Where have the ducks gone?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Postby Jarren » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 am

It seemed like they were starting to pile up pretty nice a couple weeks ago and j went Sunday to brush and work on the blind and I didn't see the first duck in the area. Seen a good many specs though.

I'm referring to SWLA. Anybody have any good reports from the area?
Jarren
hunter

Postby Sclf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:13 pm

I was building blinds on our PI lease Saturday and they were in there like Mosquitos! Hope they're still there for this weekend!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sclf
hunter

Re: Where have the ducks gone?

Postby Bigeaux20 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:24 pm

They are thick like relatives after a winning lottery ticket Southeast of the lake for the past week. Epic numbers.
Disappointment is almost always defined by ones expectations...
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby Jarren » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:04 pm

What lake are you referring to?

We were seeing good numbers until this week just kinda stumped on where they went
Jarren
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:31 pm

The big one.
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby Jarren » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Got ya
Jarren
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Glad someone has them, our cupboard is bare.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Sclf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 pm

I'm a new poster here and wanna b careful of what I say. But, my buddy in forked island also says he's covered in birds. I don't think that's giving away any secrets. What general areas are u guys in where y'all have bare cupboards?
Sclf
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:36 am

I have hunted in SWLA for ducks my whole life around the Grand Chenier/ Pecan area. Some areas are hot and always hot and some are just off and on. i realized in my years you are better off on the south side of HWY 82. For some reason i think the ducks know they are somewhat "safe" staying closer to the gulf. They also know Rockefeller is right there as well. I've done ricefields and marsh and have had my luck in each. Marsh hunting can be rough but its how you will get to the ducks. Ricefields used to be the key years ago but if you sit in a blind till about 10 minutes after dark you will see more ducks than you can imagine. But in the day youll be lucky to shoot a blackbird. Thats the reason I dont mess with ducks as much anymore because they are to damn inconsistent and expensive. i just walked out of my house in Baton Rouge for a smoke before i sleep and could hear the geese comin' like i do every year.
Getting to be that time :hammer:
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:30 am

Sclf wrote:I'm a new poster here and wanna b careful of what I say. But, my buddy in forked island also says he's covered in birds. I don't think that's giving away any secrets. What general areas are u guys in where y'all have bare cupboards?

No one's going to fuss you discussing what's happening on private land, which everything around Forked Island is. We have leases, rice and marsh, in Acadia, Vermillion, Jeff Davis and Cameron Parishes, and the duck story was much the same on all of them prior to this weather turn. Specks are looking better, so even if the ducks are late, the rice hunters will have them to work. Doubt anyone with much experience is too worried about the ducks, though. They'll show in time. Knock wood...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:31 am

Marshwalker wrote:I have hunted in SWLA for ducks my whole life around the Grand Chenier/ Pecan area. Some areas are hot and always hot and some are just off and on. i realized in my years you are better off on the south side of HWY 82. For some reason i think the ducks know they are somewhat "safe" staying closer to the gulf. They also know Rockefeller is right there as well. I've done ricefields and marsh and have had my luck in each. Marsh hunting can be rough but its how you will get to the ducks. Ricefields used to be the key years ago but if you sit in a blind till about 10 minutes after dark you will see more ducks than you can imagine. But in the day youll be lucky to shoot a blackbird. Thats the reason I dont mess with ducks as much anymore because they are to damn inconsistent and expensive. i just walked out of my house in Baton Rouge for a smoke before i sleep and could hear the geese comin' like i do every year.
Getting to be that time :hammer:

Having hunted a good bit on both sides of 82, I'd rather be well north. Make mine the freshwater edge of the marsh near rice.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Sclf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 am

I'm on the south side. Pretty much in between Rockefeller and 82. We tend to do well first split. It seems as the cold fronts bring rain and add water to the fields, the north side gets better.
Sclf
hunter

Postby Jarren » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:07 am

I'm in the Klondike area and my first year out there. I have no doubt the birds will show in time.

Just found it kinda odd from seeing big ducks most of teal season and prior to last week and then nothing.

On an upbeat note though should be enough specs to try and work.
Jarren
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:03 pm

And there is no secret that we have a place that borders Sabine NWR and the rains have definately freshened the marsh and allowed really good vegetative growth. The erosion controls, coupled with the steady rains have allowed a great amount of natural food to grow, and they are killing it right now. The Coots generally don't show up in our area until after the first split have been here since teal season. My guess is the drought along the river basin has kept birds moving south this year. The X factor is what they do when the shooting starts.

Regardless of where you are, good luck to you, and have a safe season.
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby Sclf » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:03 am

Bigeaux20 wrote:And there is no secret that we have a place that borders Sabine NWR and the rains have definately freshened the marsh and allowed really good vegetative growth. The erosion controls, coupled with the steady rains have allowed a great amount of natural food to grow, and they are killing it right now. The Coots generally don't show up in our area until after the first split have been here since teal season. My guess is the drought along the river basin has kept birds moving south this year. The X factor is what they do when the shooting starts.

Do u normally do well there? I had a lease in hackberry for the first time last year. It bordered the north end of the refuge and we actually had to cross Sabine to get to our school board property. It was terrible!! Im just wondering if last year was bad or what? I didn't spend the money again on it this year.

Sclf
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 am

Sclf wrote:
Bigeaux20 wrote:And there is no secret that we have a place that borders Sabine NWR and the rains have definately freshened the marsh and allowed really good vegetative growth. The erosion controls, coupled with the steady rains have allowed a great amount of natural food to grow, and they are killing it right now. The Coots generally don't show up in our area until after the first split have been here since teal season. My guess is the drought along the river basin has kept birds moving south this year. The X factor is what they do when the shooting starts.

Do u normally do well there? I had a lease in hackberry for the first time last year. It bordered the north end of the refuge and we actually had to cross Sabine to get to our school board property. It was terrible!! Im just wondering if last year was bad or what? I didn't spend the money again on it this year.

Been two "good" years and the most consistent hunting we have seen anywhere from North Louisana or SW Mississippi.

How did you cross Sabine during the hunting season? I was under the impression that all boat traffic was prohibited during the hunting season. For certain you can't have any weapons, and I can imagine transporting birds would have been over the line as well. Were you traveling on land across the refuge? Not accusing you of anything mind you, just curious.
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby Sclf » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:14 am

Bigeaux20 wrote:
Sclf wrote:

Been two "good" years and the most consistent hunting we have seen anywhere from North Louisana or SW Mississippi.

How did you cross Sabine during the hunting season? I was under the impression that all boat traffic was prohibited during the hunting season. For certain you can't have any weapons, and I can imagine transporting birds would have been over the line as well. Were you traveling on land across the refuge? Not accusing you of anything mind you, just curious.

We applied for and received a permit. We were traveling by water and using a little launch off the side of the road. We were not allowed to use refuge launches except for on days they were open. The permit would have allowed us to go over land if needed. They give permits to access private land quite often.
On a side note, I found out this year that the Rockefeller refuge people are absolutely not willing to grant these type permits.
Sclf
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:29 am

Rick Hall wrote:Glad someone has them, our cupboard is bare.

So was this a sandbag or did the front improve your situation?
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Wasn't lying, we had next to no ducks in our marsh before the shooting started elsewhere, but enjoyed strong hunting until a couple days ago when the stagnant weather pattern slump set in. Lots of mallards early in the week, next to nothing out there this morning - shot 2 mallards, 2 cans, 1 gw teal, 1 spoon and 1 speck. (Sucked to have have our worst hunt to date with Justice Scalia in the blind.)

Much the same weather tomorrow, but weekend hunting pressure should force better movement. We'll see...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Jarren » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:48 pm

I never really got into them but managed a few.

Seems things have slowed down even more for us this morning. No shooting opps and not much flying.
Jarren
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Just need that wind to pick back up. One direction or the other will work.
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby Duce » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:44 pm

I hunt just few miles north of gueydan. We hunt rice fields and we still seeing a bunch of ducks. Got 3 man limit this morning. From what i saw and heard we doing alot better than everybody around us.
Duce
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting