Today's hunt??

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Today's hunt??

Postby success » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:15 pm

How'd it go for everybody? We did ok. Shot 8 early on and then when the sun was really up, it died till about 9 when the grays started flying. Problem was, it was so bright and clear they could see for miles and miles. Hunted private land in Terrebonne parish.
I've heard others in SE LA didn't fair much better.
success
hunter

Re: Today's hunt??

Postby Duce » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:14 pm

We also killed 8 today.
Duce
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:25 pm

6 birds 2 huntes. Not many birds in the area. We need a weather change which doesn't look like will happen until the week after Thanksgiving. I HATE EXTREME CLEAR CALM QUITE MORNINGS!!!!! Gueydan area
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:20 am

I like the weather we've been having - just not a week of it. I side with those feeling birds work better on clear days and know I can call them from farther without strong winds. But the birds get stale after a couple days of any weather pattern, and if you can't move into wherever they've found safety and easy eats, you're in for a tough time. Where I'm at in SWLA fresh marsh, call responsive mallards have helped make up for the general lack of bird activity since mid week. Three of us managed to kill thirteen, mostly mallards, yesterday.

Hoping Arkansas and East Zone activity sends us something that doesn't know the drill to tide us over until a weather change shuffles the deck again. We'll see.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:56 am

Rick Hall wrote:I like the weather we've been having - just not a week of it. I side with those feeling birds work better on clear days and know I can call them from farther without strong winds. But the birds get stale after a couple days of any weather pattern, and if you can't move into wherever they've found safety and easy eats, you're in for a tough time. Where I'm at in SWLA fresh marsh, call responsive mallards have helped make up for the general lack of bird activity since mid week. Three of us managed to kill thirteen, mostly mallards, yesterday.

Hoping Arkansas and East Zone activity sends us something that doesn't know the drill to tide us over until a weather change shuffles the deck again. We'll see.

honestly I really dont mind this weather and we have had success in this weather pattern but due to the blind to acreage ratio in my area without a wind it's hard to work the birds. As soon as you get a flocks attention and they begin to work somone will fire a shot and it's over. Weekdays arent so bad. The wind dampens the shot volume. Direction makes a defference as well.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Since any northerly or easterly wind puts me downwind of six or eight blinds that's shooting screws us up, calm days are no special burden for us in that regard. Working birds is almost always a race with the next volley from another blind. Just part of it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Thats pretty much on target. Cross your fingers and hope no one shoots. Lol.llllllvl
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby AaronR » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:06 am

I fee like you should have recieved quite few new birds this weekend. Everyone I know in North La and South Ark all hammered em saturday to come back sunday and see way less birds. Still had great hunts both days. Lots of Mallards! 4 of took home 13 mallards on Sat and 2 of us got 5 mallards on Sunday. Few woodies and teal in the mix as well. Did not see many Gads at all which was a suprise!
AaronR
hunter

Postby UH60blackhawk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Opener in NELA was good for us. Had trouble seeing off ducks so we "4" left with 16 mallards and 3 gadwall and a pintail on Saturday . On Sunday 3 of us finished with 12 mallards , 2 teal, 3 gadwall, and a widgeon. Had several bunches of 20 or more light so it was easy pickings on mallards all weekend.
UH60blackhawk
Newb

Postby adamdu82 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Got our limits this past weekend but it was a little slow getting them. This calm ,clear weather ain't gonna cut it. We need another good front pushing some good north breeze. Looks like we will get it mid next week. Hunt the fronts and Good luck!
adamdu82
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting