Duck Report

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Duck Report

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:32 pm

No good topics here anymore. Whose been seeing ducks? Dont need to say where. I saw a big group of greys earlier this week. That's the first big ducks I've seen this year. Seems to be plenty of woodies and teal this year too.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Re: Duck Report

Postby teaves2257 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 pm

i heard there all on black bayou :hi:
teaves2257
hunter

Postby StevenMcCarty » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:47 pm

Yeah there were quite a few up there on BB. I've seen a few Mallards on my families private hole, but those are domestic. I haven't had a real chance to do some real scouting for duck season, been to busy building/brushing blinds. I plan to scout a few different areas in the upcoming weekends. I just wish the cold weather we had two weeks ago would come back. I have seen plenty of coots though during teal season!!
StevenMcCarty
Newb

Duck Report

Postby Jarren » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Going do some work on the lease in SWLA this Sunday. Hope to see some in the area
Jarren
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Drove to Pecan Island last weekend to check out a lease. Did not see a quacker the whole time. Heard from a buddy that they are all snuggled up in the rice fields in Welsh, getting nice and fat for the winter. Biggest cold front of the year is pushing in from Canada this weekend. Hopefully it'll freeze those fields up north and push them quackers down shortly. :grooving:
Will report back-
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:34 am

Here in SWLA specks are finally starting to show in better numbers, as are big ducks. Nothing to speak of in a our fresh marsh yet, as most everything's enjoying the rice. Here's a tease from a ride behind a buddy's house last weekend:

If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Andrew22 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:25 am

Rick Hall wrote:Here in SWLA specks are finally starting to show in better numbers, as are big ducks. Nothing to speak of in a our fresh marsh yet, as most everything's enjoying the rice. Here's a tease from a ride behind a buddy's house last weekend:

Maybe he wants to be my friend.
Andrew22
hunter

Postby duck70301 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:27 am

Ducks are starting to show in lafouche and terrbonne parish in good numbers blue and green wing teal ,spoonbills ,pintails ,grays ,wigouns ,and a few divers coots too
Roland(Duckman) Cortez
RNT calls
duck70301
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:48 am

Here in NE La, I saw a lot of Pintails and Spoonies the last 2 weekends of teal season. But havent been out since then to look. I am sure the gads are arriving as well. Seen few groups of specks headed south too.
AaronR
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:54 pm

Andrew22 wrote:Maybe he wants to be my friend.

Don'tcha know he has lots of friends.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby tb44 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:53 am

not seeing much....according to all the big lake hunters we should be in the blind this weekend if they had it there way! THANK God we arent opening this weekend.....cause ive been on 3 lakes and birds are not hear in huntable numbers yet......
tb44
hunter

Postby Duce » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Been seeing a bunch of specks. Friend of mine took pics of a field with 2000+ birds. Packed with a lot of teal and some pintails along with other ducks too. This is in the Lyons point area.
Duce
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:14 pm

tb44 wrote:not seeing much....according to all the big lake hunters we should be in the blind this weekend if they had it there way! THANK God we arent opening this weekend.....cause ive been on 3 lakes and birds are not hear in huntable numbers yet......

Nobody has asked for an opener this early, and the majority of "big lake hunters" I have conversed with and those that showed up at the Commission meeting wanted to open the first weekend in November with no split ..... so you're exaggerating a bit.

But I appreciate hearing what y'all are seeing on those northwest LA reservoirs.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby tb44 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:17 pm

No not exaggerated ... There where several on different duck fourms speaking of opening in oct.
tb44
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:32 pm

tb44 wrote:No not exaggerated ... There where several on different duck fourms speaking of opening in oct.

"Several on different duck forums" is not even close to "according to all the big lake hunters" ........

That is exaggeration by definition.

Of the dozens who contacted me, there were "a few" big lake hunters that wanted to open the last weekend in October ....... NOT this early.

The survey also showed "very few" West Zone hunters that wanted to open in October, and almost all of them chose the last week in October ...... NOT this early.

Your post was clearly exaggeration.

But I still appreciate your report.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:24 pm

mAn that's weird. All the lake hunters I talked to wanted to move it up to. I know we kill more in the first split but that's just to early.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby tb44 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:47 pm

OK.....
tb44
hunter

Postby Toledo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:00 pm

I spoke up for an early opener. Last Saturday in October. There will be a lot of birds show up in the next week.
Toledo
hunter

Postby AaronR » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:12 am

What is the reasoning behind you guys all wanting to hunt earlier? The mallards wont be here this early amd its still high 80's temp..I prefer to hunt when its cold and the mallards have been pushed down by mother nature. Which we all know mother nature gives us defferent elements every year and therefore CHANGES the migration every year. I believe the season is serving well as is. But I hunt East Zone.
AaronR
hunter

Postby Toledo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:57 am

Aaron, a lot of it really depends on where and what you hunt. I suggested dates similar to what is currently in place for east zone because we hunt near the MS river and mostly shoot mallards in the east zone. The fact is for the non mallard species (gads, teal, wigeon, spoonies, redheads, pintail, etc) 75% of those birds that will show up are here come Nov 15th. Wouldnt it make more sense to hunt them as they come down instead of hammering them to hell on opening morning and watching the season go down hill from there? I would gladly have the extra week or two in early Nov and give up a week or two in the notoriously stale January. Every year we hunt the Texas opener on the first saturday in November and do just as well that weekend as we do the next weekend for La opener. I have a buddy that scouted hard this weekend and if season had opened this past saturday we would of shot easy limits. Birds are still thin but there are huntable numbers here. Next weekend there will be more and thats when I would open it if we could all have it our own way. If you have spent much time in the marshes, rice fields, or lakes at the end of October you will see just how many birds are here early. If you dont believe it, then go take a look at Catahoula Lake next weekend for an eye opener. You will leave asking yourself why the hell arent we out there shooting those birds.
Toledo
hunter

Postby tb44 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 am

Here we go again.....

You said a mouth full...."scouted hard". And found enough birds to kill limits. WOW!!!...Yeah I to know where afew holes are that have enough birds to kill some limits in NW louisiana. But if the other 1000 hunters all went out of that wouldnt be the case. Only afew would end up killing birds and some of the holes on public lakes would have multiple hunters fighting over the (X) and the way it is here in NW louisiana on these big lakes I seriously do not think any of the guys who been hunting them for years are going to let or appreciate any one moving in on them!

The season should NEVER open before the first weekend in NOV and the 2nd week is even better.

And again im speaking about NW louisiana.
tb44
hunter

Postby Toledo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:32 am

tb44 wrote:Here we go again.....

You said a mouth full...."scouted hard". And found enough birds to kill limits. WOW!!!...Yeah I to know where afew holes are that have enough birds to kill some limits in NW louisiana. But if the other 1000 hunters all went out of that wouldnt be the case. Only afew would end up killing birds and some of the holes on public lakes would have multiple hunters fighting over the (X) and the way it is here in NW louisiana on these big lakes I seriously do not think any of the guys who been hunting them for years are going to let or appreciate any one moving in on them!

The season should NEVER open before the first weekend in NOV and the 2nd week is even better.

And again im speaking about NW louisiana.

Wasnt very many years ago TX would open last weekend in October. Tenaha Creek had no problem cranking out limits for every group of hunters that showed up. Technically in TX but as far as a duck is concerned its northwest LA.
Toledo
hunter

Postby teaves2257 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:13 am

Toledo wrote:Wasnt very many years ago TX would open last weekend in October. Tenaha Creek had no problem cranking out limits for every group of hunters that showed up. Technically in TX but as far as a duck is concerned its northwest LA.

Texas and Nw Louisiana is no where close to the same. That's like saying Nw la and NE la are the same. Maybe your area could be hunted now but ours would be a waste. No reason to start season until November. Sure I can find limits of birds but like stated above everyone else in the area would be in the same place fighting over a couple spots.
teaves2257
hunter

Postby Toledo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:03 pm

teaves2257 wrote:Texas and Nw Louisiana is no where close to the same. Sure I can find limits of birds but like stated above everyone else in the area would be in the same place fighting over a couple spots.

I would say 1/2 mile apart is pretty much the same place as far as any bird is concerned.

Should the first day of season be the best day of the year? No, and if it is then it means we opened too late and missed most of the migration. All Im saying is we would be better served by exchanging some of those boring January days for the two weeks prior to when it opens now and hit the birds as they show up. Unless you are hunting mallards, I guaranty you will have killed more birds at the end of the 60 days.

Im really not concerned with some squatter or lazy group of late wakers success rates. There will be some that dont fire a shot because they are lazy and went and sat in the same spot where they have always sat. There will be some that wont fire a shot because they didnt get to the X first. This isnt a sport for the lazy. Scout hard, wake up early, shoot ducks. Anyone that isnt willing to do the first two shouldnt be entitled to the last. Most of the places that have birds will always have foks fighting over them on opening morning. Thats not going to change with the calendar.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Duck Enticer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Went and grassed a blind this past weekend around Cameron. Nada.....Well, maybe some mottleds that were bunched tight. They might of come from Texas. No Northern migrants to be seen.

Hey Rick,
What kind of ducks were in that flick that you showed? Looked big, but were we spooned? Also, how many birds were in that area approximately? Thanks.
Negrodamus knows!
Duck Enticer
hunter

Next

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting