Wallace Lake

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Re: Wallace Lake

Postby AaronR » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:58 am

Duck Enticer wrote:260 yards is to close in my opinion, Especially on an open lake.

If I was the czar of hunting reg's I would say 500-600 yards minimum. About 3/10's of a mile. And even that distance could be too close wind depending.

Of course there are exceptions. Pot hole marsh would be one. If there are potholes spaced apart with tall roseaus in between 150 yards could be okay. I have had some great hunts in Lacassine with clueless Joe Jackson 100-150 yards from me.


A 500-600 yrd minnimum would be nice is kind of an unrealistic law to wish for simply due to the fact that it would be near impossible to enforce and ALL public areas. If you think about times when you did not have anyone hunting closer than 1000yrds from you and ducks were working your decoys, a group off in the distance shoots a few a times and the birds still react and pull up. I have killed a lot of birds hunting with people a couple hundred yards away but still be affected by shooting a mile away. That is just part of what we as waterfowls have to learn to deal with and adapt too.

All we can do is go out there and respect other hunters and hope for the same from them.
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm


Re: Wallace Lake

Postby mmccal8 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:18 pm

I have hunted wallace a few times every season for the past 5 or 6 years. I live right up the road so it's convenient. More than once, me and my friends have been hassled by older hunters. I was told any blind I built would be burned down. I haven't let it really stop me from going out there. I've never had a hunt on the west side of the lake that made me even want to build a blind out there. A better option has been hunting out my boat and moving around to the best spot. ymmv
mmccal8
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Wallace Lake

Postby Toledo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:54 am

mmccal8 wrote:I have hunted wallace a few times every season for the past 5 or 6 years. I live right up the road so it's convenient. More than once, me and my friends have been hassled by older hunters. I was told any blind I built would be burned down. I haven't let it really stop me from going out there. I've never had a hunt on the west side of the lake that made me even want to build a blind out there. A better option has been hunting out my boat and moving around to the best spot. ymmv


Good for you. Keep at it. A lot of the old squatters out there are trying to operate on the, he who is the biggest ****** wins rules. Its public and you have just as much right to hunt it as they do. Dont set up close to anyone thats already there when you get there and then dont even play their game when they show up later acting an arse.
Toledo
hunter
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: College Station, TX

Re: Wallace Lake

Postby POKER1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Toledo wrote:
mmccal8 wrote:I have hunted wallace a few times every season for the past 5 or 6 years. I live right up the road so it's convenient. More than once, me and my friends have been hassled by older hunters. I was told any blind I built would be burned down. I haven't let it really stop me from going out there. I've never had a hunt on the west side of the lake that made me even want to build a blind out there. A better option has been hunting out my boat and moving around to the best spot. ymmv


Good for you. Keep at it. A lot of the old squatters out there are trying to operate on the, he who is the biggest ****** wins rules. Its public and you have just as much right to hunt it as they do. Dont set up close to anyone thats already there when you get there and then dont even play their game when they show up later acting an arse.


:lol3:
User avatar
POKER1
hunter
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: Wallace Lake

Postby tb44 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 am

ha
User avatar
tb44
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:50 pm
Location: NW Louisiana

Re: Wallace Lake

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 pm

260 is way too close. I got a blind on the river and someone put a blind up about 350 yds away. Last year I saw 2 huge flocks of snow geese flying really high I got on a call to see what would happen and they started working. I worked on them for over 45 mins i was blue in the face from calling. They were working down making big circles. Got em down about 150 yds they were stil making big circles and the guys in that blind sky blasted at them. Dont think i've ever been that mad.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: Wallace Lake

Postby Old_School40 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:06 pm

h i everyone this is the first time ive posted, but I have a few things to say. Ive worked Wallace my whole life and hav seen some crazy things. I try to stay away from the open lake for reasons. I don't want to build a blind, 1st my boat is my blind, 2nd I don't owen wallce [WISH I DID]. no offense to the owners of ther blinds, it does take a lot of work. I had to put a small blind up, if u want to call it that in the whole I call home. if i come across another hunter I usually invite them in and join me, its nice to have someone to talk to. I ask them if u want to hunt here please only take 10 woodys a season, that was my grandfathers rule and that was 'THE LAW' . ive noticed some new faces out there ,I see them but they don't see me. I went to another hole I call the pond just right next to I49 Saturday , I only saw a few ducks and they were high, i couldn't help but notice about a million shells just left there. i decided to move to my main hole. well the bank was red with emty shells,an illegal bird on the bank,beer cans and i believe owl feathers. ive watched this bird three years now, i fear the worst. these actions cant be from a hunter that calls Wallace home. and to all theses young kids on the lake, jumping from hole to hole getting too close to professional guys, stop it,find something else to, stop ruining our day.
.
Old_School40
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Wallace Lake

Postby Park Duck » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Old_School40 wrote:h i everyone this is the first time ive posted, but I have a few things to say. Ive worked Wallace my whole life and hav seen some crazy things. I try to stay away from the open lake for reasons. I don't want to build a blind, 1st my boat is my blind, 2nd I don't owen wallce [WISH I DID]. no offense to the owners of ther blinds, it does take a lot of work. I had to put a small blind up, if u want to call it that in the whole I call home. if i come across another hunter I usually invite them in and join me, its nice to have someone to talk to. I ask them if u want to hunt here please only take 10 woodys a season, that was my grandfathers rule and that was 'THE LAW' . ive noticed some new faces out there ,I see them but they don't see me. I went to another hole I call the pond just right next to I49 Saturday , I only saw a few ducks and they were high, i couldn't help but notice about a million shells just left there. i decided to move to my main hole. well the bank was red with emty shells,an illegal bird on the bank,beer cans and i believe owl feathers. ive watched this bird three years now, i fear the worst. these actions cant be from a hunter that calls Wallace home. and to all theses young kids on the lake, jumping from hole to hole getting too close to professional guys, stop it,find something else to, stop ruining our day.
.

Say man, meth is bad for you and will kill you.
User avatar
Park Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:52 am
Location: Natchez Ms

Re: Wallace Lake

Postby cobbeaux » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:39 pm

Park Duck wrote:
Old_School40 wrote:h i everyone this is the first time ive posted, but I have a few things to say. Ive worked Wallace my whole life and hav seen some crazy things. I try to stay away from the open lake for reasons. I don't want to build a blind, 1st my boat is my blind, 2nd I don't owen wallce [WISH I DID]. no offense to the owners of ther blinds, it does take a lot of work. I had to put a small blind up, if u want to call it that in the whole I call home. if i come across another hunter I usually invite them in and join me, its nice to have someone to talk to. I ask them if u want to hunt here please only take 10 woodys a season, that was my grandfathers rule and that was 'THE LAW' . ive noticed some new faces out there ,I see them but they don't see me. I went to another hole I call the pond just right next to I49 Saturday , I only saw a few ducks and they were high, i couldn't help but notice about a million shells just left there. i decided to move to my main hole. well the bank was red with emty shells,an illegal bird on the bank,beer cans and i believe owl feathers. ive watched this bird three years now, i fear the worst. these actions cant be from a hunter that calls Wallace home. and to all theses young kids on the lake, jumping from hole to hole getting too close to professional guys, stop it,find something else to, stop ruining our day.
.

Say man, meth is bad for you and will kill you.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Awwww man, I can't believe I did dat!

Red Leg Waterfowl Field Staff
User avatar
cobbeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:47 am
Location: Shreveport, LA (Too Far North Louisiana)

Previous

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests