scaup

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

scaup

Postby southbistineau » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:18 pm

Do you all eat scaup or pass on them? 90% of what i am killing. Got a mess now and looking to cook some. Any suggestions? Search on the Internet mostly showed people saying they taste bad.
southbistineau
hunter

Re: scaup

Postby teaves2257 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 pm

You must mean Ringnecks, we don't get a lot of scaup in this area. If you are I would like to see pics. Either way sure you can eat them, marinate them good.
teaves2257
hunter

scaup

Postby Captchaz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:05 pm

I kill them all the time when hunting and this yr is the first time I have them this early In the season.. I'm in south Louisiana and they tick here.. Never had anyone tell me they taste bad.

GATOR TRAX 1544 HD / MB35

NUT UP R SHUT UP
Captchaz
hunter

Postby Toledo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:57 pm

They can be a little strong. They feed heavily on clams. Best thing you can do is go ahead and slice them up like you are ready to cook it but leave it in a ziplock full of water in the fridge for a day or two. You will be good to go.
Toledo
hunter

Postby adamdu82 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 pm

I can't say that I've ever eaten a scaup that has had a "bad" taste. I have heard however that later in the season they can take on a stronger taste which may not be as desirable. With that said, I'm mostly a meat hunter and not so much a trophy hunter, so we shoot our limit of scaup along with the other ducks that happen to pass by to fill our bag. I say we should be happy for the ducks we have and not take for granted what's out there. We don't know how long these great seasons will last.
adamdu82
hunter

Postby Andrew22 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:14 am

There's alot of lessers here now. Population use to be dwindling but is on the rise which is why the limit is back to 4. We kill them consistently on the river. Meat is very dark and I've only ever eaten them in gumbo. No complaints.
Andrew22
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:44 pm

You can cook with them fine but soak in a brine- water, ton of salt, head of garlic sliced in half, 1 quarted onion, black peppercorns, red pepper flakes let sit for 2 days with diver ducks one day with puddle ducks. Then you can make what ever and its fine. I also use divers for jerky too. Where you hunting on bistineau?
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby southbistineau » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:46 am

Yes, hunting Bistineau. Tons of scaup/ black jacks out there right now. Been killing greater scaup too with the green timnted head. Can't figure out how to upload pic from this phone. Keeps saying invalid.
southbistineau
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:20 pm

This is a great recipe passed down years! Take the breast and marinate them in whatever you prefer. Put bacon and ducks into oven to cook for 10 minutes. Take them out and throw the breast away and eat the bacon.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby southbistineau » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Okay, never had duck other than at a Chinese place. Making duck and sausage gumbo. Really worried Scaup would taste terrible, especially after reading all the negative comments on the Internet. Soaked it in salt water for two days. Browned bite size pieces in Worcestershire sauce before putting in gumbo. Did a taste test before putting it in and.....tasted just like rare beef. I really liked it. :thumbsup: Can only imagine how good it tastes if marinated, etc. So I will keep shooting black jacks - especially since bistineau is full of them.

I have only killed one mallard. Can't wait to do a side by side taste test.
southbistineau
hunter

Postby adamdu82 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:28 pm

I wouldn't rely on what you read on the internet about scaup. I've never tasted a scaup that tasted any different than any other duck i've tasted. I think it just depends on where you live in the country, where you shoot them, and the feeding habits at that time.
adamdu82
hunter

Postby LSUzeke » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:45 am

We usually pass on dos gris. Typically we are fortunate enough to pack the freezer with grays and teal so we don't really need the meat. If we knock some down I typically freeze them to train the pup. But like previously mentioned I have yet to taste a bad duck that was grilled wrapped in bacon and jalapenos.
LSUzeke
hunter

Postby flight canceler » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:14 pm

we eat black jacks all the time, i am a huge fan of the way ducks taste really aint ever had a bad one but if your not much on the stout taste soak in water in the fridge for a few days and that will take some away
flight canceler
hunter

Postby AaronR » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:04 pm

My favorite way to cook ducks is fajitas. Doesnt matter what kind of duck or even goose. Cut it into strips and saute in fajita seasoning with some veggies and I promise you will not be dissapointed!
AaronR
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting