at the launch just so people dont break them. Last year a man was even shot and killed on the lake and they claimed someone mistaked him for a "hog." My 2 cents is to stay away - nothing ever good comes from trying to fight it.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby ccvick1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:40 pm

I appreciate your advice, but I hope it would never come to that up here. A few years ago I had a couple of guys come into the hole I was hunting about 20 minutes or so before shooting hours. They apologized, but it was just me that morning, so I just told them to join me. It's not worth the trouble of arguing over, and for sure not worth fighting and shooting. We'll just have to see how it pans out.
ccvick1
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 am

I gator hunted out there last month. In some places it looks like blinds are on top of eachother, but I found numerous other places where there wasn't a blind to be found. I'm toying with the idea of hunting a time or two out there myself, but it will probably be during the week to avoid the crowds.
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby ccvick1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:36 am

How was gator season ot there?
ccvick1
hunter

Postby MASSCARNAGE » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:44 pm

I have hunted there in the past and done real well. dont let the blinders scare you. i have a friend that has lived on the lake for years and all of the resident are old men that think they own the lake. most blinds are never hunted but opening weekends. Boat blinds are the best especially if you have a prodrive because the old ones dont. if you can get through the hydrilla exp with the draw down the lake is your diamond
MASSCARNAGE
Newb

Postby POKER1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:30 pm

If your taking your kid its not worth a hassle to crowd anyone. It will just leave you with a bad experience. Get to know folks on the lake and you will get some leads on a spot. However with the lake covered in a solid mat of salvinia finding open holes can be tough unless we get water and you have a rig to get you there. Its not just the "Old Guys" out there. The younger idiots play their part as well........... :biggrin: I have a blind there and built it for the very same reasons you are, young kids. Id just as soon see all blinds on public removed. But as you have found out the hard way, if you dont have one there someone else will by next weekend. Do any amount of shooting and they will be boom scouting you in a heart beat to move in on that hole. So Ill keep it there as long as everyone else does. My favorite way to hunt is standing in waders and leaning on a tree at first light. The older I get it is coming full circle and less really does = more.
Last edited by POKER1 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
POKER1
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:32 pm

ccvick1 wrote:How was gator season ot there?

Gator season aint worth a chit now with all the wanna-a-bee Swamp People running around........... :yes:
POKER1
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:05 am

ccvick1 wrote:How was gator season ot there?

Didn't catch or see a dang thing. Except we saw a dead one.
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 am

The gators are there. You don't get to see them very often on Wallace. Unlike the river where they will swim up to your boat they are very elusive on the lake.
POKER1
hunter

Postby Toledo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:55 am

I would hunt the spot you hunted last year. They dont own it just because they built a blind on public property. If I had kids with me and I got there first I would let the squatters know that I was going to move along for the day but also explain that I had been hunting there before they built the blind and would continue to hunt there.

The state really needs to do something about the squatter issue cause its just going to get worse and worse as populations increase and hunting spots decrease.
Toledo
hunter

Postby tb44 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm

good luck with that bawahawhaha
tb44
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Toledo wrote:I would hunt the spot you hunted last year. They dont own it just because they built a blind on public property. If I had kids with me and I got there first I would let the squatters know that I was going to move along for the day but also explain that I had been hunting there before they built the blind and would continue to hunt there.

The state really needs to do something about the squatter issue cause its just going to get worse and worse as populations increase and hunting spots decrease.

Yeh you could go that route and both of you show up every day to make each other miserable all season. Or you can just join the crowd and build you some sort of a blind on the next spot you find.
POKER1
hunter

Postby ccvick1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm not going to hunt the same spot. Ther's no sense in pissing people off. But I will say that his position in that location is next to horrible. I've found a few other spots that I'm going to look at again in the morning. As to talking to people at the launch and "making friends".... The one person I've carried a conversation with a couple years ago told me to leave and find another lake to hunt because that was his lake. So, we'll see what I come up with. Also plan on scouting out at bodcau this weekend to hunt second split. :beer:
ccvick1
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30 pm

ccvick1 wrote:I'm not going to hunt the same spot. Ther's no sense in pissing people off. But I will say that his position in that location is next to horrible. I've found a few other spots that I'm going to look at again in the morning. As to talking to people at the launch and "making friends".... The one person I've carried a conversation with a couple years ago told me to leave and find another lake to hunt because that was his lake. So, we'll see what I come up with. Also plan on scouting out at bodcau this weekend to hunt second split. :beer:

I kinda got the same reception years ago. They got over it.............. :biggrin:
POKER1
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:59 pm

ccvick1 wrote:...The one person I've carried a conversation with a couple years ago told me to leave and find another lake to hunt because that was his lake. :beer:

I would have had a fun conversation with that guy..... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
HAIL STATE!!!
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 pm

Hawkeye76 wrote:
ccvick1 wrote:...The one person I've carried a conversation with a couple years ago told me to leave and find another lake to hunt because that was his lake. :beer:

I would have had a fun conversation with that guy..... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

That aint no chit............. :lol3:
POKER1
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:22 pm

Samething as catahoula nuff said. Read my post there. La really needs to do something about this permenate blind crap
Park Duck
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:03 am

I've hunted Wallace off and on for 40 years or so and never had a single problem with other hunters. Have had problems with vehicles being broken into but it's not hunters doing it. Lots of human waste living in the areas around the lake and they breed a new crop of thieves faster than the law can catch them.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:14 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:I've hunted Wallace off and on for 40 years or so and never had a single problem with other hunters. Have had problems with vehicles being broken into but it's not hunters doing it. Lots of human waste living in the areas around the lake and they breed a new crop of thieves faster than the law can catch them.

You need to look no further than the top of the hill....................
POKER1
hunter

Postby Duck Enticer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:20 pm

260 yards is to close in my opinion, Especially on an open lake.

If I was the czar of hunting reg's I would say 500-600 yards minimum. About 3/10's of a mile. And even that distance could be too close wind depending.

Of course there are exceptions. Pot hole marsh would be one. If there are potholes spaced apart with tall roseaus in between 150 yards could be okay. I have had some great hunts in Lacassine with clueless Joe Jackson 100-150 yards from me.
Negrodamus knows!
Duck Enticer
hunter

Postby AaronR » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:56 am

a
Last edited by AaronR on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
AaronR
hunter

Next

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting