Dogs??

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Dogs??

Postby Steel Workin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:16 am

Who hunts with a dog in Louisiana? Are the gators a problem everywhere? Coming down in January and not sure if I should bring the dog. Any advice? Thanks
Steel Workin
hunter

Re: Dogs??

Postby AaronR » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:19 am

Not a problem in North La at all. Too cold for the gators to be out i think.
AaronR
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:18 am

I would certainly err on the side of caution, but as long as the weather is cold, you shouldn't have a problem. With that being said, use some good common sense about what your situation is or will be.
Disappointment is almost always defined by ones expectations...
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:49 pm

Once water temps are in the low 60s or below, gators might be seen sunning on warm days, but their metabolisms are slowed beyond feeding. I'm in Southwest Louisiana, and we don't worry about them during the regular season. (September teal season is a very different matter.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby skeeter10 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:36 pm

I agree with Rick Hall. I have hunted with one the last 5 years without any problems during big duck season. We are also in the marshes in SW LA. I actually saw one in our pond last weekend when the temp warmed up, but my dog was in the pond and the gator hardly even moved. We watched it all morning but seemed like the gator was not interested in my dog at all.
skeeter10
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting