Fort Polk Leesville area?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Fort Polk Leesville area?

Postby Triplebanded777 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm new to the area and would appreciate a general guide to an area with a few ducks, so I can introduce my son to the sport. I'm very close to Fort Polk and havent had a chance to meet any fellow hunters. From what I've read Catahoula is the best and Worst! around. I don't want any kind of confrontation with my boy around, just a chance for him to get that feeling when they hook in! Id be willing to put in some work for someone with two open seats one morning on private land. Thanks for any help y'all give me!
Triplebanded777
Newb

Re: Fort Polk Leesville area?

Postby Toledo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:14 am

Catahoula is not as bad as you might think. If you can take a Thursday or Friday off and go give it a shot you should. Take a thursday off work, drive to French Fork, run the whole lake looking for birds, if you find birds holding in an area set up there and wait for them to come back. Most dont care if you use their blinds when they arent there as long as you gladly move if they show up. The place is usually pretty empty in the afternoon during the week and it will give you a chance to learn it during the day light while also getting some hunting in.

Most of the incidents that you hear about are escalated by both sides. You could probably hunt it for years without any real issues as long as you take the high road when you run into the occasional arse. Only those of us out to stand our ground get into confrontations.
Toledo
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting